Lighting Challenge #18: Science Fiction

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2009   #61
can someone provide a obj version of the scene please

Old 01 January 2009   #62
Update:

loads of tweeking done

heres a obj file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GTSLS686

Last edited by Aleg8r : 01 January 2009 at 10:01 AM.

Old 01 January 2009   #63
Originally Posted by kanooshka: Hi hakem, it's great to have a newcomer! For the first step of lighting I would suggest asking yourself what mood you want to convey in you render. Once you have figured out the mood you wish to convey you can decide on the color and placement of your first main key light.

A good guide for the positioning of lighting for moods can be found here : http://www.videomaker.com/article/10216/
Some basic color theory : http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html

For an indoor scene your best place to start would be to create a spot light, give it the color you've decided on and have this light be your light with the highest intensity. When you have that key light exactly where you want it you can use spotlights,arealights and/or volumelights to create the light bouncing around the room. Happy lighting!

thanks very much

I'll do it now

Old 01 January 2009   #64
My Try

Hi to all, very interesting beginnings, it is second challange for me, i'm having fun working on the project, big thanks for this to Jeremybirn ..
Ok, my first test

Old 01 January 2009   #65
Red face New Tryout

Hi guys,

Here's my new render still no FG/GI.
Rendered in 30min.

known issue: eyes of the bot look a bit flat.

C&C are more than welcome as always.

thanks.

-phil

Old 01 January 2009   #66
One more C&C will be nice to hear.

Old 01 January 2009   #67
Slazzo, great renders!! I like very much the romantic mood

Old 01 January 2009   #68
My photos Don`t laughin )

Hi all. My shots . I just have a problems with reference pictures such kind of scenes and don`t know how to texture it ( So already lightened some how )
Maya --> Mental Ray

I need some advices

Old 01 January 2009   #69
This is my first post in a lighting challange. I thought i try a different aproach to scifi... a more industrial one. It's still WIP. Comments are welcome.

Rendered with Mental Ray in Maya: Rendertime: ~ 15min (with occl & depth pass)

Old 01 January 2009   #70
ok I'm in.

here's my start. I'm going for a pretty dirty, dusty, sort of firefly-look.
Haven't worked on the shaders yet but I think I've set the mood I had pictured.
I think this darker set will really come alive once all the buttons are glowing.

Old 01 January 2009   #71
So glad for the new scene! I've been a longtime lurker of these challenges, and I'm going to attempt to make this my first one.

Jeremy, thanks so much for continually holding these! A true inspiration for us all. Juan too! Thank you!

Old 01 January 2009   #72
Thumbs up Feedback !

Kellios - Welcome!

philip - Good start. Some rim light outlining the robot, and/or maybe glowing eyes, could really help him pop.

kerschyb - That's great. There's a problem we call "tangency" (when two things line-up too well by accident) that's hurting the image. The white scanner-beam thing coming out of the robot lines-up too perfectly with the side wall of the hallway he's in. If you eliminate the tangency, the whole image will read better. I wonder if we couldn't be closer to the center of interest, too, if big parts of the bottom and right of the scene don't have much interesting?

ShamKiR - Nice work! I especially like the more close-up one. The subtle color in the eyes works. The bold purple in the buttons could be OK if you add more color to other parts of the shot, maybe add colored lights to the panels, but otherwise having just one part of the image so saturated, right near the bottom, makes them pop out too much.

Slazzo - That's great! Lots of fun! A little kick of light from the side might help the white of the robot pop-out better against the white background, and also could help give some presence to his black parts. Some more variety in the control panels would add to the shot, especially since it's such a wide shot that emphasizes the environment.

phil-w8 - Welcome! That's a good start! You don't need to crop off his hand. The reflections on the floor don't match the hallway they are reflecting: they don't show the bright lights, but they do show a reflection of a bright ceiling. Maybe this is a compositing mistake, but if it's all in one pass make sure your shadows are appearing in reflections, and make sure all the geometry is visible in reflections. A little more color variety in the lights ould help the scene.

Aleg8r - Nice scene! I think the robot needs more variety in his lighting, maybe light from above and the sides? Keep going!

wasimattar - Great! Nice carpaint shader on the bot. Keep going. Focus on his eyes, too!

runejw - Nice airy scene. Hopefully new files will help with providing a robot for the first scene. I'm glad you've got spares, though!

klabund - OK, if that's what you're going for, go for it. Shading that subtle is possible. Such a blank environment certainly focuses you on the colorful figure in the shot.

MircoP - Nice scene! I think the shadow on the floor in the center foreground becomes very dominant, make sure it fits with the overall lighting and comes from a realistic perspective.

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2009   #73
2nd Version

Thanks for the great feedback Jeremy! I incorporated all of your suggestions, and did a lot of small tweaks to shadows, and added bounce lights. Mostly I brought the render time down from over an hour, to under 4 minutes. So I'm happy about that, but still a lot to do.

Old 01 January 2009   #74
Originally Posted by darinclifton: This looks very nice, are you using RFM or RFM pro (Studio), the main reason for asking is if you are using hypershade or slim for your shaders. Would love to see you lighting setup when you get things ironed out. I am dabbling with Renderman, to the dismay of my L&R TD.

For a more constructive comment, you may want to try to color shift the robot fill light more toward green or maybe introduce some other blue sources in the scene, maybe some small lights?
D

Thank you!
I'm using RFM for this scene.
With the blue light, i tried to simulate an external light, such as the night light that comes through some aperture. It's not motivated. Yes, i'll shft my key_light toword the green in the next update.
Bye,
Mirco

Old 01 January 2009   #75
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: Kellios - Welcome!

MircoP - Nice scene! I think the shadow on the floor in the center foreground becomes very dominant, make sure it fits with the overall lighting and comes from a realistic perspective.

-jeremy

Thank you Jeremy!
I'll change my key light toward a green and place it in a different perspective!
Bye,
Mirco

reply share thread