Lighting Challenge #18: Science Fiction

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2009   #46
HDR Images

Rendering

Used Inspirer and Vivaldi

Old 01 January 2009   #47
Hello,

This is what I have so far. I still have more texturing to go. Please comment & crit.
Max 2009 + VRay 1.5

Last edited by rmejia : 03 March 2009 at 04:07 PM.

Old 01 January 2009   #48
Hi!
My first try - C4D+Vray - 10 minutes.
Still a lot to do

Old 01 January 2009   #49
Thumbs up Feedback !

rmejia - Nice idea having cables glow. A lot of the scene looks very uniform in tone to me, I wonder if there could be bigger shifts in lighting with more coming from the side, or back-to-front differences between different areas of the scene, to help create focus in particular areas and distinguish different parts of the environment?

Buca - Thanks for sharing the Max 9 file that's on-line now! That's looking good. The cables could use some more subdivision. For the lower light panels (which you have lit-up in your first render layer) I'm not really clear if they are supposed to be self-illuminating, or just happen to be very bright, uniformly lit surfaces. I hope you can make that clear one way or another. The reflectivity on the floor could do more, make sure the yellow arches reflect if the lights next to them do. The dark tone that's hit in the right side hallway is a good level of contrast that could be approached in the far hallway too (at maximum distance before you enter the end hallway with the blue.) The foreground left side could also go darker, except for the little lights.

atilla - Nice scene! I like the optical dispersion on the robot reflection, very retro looking! The colors in the background are less constructive, I can't see how the yellow and blue around the lights means anything. Maybe the controls along the left side could include some smaller light sources or colored displays as well?

jipe - That's a good start overall. On the lower right, you have an area with a very soft edge, making the illumination look very soft, but it has relatively hard-edged shadows on the floor. Mayne you could use softer shadows to go with the shaping on the light. I'd like to see your main subject position in the shot, especially if its the robot, before you go too much farther with lighting the set. You've got a few practical lights (the little ligths built into the set) on in the upper left. For some of those you'll need to make them look as if they are really illuminating other parts of the set. Probably there will be a lot more little lights on different panels, too?

kanooshka - That's looking really good! I don't think the ceiling needs to be much brighter overall, maybe just give more of a glow right at the light fixtures. The area behind the robot, with the round thing next to the bright wall, needs some work. If that area is bright because of light coming from those little fixtures, then those three lights need a more narrow and defined cone so they don't come so close to the top of the set, and they need crisper shadows. Some bounce light on the round thing would help on the left side where it faces the bright wall. The materials there could be updated, so the tubes aren't so black. The robot arms and hand don't read very well, maybe a kick from above onto the dark parts could help define them? You could do more with the small lights in the panels, especially as you move off into the darker hallways in the distance.

BlenderFan - More file formats are coming soon, I promise!

djeanimation - That looks great. I think the robot needs some diffuse illumination, especially some rims and kicks along the top and left of his body, arm, and tires. The finalgather might not be doing enough for you in diffuse illumination, either turn the FG scale up 2 or 3 times as high, or start adding more real lights.

MircoP - Good start! The DOF going off into the distance will be nice, especially with the little lights in the set and some bokeh. Try to get the spotlights in the foreground to look more like they come from those downward-aiming light fixtures on the ceiling, maybe different pools of light and shadows more below the robot.

phil-w8 - Good start. The robot seems to have rim light on his upper right, but the big light source is behind him to the left. Adding rim light on his left side could better integrate him, and also could help define his hand better, bring out the texture on his tires, etc. Do we need his other hand cropped off? Can we do more with his eyes? Some smaller lights might help add definition to that long hallway. Keep going overall.

klabund - More file formats are coming soon, I promise! Right now the lighting looks very uniform, with a lot of contrast in the materials.

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2009   #50
Helping someone from China

Originally Posted by StephenQ: hi Jeremy,i really wanna do this challenge but i always cant open the website and download the models so could you send the models to my e-mail?i will very pleasure to you,en....this is my e-mail:etandforg@163.com

That's funny. I know that other people in mainland China can successfully visit 3dRender.com. I'd be sorry if my site was suddenly blocked there.

Now I'd be worried about sending you e-mail, because my e-mail address is in the same domain you're saying you can't visit.

Maybe someone else can help you out? It's a Maya format you need, right?

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2009   #51
Originally Posted by hakem: hi guys

I'm beginner in maya

and i don't know how to start

with which type of lights should i start ??

thanks

Start with some of the lights in the set, whether it's a spot light in one of the ceiling fixtures, or an area light on a light panel, and try to match it, get the illumination and decay and shadows to all look like light really comes from that light source. Test-render each light with all your other lights hidden, to make sure you know what each light is doing. If you want a slightly easier job of adding the first light, choose a direction for an off-screen light, such as light coming from a side hallway or down a shaft, and add a spot light with shadows coming from there.

Overall you want to define the character (robot) and set (the hallways) with your lighting, so you want to make sure that things at different distances are defined with different brightness and direction of light. Be careful not to make your whole scene too uniform in lighting. Look for nice gradients in what you light, so surfaces move from light to dark in different areas. Focus on learning basics like working with spot lights and shadows first. Turning on fancy modes like final gathering, etc. doesn't really make your life any easier, but would make each test slower.

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2009   #52
Thumbs up Feedback Continued !

wasimattar - Great start on the black-and-white scene!

Aleg8r - Nice scene. I think some of the walls could get a little darker in areas, you don't want the whole scene to look too uniform.

TyDeL - Welcome! That's a good start, nice dramatic elements there. I think the lighting could do more to tie the scene together. You've got this bright red area, I'd like to see red illumination from that rimming the top and front edges of the robot, as if he was lit by the red light behind him there. Maybe his eyes could be a contrasing color like green, to help them stand-out from what's behind him. There's a patch of pink light just behind the robot's head that has very hard-edged shadows, try to soften those, and if that illumination is coming from the side hallway give it some decay so you make a nice gradient instead of just a flat area. You might also choose another color for the light from the left hallway, not reddish, so it contrasts with the red in the center, then add some red to the sides of the equipment that are facing the red fan.

Ashrafabdelaziz
- Welcome! Keep going with that, I can't see much of it yet.

Leotril - Great start! Looks like you're developing some drama there. I don't know why the focus is on the fan area instead of the robot, but I'll wait and see how it all develops. Maybe there's another robot, and one is good, the other evil?

HOOJK
- Good start! The lighting looks fairly uniform through those hallways, I'd like to see some areas made brighter or darker, especially as you head off into the distance. The hoses that have a black material and not much reflection look too dark.

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2009   #53
Thank you Jeremy and thanks to the others for the suggestions!

Here's some lighting improvements and a little of bokeh effect.
It remains a lot of work to do,expecially on the shaders...
I wanna give to the robot a "toy look", with a plastic shader.
As always, Renderman for the rendering, point cloud global illumination and many lights.
Render time: about 10 minutes.
Bye,

Mirco Paolini

Old 01 January 2009   #54
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: klabund - More file formats are coming soon, I promise! Right now the lighting looks very uniform, with a lot of contrast in the materials.

Jeremy,
Thank you so much for the feedback. I see what you're criticizing here, since I obviously went for this kind of '2001' and 'Silent Running' combined look, which is uniformly lit and draws the attention to the main characters - unfortunately, I had no robot yet:

I'll try to come up with a different, more dramatic lighting scheme. The model is a beauty and it's a great pleasure to play with it. Thank you to provide these challenges!

~Daniele

Last edited by klabund : 01 January 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Old 01 January 2009   #55
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: That's funny. I know that other people in mainland China can successfully visit 3dRender.com. I'd be sorry if my site was suddenly blocked there.
Maybe someone else can help you out? It's a Maya format you need, right?

I sent him the MAYA file; hopefully it gets through.

Old 01 January 2009   #56
Since the FBX format is the only one I can get partially into XSI I started doing some lighting with the "exploded view" model adding a missing ladder and a couple of walls...

So we could call it "Scotty! Beam the Robo down!" (You can see he's started to materialize in a bright light there... )

Rendertime waaaay to long (ca 1h) since I went overboard on AA, reflective materials and too many area lights. And that's even without any FG/GI !

**EDIT 16. jan** the story continues....

Something went horribly wrong as Robo was beamed down...
The FBX teleporter beam was new and untested technology and Robo had to pay the price as most of his parts simply vanished across countless light years between stars...

The old C7 reserve bot made creaking sounds as he walked over to pick up the pieces.
Those parts that remained had fluctuating and unstable timespace geometry.

Rendertime ca 20 min on best quality, this time in Carrara 7 Pro. No FG/GI. A little DOF blur in post on the second.

Last edited by runejw : 01 January 2009 at 05:25 PM.

Old 01 January 2009   #57
kanooshka

Who needs GI! great work!

Last edited by darinclifton : 01 January 2009 at 04:44 AM.

Old 01 January 2009   #58
Originally Posted by MircoP: Thank you Jeremy and thanks to the others for the suggestions!

Here's some lighting improvements and a little of bokeh effect.
It remains a lot of work to do,expecially on the shaders...
I wanna give to the robot a "toy look", with a plastic shader.
As always, Renderman for the rendering, point cloud global illumination and many lights.
Render time: about 10 minutes.

This looks very nice, are you using RFM or RFM pro (Studio), the main reason for asking is if you are using hypershade or slim for your shaders. Would love to see you lighting setup when you get things ironed out. I am dabbling with Renderman, to the dismay of my L&R TD.

For a more constructive comment, you may want to try to color shift the robot fill light more toward green or maybe introduce some other blue sources in the scene, maybe some small lights?
D

Last edited by darinclifton : 01 January 2009 at 05:13 AM.

Old 01 January 2009   #59
This is the first take on texture of the BOT

Old 01 January 2009   #60
try taking reference of different science fiction movie then choose one style out of it and work towards it.

Originally Posted by vivekdavinci: Hi guys,
I am a novice here,
This is my first attempt in this lighting challenge,
Can any one help me with finding reference of any sci-fi scenes?
Thank u.

reply share thread