Lighting Challenge #17: Natural History

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 11 November 2008   #61
Maya Improtons

Anyone using Maya Improtons and Irradiance Particles ? I would love to see some IP- Rays Emitted ETC ETC... settings that work, I'm having a extremely hard time making them work with this scene....

Because sharing is caring those who are interested in Maya IP and Importons here is a great article...

http://forum.lamrug.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1608&p=7124

Old 11 November 2008   #62
Trying out different approaches to lighting. Maya/mental ray, rendertime 3-8 minutes (1024x768).

Last edited by visua : 11 November 2008 at 11:16 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #63
Hi guys, here is my view on it, my first challenge and enjoying it!
may try some volumetric through the skylights but dont want to brighten it up too much what do you think?

Gear is Dual Quad Xeons - 8GB Ram - Rendered straight from Max9 in V-ray no post at the moment.

Cheers
Phil

Old 11 November 2008   #64
PlainJane

Some good looking starts posted already - I wanted to get in the queue.
So here is a no textures piece done in 3dsmax. No tex on buildings , I mean. The TREX has a simple texture.
Light is one directional area light outside, and one attenuated Omni that casts only on TREX bones... to give it shape, spec hits, and body. The rest of illumination is from global illumination in FinalRender... settings are turned up for secondary bounce multiplier.

FinalRender is still the fastest off the shelf renderer out there for speed/quality... with possible exception of Renderman (which is way too expensive for one man) .. I have a vfx workstation (Dual Quadcore BOXX with Quadro fx 4600 - 4GB RAM) and am able to get this in 2 min, 49 sec.

But, in production, I would camera map the walls...once I had my lighting... and get it back to 20 seconds per frame or less for the room.

Old 11 November 2008   #65
Camera position and Light-settings

I use Maxon Andvanced Render 3.
Rendertime 120 min.
6 Renderclients (6x AMD Phenom 9550, 4GB RAM, Vista 64bit).
Including regulars Net render boo-boos (wrong settings.....my fault).
I think, the Ambient occlusion is too strong...?!
Yes, the perspective distortion :-/ ...i will amend this

Last edited by Sealaender : 11 November 2008 at 10:42 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #66
Red face

Hey!
Strugling with the textures...

Last edited by HOOJK : 11 November 2008 at 02:02 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #67
last update

i am still working on it

3dmax2008_vray_photoshopcs2

Old 11 November 2008   #68
Thumbs up

great - guys!

@moses: cool stuff! only the glass cage is a little bit disturbing.

@gordon: i like the middle composition (focus point directly on t-rex...). do you really think square aspect ratio is the best for this? nice contrast and appealing mood! can you explain - how did you achieve it?

that came out from my perspective tests....

first real rendertest done in Maya2008, physical sun&sky (enabled sec. bounces) + ambientocclusion texture - but this looks awful yet ...

Old 11 November 2008   #69
First Step

I'm going to give this a try too. Rendering in Max9 + Vray w/GI. No textures yet just trying to get happy with the light sources first...

Old 11 November 2008   #70
Very nice scene but what happend to all normals?, half of all objects is normal incorrect :/.

Old 11 November 2008   #71
.obj manageable

Has anyone made a split version of the .obj file yet? I gave it another shot but until I add ram I'm dead in the water.

To all who have posted images so far, they look great, part of the reason I'm inspired to start this challenge.

Last edited by gregsandor : 11 November 2008 at 07:12 AM.

Old 11 November 2008   #72
I recommend using the Blender version in Jeremy's page to get an alternative export method that suits better your resources and needs (in stages, enabling/disabling options, etc). Blender has got many exporting options with several parameters for each of them.

Last edited by Samo : 11 November 2008 at 11:29 AM.

Old 11 November 2008   #73
Here's an update. Im going to be doing multiple 'versions' since we appear to have plenty of time. Along with a day, I'm starting a night version. Some initial lighting/textures. Have a long ways to go yet.

And a link to a larger version:

LINK

BTW, everyone's stuff is looking great so far! Looking forward to seeing more.

Old 11 November 2008   #74
Originally Posted by gregsandor: Has anyone made a split version of the .obj file yet? I gave it another shot but until I add ram I'm dead in the water.

To all who have posted images so far, they look great, part of the reason I'm inspired to start this challenge.

Sure thing, Greg! Now there are 2 different OBJ files on the download page:

• Natural_History_OBJ.rar - This is the original OBJ file that Samo exported from Blender after he built the scene. Apart from the Blender version itself, all the other file formats have been derived from this one.
  • Natural_History_MultiPart_OBJ.rar - This has the scene split into 10 OBJ and MTL files, which I exported from Maya after splitting the scene into 10 different groups.
I'm glad to see that most people are having good luck with getting such a large, complex scene working on their systems. This is not a trivial proposition.

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 11 November 2008 at 05:53 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #75
Thanks Jeremy. I'll dl it now.

fushizzle that looks cool.

reply share thread