Lighting Challenge #17: Natural History

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 11 November 2008   #46
hi guys

I would like to share some information with you that can be helpful to lit this scene.

Originally lamps were used to lit this famous central hall, they can be barelly seen in this old photo (notice the volumetric effect BTW):

Nowadays natural skylight and spot lights are used. The spotlights main task is lighting the painted ceilings. Example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lnp1/2947024055/

There are dozens of images about this hall in Flickr. Input "london natural history museum" in the search tool. They can be helpful to get 'a second opinion' about a particular look. BTW some of those frontal images were really helpful to model this work.

There are two lamps types in the 3D scene, located at both ends.

Last edited by Samo : 11 November 2008 at 12:35 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #47
I've got a question regarding this challenge and the previous one (lighthouse),
the scenes are only available as polymodelled objects, no NURBS models.

It's the first time I render larger scenes like these...

My issue: rendering time in Rhino 4 + VRay
it takes about 10-20 minutes for a "quick" test render, without any materials set up,
is it because of the polycount, or because of incompatibility with the nurbs modeler rhino ?
(I know rhino converts a nurbs object to a polygon mesh before rendering, but I want to be sure it doesn't make a difference before I go on trying to make my renders faster)

Hardware: Q6600 2.4ghz, 4gb ram

Render settings for the test render were:
reso: 320x240
GI on => primary IR (multiplier 1) => secondary QMC (multiplier 0.8)
IR map settings: -5,-3 + standard values

Any help or advise would be appreciated

Old 11 November 2008   #48
draft

heres mine,
a draft texture and draft lightning.
im starting to enjoy this challenge, coz this is my first time to render and texture a very huge interior scene..
so guys help me out specially in texturing...i think texturing will be the most hardest part..

max09, vraysp2, cs3..
render time i think 5mins @ 1.6k resolution. GI low settings
mac pro 8core xeon processor, 4gb ram, XP 64Bit

Old 11 November 2008   #49
Thumbs up jeremybirn,

Hi jeremy, I still have problems with max file. I'm using Max 9. I already know that I can import obj. dxf. ... ... but where can I find them?

thanks for your info.

I'm looking forward to take the file, to work on it.!!!

Old 11 November 2008   #50
Yes.. the max file posted is a Max 2009 file.... some normals are flipped.. but I have posted a max 9 version.. all you have to do is flip all textures to 2-sided... and they'll render ok.... just viewport will have the flip issues.

Here:
http://www.vfxproduction.tv/BIRN/NatHist/Natural_History_3dmax_9.zip

Old 11 November 2008   #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHoo
Yeah, you have to work on texture projections and texturing by your own, the scene is not prepared with uv layouts.

thanks for the heads up MrHoo and jeremyBirn, I didn't know objects couldn't contain ANY UVs. I thought maya created UVs at each vertice at the time of vetice creation (or somthing along those lines). I know maya doesn't nicely lay them out for you but I thought they at least existed. I was thrown for a loop there.

Now that that's solved, on to those darn stairs... those are going to be fun.

Last edited by metal0130 : 11 November 2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: I felt like it :)

Old 11 November 2008   #52
got the scene!

thanks mmoses00 !!!

At last! I've got the scene, I'll begin working on it!!

Old 11 November 2008   #53
Some more work on the light setups. Also added a little level correction and grain in photoshop to get a sense of what I may do once I get the layers into a compositor.

Pretty happy, though I'll probably tweak as I add some objects and texture, which I can hopefully start soon.

Old 11 November 2008   #54
okay heres an update.. just added a few lights.. and tried a different angle..

visit my
Lighting & Rendering Blog

Last edited by herbertagudera : 11 November 2008 at 07:52 AM.

Old 11 November 2008   #55
narrowed it down

Ok, I think I'm happy with this mood and camera/light angle, I'll tweak it a lot in post though I'm sure :/. T-rex took a visit to zbrush and got transposed into more of an attack position. Cranked up the GI settings for this render. Vray dirt override material. Some post work was done to this to see what kind of look im going for. Time to start on all the other good stuff.
Much more needs tweaked.

Curtis

Old 11 November 2008   #56
Tweaked my image a bit. My basic light setup is a combination of spotlights, GI and HDRI with Caustics also turned on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NaturalHistory02.jpg (85.7 KB, 361 views)

Old 11 November 2008   #57
Natural History Museum progress-1

Hey, All.
Here's my first stab at this scene. It's little more than a sketch at this point. I'm hoping to create a feeling of menace in this scene, maybe adding some school children to the left side of the staircase. I may try a few more cameras, but I do like the one point perspective on the grand stair. I'm using 3DS Max with Vray for GI and photoshop for post.

Thanks to Alvaro Luna Bautista and Joel Andersdon these models are AWESOME!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg progress-01.jpg (80.9 KB, 195 views)

Old 11 November 2008   #58
Smile

Count me in!

Old 11 November 2008   #59
Hey Jeremy & Curtis! Very nice from both of you...

...and Shane! I didn't recognize the screen name. ;-)

Last edited by timmatron : 11 November 2008 at 03:38 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #60
A few first drafts. i JUST got the file setup this morning, No real materials yet. LONG way to go! Still playing with cameras and light angles. I've got a few more angles but apparently there's a 3 file max... I'll have some more updates soon. Maybe a night shot. I'll figure that out once I decide on a camera...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test dinos 1 11-06-08-2.jpg (84.7 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg test Dinos 2 11-06-08-2.jpg (86.7 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg test arch view 11-06-08-2.jpg (75.8 KB, 398 views)

reply share thread