Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #31
metal0130
Veteran

portfolio
Dan Bolan
Clackamas, USA

Sorry for the noobish question... In maya, none of my texture maps are displaying correctly on the objects. I apply a texture to the floor and in the perspective window (after pressing 6 for hardware texing) the shade will change but the texture still will not appear, nor will it in the render. If I apply a UV projection of any sort, then the texture will show.

I just started using maya 2009 this morning if there is something new that I am overlooking.

Is there something on the model that needs to be changed for textures to work right?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:14 AM   #32
scorpion66
portfolio
ahmed yhya shopery
Saudi Arabia

first try to me without texture

Last edited by scorpion66 : 11-05-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:14 AM   #33
ingramworks
Frequenter
portfolio
Bruce Ingram
Digital Artist
ingramworks digital
Houston, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to ingramworks
Hey all, love this model, a great challenge. Here's my start, no textures yet and still a work in progress.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #34
tuffmutt1
avaialable for work

portfolio
uday kadkade
Mumbai, India

wow neat challenge. hope i can get in on this this time.been backbrakingly busy past 2 months.

ngramworks: very nice approach to the lighting. i love it...keep going. what are you using to render it with?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #35
MrHoo
There and back again...

portfolio
Dominik Markota
3D Artist
Mainworks München GmbH
Munich, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal0130
Sorry for the noobish question... In maya, none of my texture maps are displaying correctly on the objects. I apply a texture to the floor and in the perspective window (after pressing 6 for hardware texing) the shade will change but the texture still will not appear, nor will it in the render. If I apply a UV projection of any sort, then the texture will show.

I just started using maya 2009 this morning if there is something new that I am overlooking.

Is there something on the model that needs to be changed for textures to work right?

Yeah, you have to work on texture projections and texturing by your own, the scene is not prepared with uv layouts.

Great challenge by the way, will step in by time!!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #36
raylistic
Still in the mood
Raymond Chua
Singapore

Send a message via ICQ to raylistic Send a message via MSN to raylistic Send a message via Yahoo to raylistic
ingramworks: very nice! Could you share how you lit them? any FG or GI used? Any compositing?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #37
zenerry
Veteran
portfolio
Pol Senserrich
Texturing - Modeling - Rendering
ARDMedia
IGUALADA, España

Send a message via MSN to zenerry
Wink 3ds max scene file

hi everybody,

I can't open the Max scene. I says there's a problem with that file.

Anybody is working with that file? can anybody share it to me?

I'd like trying to work on it.

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #38
jasvant
JASSI

portfolio
Abhinav Singh%2B
Lighting Artist
meerut, India

Dino Fight

hello jeremy sir,here is my entry.i used maya,mental ray(gi,fg).i used 800000 photons in global illumnation and rendertime is 10 minutes.for dinosaur texture i used layer shaders and procedural maps.post production done with photoshop.hope you will like it.

Last edited by jasvant : 11-05-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #39
BinaryRay

portfolio
Binary Ray
Designer
Athens, Greece

Cool

Well Rexxy, do you still insist that south is the right way?

The scene was too big for my machine to render so i tried something else...
I am using 3ds max 2009 with mental ray, in a 1gb ram single pentium processor desktop.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #40
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

Feedback !

PakosM - Good job! Maybe if you split the scene into more layers you could render more?

jasvant - That's great! I think the dino texture is nice, but a little rough, maybe just softening it and wearing it down a little would help. The light from the window looks nice. I'd like to see the view through the window blown-out to pure white, with a little glow around it, to fit with the exposure level inside. In the sunbeam, the dino head has some strange angular shadows on it, and could use more bounce light permeating the inside of the skull.

zenerry - Did you un-archive the .rar file yet? What version of Max are you using? (Max can import other file formats like .fbx, .obj, etc. if you need it to.)

ingramworks - Great! Nice to see you start out with good basic color choices. That dino could get some more light on him, at least on the front part.

scorpion66 - Good start. I hope everyone starts posting info about software used, render times, and techniques.

metal0130 - Assign UVs, at least select objects and choose "Automatic Mapping." For software rendering, any projection or 3D procedural would look just the same without UVs, but you need UVs assigned to preview textures in hardware like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses00
Can we ask that submissions include some stats: what renderer, render times, 3d package used, and basic machine specs? I am very interested in what's going on behind these cool renders.
Good idea, Matt! I hope everyone posts render times, software used, etc.

HOOJK - Good start. It's looking nice and solid.

herbertagudera
- Good start. I agree other compositions could work, the symmetrical one with the pink bar in the center isn't as dramatic as it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylistic
Look great peeps. So after the lighting draft, the next step is to add textures and shaders?
Shaders are a very good idea. Get the basic over-all colors, set whether the glass and floor are reflective, those things really help set the scene. If you see a background through the doors/windows, try to get that the way you like early, too.

visua - Good start! I hope everyone starts posting info about software used, render times, and techniques. If you were using Maya then clicking Automatic mapping or something to assign UVs could be a good idea.

fuhshizzle - That's great! Even with a symmetrical composition, moving the light to one side makes a big difference. With the lit dino facing away from us, maybe something should be done to the other dino to get a sense of reaction in him, or some other center of attention could be where the lit dino is looking? If you want, you're allowed to move the dinos around, too.

Voigg - Good start.

Fex - Thanks for providing the Houdini version of the scene we have for download. Good start on your first post, too.

BlenderFan - Good start! You should start with shaders/materials early on, if the floor is going to be reflective you'll want to see it in lighting tests.

Leotril - Good start with your first post. I hope everyone starts posting info about software used, render times, and techniques.

-jeremy

Old 11-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #41
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

One More Link...

I already posted a bunch of links about the building, but here's a music video with scenes shot there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRUsdQ-rNVk
The section in London Natural History Museum starts at 0:53.

-jeremy

Old 11-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #42
Cabbage82
Veteran

portfolio
Shaun Hillary
3D Generalist
Freelancer
Benoni, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Cabbage82
Heres my entry... still work in progress. I just thought I'd post it and hopefuly get some crits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NaturalHistory.jpg (62.8 KB, 561 views)

Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #43
ingramworks
Frequenter
portfolio
Bruce Ingram
Digital Artist
ingramworks digital
Houston, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to ingramworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffmutt1
ngramworks: very nice approach to the lighting. i love it...keep going. what are you using to render it with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylistic
ingramworks: very nice! Could you share how you lit them? any FG or GI used? Any compositing?

Thanks I'm using Cinema4D's built-in render engine with GI. Trying to approach the scene as I've seen DP's on pratical sets do, so it's a great challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybirn
ingramworks - Great! Nice to see you start out with good basic color choices. That dino could get some more light on him, at least on the front part.

Totally agree, was the last bit I was working on before turning my attentiion to the events of last night, but I'm still not happy with his light source. I also plan to introduce some more pratical sources around the set as well as improve the dynamics of that fill light off on the right. Lighting large spaces pratically is very tough and equally as tough in a virtual space as well, so thanks for provided this model, it's a fun challenge

Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #44
swihartc

portfolio
Curtis Swihart
Sr. 3d Generalist
Tampa, USA

Lighting challenge 17 submission

Hey all, see some good stuff on here. I got the model last night and started cleaning and moving things around. There are so many good combinations of camera angle and lighting moods that could work for this. I will spend another day or so playing with lights and camera to get a good mood feel before steaming ahead. So far though, here are some screenshots of possible moods. I used max9, vray for GI. Very very low settings for light samples to get as many render tests out as possible . Vray dirt override material.

CS

Old 11-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #45
Shordy
Frequenter

portfolio
Mario Kelterbaum
3D Artist
Cologne, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Shordy
nice renders @all

here is my beginning... i think the floor is too dark i will search vor some gray marble...

reply share thread