General Discussion Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2006
I would think obj is safest.

I'm using Modo and LW. Modo opened your last object as over 100 layers (I'm assuming it was some kind of history that it was seeing). LW Modeler opened it with a few seperate layers.

LW doesn't do nurbs.

01 January 2006
Thumbs up

well, feb 1 sounds very close from now. . and very short in my case as i could only spend some part of my time after work. I think i should take the next challenge a bit seriously and be prepared myself and plan the time. But u r doing a great job. .

02 February 2006
How's the new challenge coming along? Cant wait for an update, getting jittery!

Astro Man
!!!!!!!

Six Tuts On Light And Shade

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by floze: How's the new challenge coming along? Cant wait for an update, getting jittery!

We should have it on-line within 24 hours. Really. The writing's done, I just have a lot of modeling to do getting the set together.

Importing the .obj file into different software, how many people found that all the objects got merged together into one big object? One lightwave user complained about hours of work separating polygons before materials and textures could be assigned. :(

Would it help if the .rar held a directory with 10 or 15 .obj files, like walls.obj, trim.obj, table.obj, etc. so you import each of them separately and can group them however you want? (Or do we need "file format volunteers" to do conversion for more specific formats for Max, C4D, etc.?)

I think everyone should start their own thread with their entries for the next challenge. Some people might be making up to four differently lit looks for a scene (or differently comped looks...), each look might have multiple revisions, add a breakdown and feedback and that's enough for a separate thread for each person's work, right?

-jeremy

02 February 2006
I think that the multiple .rar files will be helpful for the people who faced the problem, but many of us didn't. If storage space on the server isn't an issue, both would be the best option. If you need a mirror let me know.

I also think that each individual starting a thread will be beneficial, so that participants are more likely to get feedback and critique, some got passed by in this experiment.

On a VFX Hiatus

02 February 2006
Importing obj can get tricky mostly because importer plugin options - in most programs i've used, there was a little checkbox saying 'merged', or 'single' or something to that effect - and sometimes these settings are hidden....If objects are exported properly, it's the matter of finding right settings.

02 February 2006
Hi,
I would prefer the idea of "file format volunteers". You guys are right, everyone should have their own thread where they can post wip pics, different passes and different versions of the shot. Even commenting on someone's work will be easier with this.

Even I dont mind helping out for mirrors of the model files.

Thanks for the challenge and the help.

02 February 2006
I’ve got a room scene that can be used in future challenges LINK

02 February 2006
Wow, that's quite a room. I'd like to examine it, but the objects are executables which means no dice on OSX.

02 February 2006
That's great Bryan -

I'm sure we could use that for something in a future month!

-jeremy

02 February 2006
99% made by me so copyright won't be a problem. mr. Jeremy I send you a pm with details...
Respect,
Djordje
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (70.9 KB, 210 views)

02 February 2006
Jeremy: can you sticky the Lighting Challenge threads, tutorials & breakdowns and this thread please?

02 February 2006
My idea for a future challenge is doing a classic character portrait with a fixed perspective (Mona Lisa/Albrecht Dürer self-portrait style*). Though it might be more difficult than lighting static stuff like indoor shots, I see no reason why we shouldnt try that. It definitely would be fun.

*Not the quality, but the portrait approach!

Astro Man
!!!!!!!

Six Tuts On Light And Shade

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by floze: My idea for a future challenge is doing a classic character portrait with a fixed perspective (Mona Lisa/Albrecht Dürer self-portrait style*). Though it might be more difficult than lighting static stuff like indoor shots, I see no reason why we shouldnt try that. It definitely would be fun.

*Not the quality, but the portrait approach!

You've seen how well I model ceiling fans, now you want me to build you the Mona Lisa???

Seriously, we are looking for more character models, I agree that lighting animated characters is really important. I think we are going to start the hare/hair challenge early next month, but some animated characters should be on the slate soon, especially when we find someone with something worth lighting that's already been built, posed, and maybe can include texture maps.

-jeremy

03 March 2006
Cool

Honestly, I thought the "single big thread" for everyone was way more productive.

It's too hard to remember who's thread you read or not (and CGTalk servers don't keep good track of it, IMHO).

It was much more fun w. challenge #1, IMHO!!

/Z

reply share thread