Lighting Challenge #15: Film Noir

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2008   #46
to MasterZap, teach me your ways.

FeD: Amazing work!!! I can't seem to nitpick too much. I like the fog that you added but there seems to be some AA problems if you look at the post before the pumps. That's the only thing that I can notice. Nice work, definitely excited to see more from you

Keep up the awesome work!

Old 05 May 2008   #47
This is my first challange and my first post, it is just a what I have so far I am not sure about the compisition so any thoughts would be welcomed.

Old 05 May 2008   #48
Hey
film noir !! Brillant Idea !
so far this is my entry, render in Mentalray and comped in photoshop

v2

Ill apreciate feedback !! thanks

laslast version

Last edited by Phantom-vfx : 06 June 2008 at 06:37 AM.

Old 05 May 2008   #49
Wink DAy2

Hello all looks like I am gonna be spending a lot of time here since I cant afford school this summer :(. But I still need my daily's, THX to cgtalk I aint going into withdrawls.
Kinda feel like I am the first day of school here and forgot to wear my pant's lol.
That being said I'd love to have something to say critique wise but looks like aother than tuffmutt and FeD we are all pretty much in the early satages. And waht can you say bout tuffmutt and FeD? (I like the non dof too Tuffmutt) You seem to be able to pull off exactly what I have probs with ....Splashes of light and dark with out goind black. It's funny how you can see something wrong but have probs fixing it. (And love the composition on your first post FeD).
Any way here is my second stage post.

Old 05 May 2008   #50
oooo and really like the patchy fog in your second shot there Phantom

Old 05 May 2008   #51
Originally Posted by fwad: oooo and really like the patchy fog in your second shot there Phantom

Hey Thanks, that was the early version and then I end it with the top image, so I submit both to get feedback and C&C , Thanks for your comment !
waiting to get more, Im always learning a LOT from ALL the people involved in this challenges
I like too the fog in the 2nd ,and btw I did it with a parti_volume - transmat shader , and a physical light pluged in a point light, ( first time I used )
and Im trying to create a murky, high contrast image to this challenge.

Great REnders everybody and thanks "masterzap" for share you knowlodege, very usefull !

later

Old 05 May 2008   #52
Originally Posted by kanooshka: Tuffmutt, I use MR as well and I was wondering if you could tell us how you do your glow and fog. Thanks!

Kanooshka...its very simple in Max.
just create an omni light go to MR renderpanel and in camera effects/ camera shaders assign beam in the volume shaders slot.you can then drag the beam shader to ur material editor to specify only certain lights.

then you can adjust the color and density for the overall beam effect.it doesnt consider any light fall offs or decay you might have used in it and
it works best with omnis. its not really "fog" in the true sense. but it works on some scenes.
if you want proper fog with realistic or manual fall off use mist shader along with beam by starting with the volume shaders list.
Hope that helps.
Uday Kadkade.

Old 05 May 2008   #53
FeD..Nice one..is there a body under the wraps?

Old 05 May 2008   #54
great works

Hi all It nice to participate this challenge All pictures is good
Later will post my one

Old 05 May 2008   #55
Talking

Originally Posted by Phantom-vfx: Hey
v2

Ill apreciate feedback !! thanks

Oh I really really like the smokey volumetric stuff in the trees!!

/Z

Old 05 May 2008   #56
[QUOTE=Phantom-vfx] I did it with a parti_volume - transmat shader , and a physical light pluged in a point light, ( first time I used )

Hmm looks like something new for me to spend a week or ten of my free time playing with.
thx

Old 05 May 2008   #57
Hey tuffmutt... Great render dude.. It looks like a Advertising Poster for a Movie.. I think you have already won this challenge.. now from next challenge you are not allowed to post any thread.. now you also start judging and commenting on others images.. your idea are superb as always.. you have a great future dude..

Fed : - Great image.. its look like a snapshot of a movie.. great compositing.. Good Luck

Old 05 May 2008   #58
Thumbs up A Little Feedback.

Wow, this challenge is off to a great start already.

fwad
- Nice job! That giant light looks like something from a more modern time to me, compared to the 1930's - 1940's era of the original models. If you could use the moon and a nice sky up there instead it might be better, and you could soften the throw from the light so it doesn't cut-off in a hard line behind the well.The station could use a little less even illumination on the front (maybe a big darker as you move away from the lights) but a bit more bounce light on the dark surfaces that are above the brighter parts of the ground.

Phantom-vfx
- Nice job! You fog in the tree looks great. See if you can make the noise look a little less CGish, maybe make it more layered horizontally, or make it spread out differently near the ground compared to how it looks up in the tree? I think you could add something to the right side of the image with the fog, even if it's just a rim-lit tree in the darkness, or the outline of another form.

Voigg - Keep going with that. Even compositions that look imbalanced based on those objects can still get filled in with nice skies, etc. and look good.

FeD - I like the subtle use of color in 03, it really keeps the vintage look. I think the gas station sign needs some texture and light. The black edges on the left side of the columns need a little bounce too: there's just too much fog with light shining into it to expect no bounce light there. If you're worried about over-lighting, the decay could be alittle tighter around the ceiling lights where they illuminate the ceiling. Make sure the light bulbs don't cast a shadow onto the ceiling blocking what's supposed to be their own light.

visua - Nice start. Some texture on the lit surfaces and a better sky would help a lot. Some of the motivation isn't entirely clear to me. The light on the side of the station probably comes from the fixture above, but that doesn't look turned on to me, maybe some fog or glow right below it, and a much broader throw of light from it would help. The light in the filling area is very bright, but the bulbs at the top don't seem to be lit-up or lighting the ceiling next to them at all, so I don't know where that's coming from either. I see some extra light coming from off-screen in the lower right, but I don't think that accounts for all of it. If that's supposed to be car headlights it could use a broader pattern and maybe a cookie.

godzik - Good start. maybe the side of the building could be a different tone from the front, so it isn't uniform. I guess the light's supposed to be coming from those two lampposts, but why does it seem brighter at the bottom of the post than the top? I'm a little confused about what you're trying to depict with that.

tuffmutt1 - Your work continues to amaze. I love the look of the aging camper with the highlights showing more texture where it gets bright. I think there could be room for improvement in the areas around the light bulbs. I don't really see the lightbulbs illuminating the geometry closest to them. Some light bulbs have circular glows around them, but the center rear one doesn't, and then the tall lamp looks almost as if it has the moon behind it or something. The brightest highlight on the ground is the one to the left of the gas pumps, but there's mostly dark geometry above it, so it doesn't seem connected with the light sources to me.

-jeremy

Old 05 May 2008   #59
[QUOTE jeremybirn]
fwad - Nice job! That giant light looks like something from a more modern time to me, compared to the 1930's - 1940's era of the original models. If you could use the moon and a nice sky up there instead it might be better, and you could soften the throw from the light so it doesn't cut-off in a hard line behind the well.The station could use a little less even illumination on the front (maybe a big darker as you move away from the lights) but a bit more bounce light on the dark surfaces that are above the brighter parts of the ground.

Thanks Jermybirn all thoughts that have been floating thru my head but it does bring up a question. I don't know if this is the right place to bring it up but is there a standard way to calibrate your monitor so that you know what you are seeing is middle ground to what others are?

At school I would post produce several versions till I got a feel for what was happening there but that dosent seem like a real life soloution.

Just thought I'd ask.
THX again.

Old 05 May 2008   #60
Crap. I had no idea the new challenge had started already! Already such great work submitted. I am late to the party apparently. How would it be possible to get auto-notified when new challenges get posted? Sorry if this question has an apparent answer. Maybe update the stickied Discussion: Ideas for Future Challenges thread when there is a new challenge? I am subscribed to that one but somehow completely missed "The Local Train Challenge".

reply share thread