Leonikou
PRO

portfolio
Leonidas Koufalis
Texture Shading Lighting Artist
Athens, Greece

Send a message via Yahoo to Leonikou
Hello Jeremy and everyone!

I'd love to try this one! It is a great opportunity to use creative lighting and set the mood!

Have a great start everybody.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #17
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley,

Thumbs up First Feedback and More File Formats....

Gluteus Maximus - Congrats on being the first entry! I like the small amount of rim light on the hills right under the moon. The big kick of light on the hills to the left seems too harsh to me to come from the moon, maybe something more subtle there could bring out the shape. I think you could do more with rim lighting on other forms in the scene. The wet ground can be an interesting area to show reflections and highlights, you might do this all with specularity on a bump mapped surface, but something that looked like a reflection of the moon, and something that looked like a reflection of the light on the side of the building, would help a lot!

Thanks to jojo1975 there's now a 3D Studio Max version on the download page!

Thanks to mesutcapkin there's now a Cinema 4D version on the download page!

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 05-18-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
tuffmutt1
avaialable for work

portfolio
uday kadkade
Mumbai, India

Hi everyone, fun challenge. here's my first take on it..may be a bit bright but its a start

Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
Weepul
-
USA

And we're off to a fast start it seems! Nice one tuffmutt1 - looks like you've nailed the mood to me. The scene itself could do with some refinement; I'm always fond of realism, and right now it's a bit CG-looking, particularly in terms of texturing. Then, there's bit more that could be done with the black-and-white treatment to give it that beautiful dark-yet-luminous and rich film look. Try playing with a curves adjustment in Photoshop (or your image editor or choice), particularly increasing contrast a bit in the areas with the best subtle lighting.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #20
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley,

Smile Uday is out of the gate and in the lead...

tuffmutt1 -

Wow! Great image! You're already kicking on this challenge! If you're ever applying for a job at Pixar and want a recommendation, let me know.

I don't think it's too bright over-all, but some specific parts could be darker. The under-side of the roof (with the wood texture) seems to be getting too much bounce light. Maybe the front triangle of the roof, facing out towards the darkness, could go even darker, and maybe part of the side of the station behind the camper could go darker as well. The front of the car, not the headlights but near the center, seems to be getting a lot of light. The ground around the under-side of the camper might go darker, but the pool of light coming out of it onto the ground could grow into a softer pool of light. You might fix-up the lighting we see through the windows of the camper as well, the back window looks like there's an unlit interior wall or something.

There are some patterns on the white ceiling of the station above the car (some dark circles near the far edge, black and white stripes along the near beam with lights coming out of it) that are a bit distracting, I don't know if they are a part of the lighting or the texture. The hubcaps of the little car don't have completely convincing reflections on them yet, they look a little like what you'd get using an environment map instead of raytracing.

Car headlights sometimes project a nice cookie pattern with little stripes running different directions, you might try to throw a little of that onto the ground in front of the car.

-jeremy

Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #21
bobbystahr
bobby stahr
winnipeg, Canada

LWO Film Noir Scene Conversion

Hi...I have done a lwo conversion of this scene.as a lwo not an lws as I don't have LW but a great converter named Accutrans...e mail me with info on how to get this to you if it's still needed.. ...
pax et lux
bobbystahr
bstar@mts.net

Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #22
guivAg
Veteran
portfolio
lucas deve
Texture, lighting, compositing artist.
Paris, France

there is a first try to place the mood... i work only on composition and lighting, no shader work..

"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

My DemoReel

My website

Last edited by guivAg : 05-19-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #23
visua
Slacker

portfolio
Niclas Binnquist
3D Artist
Stockholm, Sweden

Send a message via MSN to visua
Just a quick comp-test to get started:

Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #24
kanooshka
Lighting Enthusiast

portfolio
Dan Konieczka
Technical Director
Hartford,

Hey everyone I hope you're all excited for this new challenge, I know I am! I haven't been able to start yet since I just graduated yesterday Until I can start here's some feedback

visua:
Good start so far, from a comp standpoint I like the high angle. As for the lighting I like being able to see where are your lights are placed right now. You've gotten some fairly high contrast taking place but in my opinion I think the sky light is a bit overpowering. If you want a lot of the skylight to come through maybe you could darken the artificial lights in the gas station.

On the left on top of the well there seems to be a light artifact or something. Not sure if this was intentional or not.

Finally I think an adjustment could be made for the lights from the gas station I like the bright white but I think that they could use a lot more dropoff to give more of a hot spot in the center. Keep it up!

guivAg: I like the composition for this one I can almost see someone standing at the door with a gun. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the filter you've used ontop, I'm guessing you were trying to create rain. For the lighting maybe if you created a little of a rim or something on the right edge of the building so it could be popped forward from the background. As it is right now it's hard to discern the edge of the building from the background.

tuffmutt1: Once again, you're making us all look bad , props to you and your skills. I think above everything I love the reflection you've created on the ground. In general your shader work is fantastic. Just some minor things I see is on the ceiling there seems to be some strange throw patterns from the lights but, that could be intentional. I really can't find anything else that's less than amazing. Congrats once again.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #25
guivAg
Veteran
portfolio
lucas deve
Texture, lighting, compositing artist.
Paris, France

im agreed with u for the rain kanooshka !^^ that was a 1 min rain in toshop... so i made a little correction. (a the end i will made a volume fog to place the rain correctly...)

for the rim light thanks,i wana moove my light to keep this area in the light..

any other recomendation before i start the shader work ?

"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

My DemoReel

My website

Last edited by guivAg : 05-19-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #26
FeD
PRO

portfolio
Yannick Rogeat
Freelance
Voiron, France

hi all,

very nices works, specialy tuffmutt1's one, i like your reflections on the floor, what shader did you use ?

here my test :

better rez "here"

and ... good night

Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 AM   #27
Spin99
Reiver's Club

portfolio
J.C. Coelho
Looking..
Portugal

I setup the camera composition sky and moon lights.
Just a start don't know if I'll have much time but couldn't resist.
FeD love the car visua love the angle tuffmutt1 looks finished.

Hope you don't mind me posting wips here, just trying to learn.

*UPDATE* Updated the composition and no desaturation this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fn_wip.jpg (73.9 KB, 17 views)

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited by Spin99 : 05-21-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #28
Buhby
Frequenter
portfolio
Kyle Raffile
3D Generalist/Lighting Artist
Boston, USA

Send a message via AIM to Buhby
FeD: your render is amazing and I have hardly anything to say about it, it's beautiful and it definitely captures the idea of "Film Noir". The only criticism I can give is that the figure in the building doesn't seem quite right. It appears that the arm of the figure (I assume it's the arm folding into a pocket) is a tad skinny. Perhaps make it appear as if the trench coat is baggier on the arm by adding subtle folds in the cloth or something to that effect. Other than that, it's the best I've seen yet. Keep up the good work!

guivAg: I like the effect that you're going with and the angle of the composition but I am not feeling that the rain is part of the scene. It seems as if it was just an after thought (something done in photoshop). Don't get me wrong, I like the rain but try and integrate it better with the scene. Add splashes where the rain touches the roof or ground and add puddles all over the place. You could even model a gutter and have a stream of water coming out of it or even have a stream just coming off the roof. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

Hopefully, I can get a render out relatively soon since I'm also working on another project

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Buhby : 05-20-2008 at 03:18 AM.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #29
GKDantas
Veteran

portfolio
Marcelo Teixeira
Designer
euQfiz design
Botucatu, Brazil

Send a message via ICQ to GKDantas Send a message via MSN to GKDantas Send a message via Yahoo to GKDantas
My first try here and I used the Non photo realistic render in Carrara to see the effect. I will do more tests before post the last render.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noir01.jpg (90.1 KB, 252 views)

Old 05-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #30
tuffmutt1
avaialable for work

portfolio
uday kadkade
Mumbai, India

thanks Jeremy ....I cant thank you enough for your encouragement.here;s some improvement on the same scene...
this is a direct render out of max. I ve ben using low saturated maps and shaders to keep em grey overall with blue moonlights and almost white but a bit yellow lights for the bulbs and what not.all mental ray A&D shaders, lanczos for AA to keep it sharp.

Heres a processed in photoshop version of the same above. with some volumetric lights added and DOF using Z buffer and Lens blur.

and here's the fully processed with desaturation and a blueish tiny and some grain added.

reply share thread