Lighting Challenge #14: The Local Train

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2008   #61
tuffmutt1 -

A little more about your night scene: it looks great. It's funny that you call it "a bit stylized" and I would call it very realistic -- maybe I've just been working on stylized movies for too long. Anyway, it looks terrific in terms of colors, tones, and optical effects. I think the left and right edges of the image could be changed to better frame it. Maybe on the left, that blue highlight on the water tower looks a little bright and fake. You could replace it with a rectangular reflection that is dimmer and runs up and down the whole tank. On the right, that row of signs looks too bright to me, and it's not clear where the light exists in 3D space compared to the power lines and fence, it looks somehow as if it should be closer based on the perspective. You could get rid of that whole lamp, or else make it into a darker form against the sky.

-jeremy

Old 02 February 2008   #62
Hello Jeremy and everyone!

Time for an update.

I have nearly figured out how and where the scene will be. Unfortunatelly I have never travelled with long distance trains in Greece and I dont have any train stations nearby, so what I will try to do is based on two photos of Greek stations I found on the net.

I uploaded some Renders of the Basic Train Part which I textured today. It is not completely finished ( needs more work on the Windows and a few minor details) but most of it its there.

I wanted to play with rust coz I just love it. I now I may have overdone it but it is part of my scenario and composition.

Uv layouts in Maya - Main Textures and signs in Photoshop and Procedural Rusts and Final Shading in Maya again.

Rendered with Mental Ray, with just a basic HDRi setup.

Unfortunatelly I used very high resolution texture files and cannot render it anymore (only batch) so I will have to lower the quality a bit.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited by Leonikou : 02 February 2008 at 11:17 PM.

Old 02 February 2008   #63
one more shots

Hi everyone.I made one more photos using Maya MR and Sunsky.This shots much better than first my photo.

Directional Light

Volume Light

Old 02 February 2008   #64
hi Jeremy. thanks for the detailed critic. i ve given it another go with some passes this time.

the diffuse pass didnt work well because og the opacity maps in the vegetation.
this is a irritatating problem for me. may be some one has a solution for it...might be helpful.
heres a sample of the prob. i am using mental ray.

here's are the passes.... i didnt use the diffuse pass for the comp.

specular pass

Old 02 February 2008   #65
reflection pass

dirct light pass

sky fill pass

Old 02 February 2008   #66
occlusion pass

comp with added smoke, glow and a seperate grass layer using hair.color tweaked in photoshop.

By uday_kadkade

Old 02 February 2008   #67
Hey tuffmutt1...

Great Job ya.. I like the way you have filled up the scene.. Its good to see these kind of works from India.. You are really good... Well done.. All the best...

Nitesh

Old 02 February 2008   #68
thank you very much nitz3D.
i hope you can participate in this challenge too...

Old 02 February 2008   #69
GooD job Leonikou and tuffmutt1

Last edited by ShamKiR : 02 February 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Old 02 February 2008   #70
Originally Posted by tuffmutt1: thank you very much nitz3D.
i hope you can participate in this challenge too...

Hi tufmutt

I am trying to, but the whole month is so hectic and jam packed that i havnt opened the file till today.. I too hope so that i get some time to work on it.. Let see..

Nitesh

Old 02 February 2008   #71
hi all,

here is my try. I want an early morning maybe i thought about snow and very hazy sunlight. But that volumetric stuff isnt right implemented in vrayforc4d. So later i will spend some time with ar2 and postwork to make such an effekt... My very next steps are beginning in Texturing the train and the hole scene. Before that i have to clean up the scene for cinema4d. I will spend some time on getting some nice wood in the picture, so creating some uvw would eat some time . I will make that train yellow, this red was just a test and im really unhappy with it! So the weekend can come. greetings from cologne germany

Old 02 February 2008   #72
here is an update:

Old 02 February 2008   #73
Nice rendertime SHordy, looks like you could up the lighting complexity a lot, without too much of an impact. Maybe add some ambient complexity, think it allready looks pretty promising.
modelling practice #1

Old 02 February 2008   #74
hi everyone,

this is my first try to my very first challenge . I'm not quite sure about the background yet, I tried to recreate one of the bridges running all over my hometown (Berlin, Germany) on which the main railroads and urban rails are placed. Because of the whole electrical wiring and stuff i had to make quite some changes to the environment. CC always welcome!

Old 02 February 2008   #75
tuffmut:
Nice job on your renders! It's awesome that you can get stuff like that out so quickly! My only crit would be that, for some reason, your render comes out looking like it's fake. Fake in the sense that, when I look at it, your train and the objects around it, look like something out of a toy train set.
What I'm beginning to think is that it has to do with the textures that you have on your objects. I think you need to work on some specular, translusency, and reflection maps. Really study the material you are using and how it acts realistically. It'll really help if you add that aspect into your render.

Hope I was somewhat helpful.

reply share thread