tuffmutt1
avaialable for work

portfolio
uday kadkade
Mumbai, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samo
hola

Good look with your entries. I only would like to point out that all around the world, if the trainset is moving, locomotives must have got their head lamps always on, no matter it is day o night.

This is a good site to look for references:
http://www.railpictures.net/

Alvaro.

Hi, Samo
thanks for the website. I live in India and if you look at the engines from my part of the world, they all have the lights off in day time. could be that its a european law or something?.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #47
Samo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alvaro Luna Bautista
Roses, Spain

Quote:
Hi, Samo
thanks for the website. I live in India and if you look at the engines from my part of the world, they all have the lights off in day time. could be that its a european law or something?.

Maybe some few countries don't follow this rule, but most of them do, at least in the American continent and Europe. I've checked that site and, in some Asian countries, locomotives don't have their head lamps on in day time.

And by head lamps I mean only the two big frontal lights.

Last edited by Samo : 02-12-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #48
ShamKiR
Veteran

portfolio
Hafiz Ismail
Baku, Azerbaijan

Send a message via MSN to ShamKiR
First screenshot

Hi there.I made a render .But I need much to learn dont judge so hard
I`ll make some other pictures when I`ll have a time.Thx for all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg train.jpg (41.4 KB, 230 views)

Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #49
lighthunder
Veteran

portfolio
vikram b
3d artist
BMS creative media
Bangalore, India

Send a message via Yahoo to lighthunder
Smile hi everybody

here is my first render test i rendered in maya 8 mentalray all C&C are welcome thank u

Old 02-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #50
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

lighthunder - Good start! For the area that's in shadow (outside of direct sun) it would be good to get some variety in the shading and hopefully some occlusion. A nice mix of shadow and sun helps the composition. See if you can use a more interesting background than pure sky, so we really see where we are from what's built at the the horizon line. As you add to the texturing making some things look a little more dusty and less clean and new would be a good goal.

ShamKiR - Welcome! Good start. Usually if you are lighting a scene with just one main light, I'd try to put the light a little more off to one side or the other, so it doesn't light things straight-on. Coming from a bit more of an angle helps define the shape of things better and makes less symmetrical shadows.

tuffmutt1 - Better and better! I love the way you're going with the dust and dirt on top of the train, and it's starting to get more of a sense of place. You have a lot of depth in the shot, and it seems that what's more distant in the buildings are bright and not very saturated. Maybe the electical pole behind the train could be a little more towards light gray -- the pole itself is already like that, but the top cross-peice looks like a deep reddish color and doesn't appear as distant and washed-out as it could, to establish that it is half way from our foreground into the background. For that little shack, the texturing doesn't seem to respond to the little window, maybe delete the window from the geometry and have a plain wall? The lighting on the shack looks too uniform, I think the left side should be brighter than the side facing camera. I like the foreground vegetation, too. A tiny bit of that could be put in the more distant parts in the lower left and maybe a little vegetation of some kind could be visible accross the tracks near the right wall? The construction materials stacked in a regular grid in the foreground could use a little variation or maybe could be fitted together more closely?

mJunaidb - Welcome! Good start! Maybe with texturing and a different background image it will look more like Pakistan. You basic light direction and camera angle looks good. Maybe the composition could be improved if you widened the aspect ratio so the front of the train was visible instead of cropping it so close to the front.

-jeremy

Old 02-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #51
Samo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alvaro Luna Bautista
Roses, Spain

Hi,

This is my version of this scene. I'm working with the default view.
I'm still figuring out what solution to use to add bushes to the scene without compromising more the file size.

Modelled with Blender.
Rendered with YafaRay. Just a Sun light, a gradient background, pathtracing.
Render took about 45 min. in a 2.4 Pentium - 512 RAM
Textures made with Inkscape and The Gimp.

Last edited by Samo : 02-13-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:48 AM   #52
kanooshka
Lighting Enthusiast

portfolio
Dan Konieczka
Technical Director
Hartford,

Samo: I don't know if you've heard of or seen the video game Team Fortress 2 by Valve. Your image has a very similar feel to it. Great start I'd like to see some variation in the texturing and reflectivity and some sort of vegetation like you were saying. If you really need to keep the poly count down you could always use a series of transparent images on planes. Keep it up!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #53
lighthunder
Veteran

portfolio
vikram b
3d artist
BMS creative media
Bangalore, India

Send a message via Yahoo to lighthunder
Smile hi

thank u for u r valuable suggesions jeremy i will work on it

Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #54
ShamKiR
Veteran

portfolio
Hafiz Ismail
Baku, Azerbaijan

Send a message via MSN to ShamKiR
jeremybirn

Thx a lot.
I`m working on it.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #55
dboydesign
Veteran

portfolio
Daniel RÝsnes
3D Artist/VFX
Storyline Studios AS
LillestrÝm, Norway

Alright this sound like alot of fun
Well I have some questions.

Is it allowed to add more objects, like houses, grass, rocks etc.?
Can I move objects?

thank you for the time..

p.s: sorry I ask questions that are all ready been answered.. But I coudnt find any rules..

Old 02-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #56
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

dboydesign - Do what you need to.

Samo - Sooner or later you'll probably need to render in layers and composite. Maybe you could start with a background picture to set the scene in Spain. The easiest of all compositing approaches is to split the scene into foreground, mid-ground, and background, so one layer just goes over the previous layer. That way you don't need to render all the trees and shrubs in the same layer as the train and gravel. Things are simplest if the objects that need to shadow and reflect eachother are in the same layer, although I'm sure your software can be used to render things as separate passes if you need to. Another direction to head would be to work more on texture mapping, making the train and tracks look less clean and perfect, more like a train in Spain, and really nail that side of things before you add more models to the scene.

-jeremy

Old 02-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #57
tuffmutt1
avaialable for work

portfolio
uday kadkade
Mumbai, India

Hi, all I am really loving this scene . ...ok i made some major changes from my last post, as i wasnt sure i could go any more further to really elaborate the "india" in the scene.
so here's the latest.....this is a straight render out of max. I replaced the old shack with my new hut. rock population was solved using Pflow ....

then i added some glare , glow, smoke and tiny lens flares on top..and tweaked it to a more hot and dusty color scheme.

By uday_kadkade

and heres a hard exposure look with less saturation.

By uday_kadkade

and here's having fun with it...

By uday_kadkade
Thanks.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #58
tuffmutt1
avaialable for work

portfolio
uday kadkade
Mumbai, India

and here's a revised night version ..a bit stylised.

By uday_kadkade

Old 02-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #59
Leonikou
PRO

portfolio
Leonidas Koufalis
Texture Shading Lighting Artist
Athens, Greece

Send a message via Yahoo to Leonikou
Wow tuffmutt1 - ! Great updates!

I have never been to india, but I definately get the feel of it!
All the renders are great but the night render is fantastic!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #60
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

tuffmutt1 -

Those are great! Focusing on the initial set-up of the daytime ones: I think the lighting could match better between the foreground (CG) and the background (image). The foreground has lots of dark tones and black blacks, the background never gets nearly that dark. If the background were a little lighter, it could be haze or atmospheric perspective, but this is a bigger difference than that. The background is lit very brightly, the foreground (apart from the roof of the hut) doesn't have such broad, soft, bright illumination. The background seems to be lit from the front, left side, you can see some buildings and trees are brighter on the left. The foreground needs to match the sun direction of the background.

If you split the foreground rendering into passes, it's sometimes easier to nail all the values. Render one pass of sky-fill, just soft cool light on everything, hopefully with some occlusion. Render a separate occlusion pass if there isn't occlusion in the sky fill layer, and multiply them in the comp. Then render a sun light pass. This might be 2 passes if you separate the specular from the diffuse sun illumination. Then render reflections if there are sky/environment reflections. Then you can add these passes together and adjust their brightness and color until they really match all the tones from the background.

The perspective match is pretty good. It looks as if the train is heading up a hill. That impression is alright if it's intended, but then you need to think about making the posts and signals go straight up, instead of looking like they are perpendicular to the surface of a slanted ground surface.

All those other experiments based on it are nice, and your night scene really looks terrific. I think you could do another take on the basic daytime match-lighting though to really get it 100% perfect.

-jeremy

reply share thread