Lighting Challenge #14: The Local Train

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2008
The "Local Train" file for Maya opens only in Maya 2008. I tried it on both of my computer in Maya 8.5 but it didn't open.

Regards, Martin Romero

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by MartinRomero: The "Local Train" file for Maya opens only in Maya 2008. I tried it on both of my computer in Maya 8.5 but it didn't open.

Regards, Martin Romero

it's a .ma file, you can open it in note pad and edit the version of the file in the first few lines.... it's not a small file so it might take some time to open in note pad.

-Mina

02 February 2008
Hey guys, I have a max 8 file I made, I used to have the same problem when opening more recent max files.

>>localtrain MAX 8 file<<

please let me know if you have any problems downloading the file...

cheerio

let's have some fun.
modelling practice #1

02 February 2008
wowow...I imported the fbx, it's all there..but it's a bit heavy for my home machine...strange.
First time I run in this problem...
Is there something particular to do when importing fbx files?

Hal.

PS: jmBoekestein your file is 1/4 of mine....I really missed something...thx

Last edited by Halford : 02 February 2008 at 10:30 AM.

02 February 2008
Thumbs up great challenge

let's start the train

02 February 2008
Thanks Jeremy for this new challenge,
I'll wait a little for a C4D format,
if not, I'll try with the obj. Thanks !

02 February 2008
Thumbs up

Hurraaayyyyy Lets starttttttt.................................

02 February 2008
A tip for people using mental ray, the gravel is quite 'slow' in terms of overall render speed (exporting and BSP at least) because it's hundreds of individual items. If you do a Mesh > Combine on them all and then delete the history, you should get a 55% speedup on them as I did. In the end I'll probably go for displacement instead though.

Maya, 3Delight, mentalray, Maxwell Render, ZBrush
Photoshop, Fusion, Vegas Pro, Syntheyes

02 February 2008
Wow, this seems to be a specially challenging one, mainly in texturing terms. I'll take a close look on this and try to do something interesting.

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by Jozvex: A tip for people using mental ray, the gravel is quite 'slow' in terms of overall render speed (exporting and BSP at least) because it's hundreds of individual items. If you do a Mesh > Combine on them all and then delete the history, you should get a 55% speedup on them as I did. In the end I'll probably go for displacement instead though.

I replaced the stones with a particle flow system. It's quite a bit faster in Max, and gives you more camera freedom as well as a nice fast viewport preview...

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by Jozvex: A tip for people using mental ray, the gravel is quite 'slow' in terms of overall render speed (exporting and BSP at least) because it's hundreds of individual items. If you do a Mesh > Combine on them all and then delete the history, you should get a 55% speedup on them as I did. In the end I'll probably go for displacement instead though.

Thanks for the tip.
This has definatly improved my rendering time.

02 February 2008
!! Wow !!

Hey Jeremy...

Great Challenge.. Will love to work on it.. it seems to be a good fun.. and the idea is also superb..

I wants to work on 3Ds MAX.. could you please provid me with .max file..

Thanks,
Nitesh

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by nitz3D: Hey Jeremy...

Great Challenge.. Will love to work on it.. it seems to be a good fun.. and the idea is also superb..

I wants to work on 3Ds MAX.. could you please provid me with .max file..

Thanks,
Nitesh

Hi,

there is already a version provided by jmBoekestein, you can get it here:
http://www.eidolos.net/archives/localtrain_MAX.rar

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by Halford: Hi,

there is already a version provided by jmBoekestein, you can get it here:
http://www.eidolos.net/archives/localtrain_MAX.rar

Thanks Halford for the reply..

02 February 2008

That's a good tip. Merging the gravel into one object could be more efficient.

If you're going to delete the stones, I'd keep at least a few of them around. Even with displacement mapping on the ground, the ground is more believable if you can set-dress a few real rocks and debris and plants around as well. When I've had ground surfaces with a liberal amount of real rocks scattered around on the model, I've had people stop and say "wow, that's a nice ground shader" as if they are seeing the rocks as non-scalar displacement or something.

If download the .obj format, I have the scene split into a series of .obj files this time, with the stones in a separate file. So for people with limited RAM, importing the stones is optional.

-jeremy

Thread Closed share thread