Lighting Challenge #13: Christmas

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2007   #16
@L33tace: What is the program you are using?

Old 12 December 2007   #17
Jeremy, I've got a blender version of the file if you want.

Old 12 December 2007   #18
Originally Posted by ACamacho: @L33tace: What is the program you are using?

I've tried Daz|Studio, Carrara 6 and Byrce. D|S actually imports it the best but even to do a test render is slow and by the time I add materials and lights ... I'll just have to develop more patience
Is it just me or is an obj file of nearly 194,000kb a bit on the big size?

Old 12 December 2007   #19
Hi guys! We have great challange here!
Here's what I have so far, I used maya and mray. I was played with warm and cold colors to achive nice colorful atmospere. The rendering time is about 5 min.
Please tell me what should I improve or change! Thanks!

Old 12 December 2007   #20
already?! im still at challenge 12.. lol

i see this challenge is off to a good start, eh?!
great images guys..

visit my
Lighting & Rendering Blog

Old 12 December 2007   #21
quickTest

i rendered it in about the time it took me to walk and get a coffee

Maya,Mr,Fr

Old 12 December 2007   #22
the obj is huge (138 mb or some unzipped) so if any one need I got the 3ds file. I can upload via Ftp if jeremy wants.. waiting for details
jojo. Today I will upload first try

Old 12 December 2007   #23
Yes it's chrismtas time........!

first off, jeremy thanks for the cool scene. I see everyone has some great images.

for mine to help speed up the rendering I just hid the tree geo and used a poly stand in for blocking. I still have to comp in the windows but just want to get a sense of what to do next.

pbalisic- great image I like the textures and how you put a lamp light on the dresser feels "homey"

Last edited by jberan32 : 12 December 2007 at 02:57 PM.

Old 12 December 2007   #24
Christmas Challenge - Vue 6 Infinite

Here's my attempt in Vue. Ambient Occulusion lighting for the overall scene with 2 additional point lights - one to light the fire and one from the top front to help light the tree. The bulb and ormanment colors were done procedurally using a world mapped fractal to generate the different colors. The flames are an Alpha Plane. Took about an hour to render on my antique Pentium 4. I'm hoping one of the presents under the tree contains a faster computer for me.

Last edited by dburdick : 12 December 2007 at 03:25 PM.

Old 12 December 2007   #25
Originally Posted by Nosferatu8650: i rendered it in about the time it took me to walk and get a coffee

Maya,Mr,Fr

The splotchiness on the fireplace mantel is caused by photons which aren't blurred enough. I would try turning up the final gather samples.
How far is the coffeeshop? That looks like it took more than a few minutes to render . . .

Great job pbalsic and seedra4. Your work really sets a mood. What kind of machines are you guys rendering on that your renders only take a few minutes?
I have a dual P4 xeon 2.8gig with 2gigs of ram and my renders are taking anywhere from 8 to 36 min!! This scene seems really heavy for how old my computer is. Does anyone have any advice on scene/render optimizations?

pbalsic: The only big issue that stands out to me is the shadows on the floor need their sampling turned up. The edges of the shadows are too grainy.

Last edited by greyother : 12 December 2007 at 04:14 PM.

Old 12 December 2007   #26
Smile Happy To See It Working !

seedra4 - Great job! The physically solid impression is there. Maybe you can make the pine needs a little more translucent, so the tree will go brighter with all the light from the window coming through it? The texturing that you've done already looks good, especially the feeling of the floor.

Lazzhar - Wahoo! That's great! It looks like the tree needles themselves are glowing, not just the lights, but it's a fascinating effect. The bulb as a stand-in for the fire works well enough for an early test. Tree to get different colors for the fire light compared to the tree lights, maybe the fire is warmer?

L33tace - When I get time it would be interesting to see if I could make a set of smaller .obj files as an alternate format... For scenes with over a million polygons, a large .obj size is normal, since .obj is a text format that spells out line by line the X Y Z locations of each vertex.

Cosmonaut - Thanks! See my PM.

pbalsic - Wahoo! That's great! Love the colors! See if you can get more light from the lights on the tree, and do more with the topper!

Nosferatu8650 - Great start! Really solid looking! The hard-edged shadows from the fire light are distracting, that should be much softer and needs some more decay. Try putting in a little more bounce or fill light on the dark sides of the walls, and maybe a little less bounce or fill on the chimney above the mantle.

Jojo1975 - Thanks! See my PM.

jberan32 - Good start! Too much of the scene looks blurry to me, although keeping a natural DOF could be good. The lighting on the right side above the dresser has a strange curved shape, I don't know where that's coming from.

Dburdick - Great! The occlusion helps give it a nice solid feel, and the textures are working. See if you can get some color into your lights, based on the fire color, light colors, etc. Also work on shadows, the gifts especially look so brightly lit that I expect to see more self-shadowing. It would be nice to see the lights reflected in the windows. When the rest of the scene is that bright, try doing something nice to the tree topper too.

-jeremy

Old 12 December 2007   #27
Wow amazing work already everyone!

I'm very excited to start this, Good luck all!

Old 12 December 2007   #28
Great stuff, everyone. I particularly like the colours in yours, pbalsic, also the painterly look in yours, jberan32.
My first thought on this was to look at the reflection of the scene in one of the glass baubles (not easy to set up, because you can't see the reflections in the openGL display). I think that the image below is about as far as I want to take this approach, and might go for a more conventional viewpoint. Still, for what it's worth...( done using XSI 6.02, with the Mental Images Architectural material for everything, and Depth of Field from a depth pass driving an IDefocus node in Shake. I also added some grain, which I think often helps to make an image less CGI-like .)

Old 12 December 2007   #29
Hey everyone =)

pbalsic: great looking image so far I love the light coming in through the window. I'm curious where the blue light hitting the ceiling would be coming from. Is that a reflection off the ground? And also maybe for the fireplace you could increase the brightness of the light it's giving off.

Nosferatu8650: Good start. Looking forward to seeing the next renders.

jberan32: Great mood set by the image it's very warm and soothing. Though I'd suggest a little less blur.

dburdick: Good work so far. It looks like your point lights could cast some more shadows and possibly be angled more to show form. It's hard to tell so far. Good textures so far!

andystopps: Awesome idea! But I'd have to agree that it'd be difficult to pull off. Maybe if the ornaments were completely mirrors or had a very suddle tint to them it would make it a little simpler to pull off.

As for me I think I'm finished setting up my composition here's a flatshaded image of what I have so far. I changed the setup of the room quite a bit. I wanted the diagonal of the presents to lead into the fireplace. Also for lighting I wanted a mix from the window, tree lights and fireplace lighting the scene to create a very warm homey feel. I hope I'll be able to pull it off!

Old 12 December 2007   #30
here's my first render for this scene.

straight lightwave render, no post. except to re-size still need to tackle some texturing before things get more involved.

scene set-up: area light coming from the big door. 2 point lights for some simulated bounce. an exterior distant light for the moon coming in through the window. a point light for the "fire". and final gather g.i. to fill things in and set the late night mood.

i can see there needs to be more of a rim on the tree from the moon. what else? thx!

Blog

reply share thread