Lighting Challenge #12: Halloween

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
im trying to light up the hole scene from inside the pumpkin for some dramatical shining atmosphere. The time is evening and from the right there is shining a blue cold lantern. The Shader and Textures are really not final. C4D + Vray.

10 October 2007
i renew the scene:

10 October 2007
Damned pumpkins are giving me a headache haha.. heres where im at now.. i have to brighten up the lower pumpkin a bit, and maybe make them a bit more orange..

yes you are recognizing the 3d total textures haha

10 October 2007
Sweet concept Jeremy, I'm in!
Here's a quick draft:

10 October 2007
another test, some play with Zdepht in photoshop :
I wanted to make light-fog, but render time get crazy, so no light-fog snif
Is there any other(faster) way than mr volume shader to do that ?

Quote: Very nice work......I would love to see a glow coming out of there with some low lying fog

I tried..

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by FeD: another test, some play with Zdepht in photoshop :
I wanted to make light-fog, but render time get crazy, so no light-fog snif
Is there any other(faster) way than mr volume shader to do that ?

I tried..

I would just do it in post That is a great image, I like it.
HCM #18 - Turbocharger

10 October 2007
update_01

basic texturing and shading

10 October 2007
MasterZap - Yes, I tried the game.

RezaTJazayeri - Looking good. I think there's some dark areas in the upper corners of the pumpkin mouth and eyes, that stops it from looking as translucent as it could be. When you're this close to the bricks, you should do some polygon smoothing (subdivision) to make them less faceted looking. I think that shader just gives you the two important controls, but there's another one with Maya 2008 that also offers Bokeh effects, those would matter if there were a highlight or bright spot in the parts of the background that fall out of focus.

MicahtheMartian - Good start. Spider webs are always nice. It think the texture on the door could be smaller in places, and maybe could rotate or change on different parts of the door like the center vertical beam. It would be nice if more of the light came from a side or above, instead of so much uniformly frontal lighting.

FeD - Great start! I love the ivy, and having the door open a crack is a welcomed change that opens up interesting possiblities. I agree the pumpkin shader/sss needs work, it doesn't look like a glow coming from the inside yet.

lo - Nice scene! You've got a solid physical presence to the objects and a good degree of realism. I think the inside of the pumpkin could be more uniformly bright, filling in all the dark contrasty parts of the interior.

doodlerboy - Black and white images look most like shadows, projecting color images looks more like a color slide projector. With a Maya spot light, images mapped to the color are automatically sized to exactly fit the cone angle. Use a negative penumbra if you want softer edges, not a positive penumbra that would extend beyond the cone angle the map is sized to.

-jeremy

10 October 2007
Shordy - Keep going with those tests.

simonjaap - Looking good. Maybe the pumpkins need a bit more light from the outside, a top-light like you have on the brick wall could be good. With that framing, you'll need to do something for the ground as well.

visua - Great! I think your shadows blocked out there are awsome, can't wait to see a more complete scene.

FeD - Regarding your newer more close-up image - that's pretty good too, although you should choose a color for the house that's darker than the sky probably for some contrast. Maybe if the pumpkin had half as much translucency and more diffuse shading, occlusion, and specular, it would read better.

Fex - Looking good so far!

-jeremy

10 October 2007
Halloween Challenge Post

Here is my post. Please post any critiques

Here is new post Thanks for the advice Jeremy

Last edited by kwame_h1914 : 10 October 2007 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Update to my pervious post

10 October 2007
Hello Jeremy and fellow lighting people .. this is my first official try im using the 3ds file import to Maya i got some triangulated geometry (usually happens when i import 3ds files into maya i did try obj file but the occ didn work.. im using rfm1 by the way and maya7) as u can see in the metal surfaces upclose to teh camera..

Jeremy ur models are great very clean and detail thank u for taking the time for modeling this for us .. as far as lighting goes im still not please i wann get some motivation on those lights im using 2 area lights and 1 spotligt on the pumpkin and i m goin for a night look ok .. i keep on going i wanna clean geo before doing some UV work so i can do some texturing .. Bye

10 October 2007
Thanks for the tips Jeremy. Not sure how soon I'll get around to a new shot layout, but I did play with the shot I have had so far.

the comp is as it is, the only thing that worries me is rendering out a bunch of render passes from a new camera.... haha oh well.. I'll get to it sometime..

10 October 2007
Leotril - When you import .obj into Maya, models don't usually come in with render stats "visible in reflections" and "casts shadows" turned on (the original Wavefront .obj format planned on separate reflection objects...) but if you go into the "Attribute Spreadsheet" window and turn those render flags back on for all the models, you can render occlusion, reflections, whatever you want, and the number "13" will come in on the door from OBJ. The 3DS file is missing the door number because when I imported the OBJ into Max is looked messed up, and I figured most people could create their own text primitives if that lack was a big problem. Keep working on surfaces and translucency.

kwame_h1914 - Good start. You'll probably need some other light besides the pumpkin, and probably need some translucency for the pumpkin.

psycosven - Looking good!

-jeremy

10 October 2007
Jack-o-Lantern Exposure Tests

I have photographed some pumpkins for exposure reference. I carved the crude looking one on the left. Someone who some of you saw at SIGGRAPH with me carved the one on the right, which is Totoro of course, complete with his leaf-shaped hat.

I bracketed my way through 2 sets, one with Fill light, the other in darkness with no fill light. You can see that the pumpkins only look really translucent at certain exposure levels, and that the translucency doesn't get bright enough to compete with even a somewhat dim fill light. Here's the pictures to browse yourself:

http://www.3drender.com/challenges/...exposure_tests/

-jeremy

10 October 2007
@Jeremy.. Thanksfor the suggestions i didn know that .. i import back the OBJ file for my next render , the references images looks great !!!

Last edited by Leotril : 10 October 2007 at 01:37 AM.

Thread Closed share thread