swaroopindia2
portfolio
santiswaroop santiswaroop
Senior Graphic designer
Hyderabad, India

hi everybody

here is my post for this challenge, comments are welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29.jpg (74.0 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by swaroopindia2 : 10-08-2007 at 04:22 AM.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #32
psycosven
litebrite pro!

portfolio
Douglas Koski
Artist
Keene, USA

Send a message via AIM to psycosven Send a message via MSN to psycosven Send a message via Yahoo to psycosven
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjaap
Alright, it might just me being the noob i am, but i was playing around with the translucency and the upper half of the pumpkin just is very different than the bottom half, as you can see in the pic, it has the same material and everything.. im wondering how i can get rid of that?

looks like you are using MAX, it did the same to me... You could add the Normals modifier and check the Unify Normals box. Might have to use flip normals if the whole thing goes transparent. Or you could do the same if you are using Editable Mesh (which it imports as) while in the element selection mode. Just look under the Surface properties tab. Or you could get away with using a 2 sided texture on the pumpkin...... Those are my best guesses....

Last edited by psycosven : 10-05-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #33
swaroopindia2
portfolio
santiswaroop santiswaroop
Senior Graphic designer
Hyderabad, India

hi jeremy and everybody

when posting image in attachments, i am unable to get full size image, it is showing thumbnail view, please let me know how to get the same

Last edited by swaroopindia2 : 10-05-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #34
ACamacho
Conqueror of Tater Tots

portfolio
Angel Camacho
Lighting TD
Blue Sky Studios
Bethel, USA

Send a message via AIM to ACamacho Send a message via Yahoo to ACamacho
Now with downtime I can try the challenges again. Here is my first-pass:

No textures yet...it's the default colors that came with the file. Rendered in Mental Ray and Maya. Slight contrast tweak in Shake. I hope to finish this one in time.

*edit: forgot to say it's traditional lights. But may try a GI version.

Last edited by ACamacho : 10-05-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #35
leiluparker
portfolio
Lei Lu
3D Artist
verasci.com
USA

Indeed I had 2 moon lights casting shadow. I got rid of one and put in 4 sky lights. Also re-painted my light map. So thanks again Jeremy. I want to have a credible light source to light up the number 13, but don't want it to distract from the pumpkin, especially at this camera angle, from where you can easily see the glaring light bulb.

RezaTJazayeri, you're very welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halloween09.jpg (95.0 KB, 223 views)

Old 10-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #36
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

Jacobborsting - Good start! It's a little hard to interpret what's supposed to be in the foreground there. maybe the bottom of the pumpkin would have a little more glow to it?

MasterZap - Wonderful image. I like the texture on the metal, the look of the grass really nails the "night exposure" feeling. The translucency of the jack-o-lantern looks more like the translucency of a paper lantern more than a thick-walled pumkin though. This weekend I'll carve a pumkin and post some reference pictures at different exposures.

psycosven - Looking good. Maybe you could soften the shadows of the railings on the walls. I think your composition looks very empty on the sides, but cropped on the top and bottom. Maybe switching to a taller aspect ratio would frame the scene better?

simonjaap - It's a nice scene. Once you solve the translucency problem & light the candle it'll get a lot more believable. It seems like too much light is leaking out through the pumpkins onto the bricks below.

swaroopindia2 - Nice scene! The translucency on the pumkin is a welcomed thing, but right now it seems to be turned up too bright. You might need some shadowing or occlusion on your fill light, because some areas like the door handle are lacking definition. There's a link in my first post to a thread about posting methods.

ACamacho - Really solid start! The cookie or shadow on the back wall looks really strange, the way it is sharply focused on the wall but blurred on the door. Nothing in real life would be like that, is it a contrast setting on a shader that causes that unusual effect, or what? Once you get the pumkin looking translucent and light up the candle more it'll look more believable, probably it wouldn't cause that much light to leak out of the back of the pumkin.

leiluparker - Nice scene! I like the bat signal projected from the back of the pumkin. If you're adding a lamp near the top of the frame then I think more of the surfaces right around the lamp should be lit up. The plants look like they are hitting too bright a green compared to the lighting on the rest of the surfaces.

-jeremy

Old 10-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #37
MasterZap
Strange but nice person

portfolio
Zap Andersson
Shader Wizard
Autodesk Inc.
Eskilstuna, Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to MasterZap
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybirn
MasterZap - Wonderful image. I like the texture on the metal, the look of the grass really nails the "night exposure" feeling. The translucency of the jack-o-lantern looks more like the translucency of a paper lantern more than a thick-walled pumkin though. This weekend I'll carve a pumkin and post some reference pictures at different exposures.

Thanks Jer

Yes I agree; the "translucency" isn't even translucency, or even SSS, it's actually a self-illumination thing I did. Hacky, I admit.

And yes, I was really going for a "night exposure" look with a heavy DOF (very open iris) feel.

Oh, did YOU TRY THE GAME?

/Z

Old 10-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #38
jojo1975
Expert

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Giorgio Luciano
Modeller ;)
giorgioluciano.it
Genova, Italy

Yes generally is necessary only to flip normals in max. I'm sorry I'm not @ home since I've moved for some months abroad. otherwise I would have send as alwyas the max file to jeremy. I hope to have a chance to setup my pc in the weekend and give this one a try.
Good start seen since now keep up the good work

Old 10-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #39
RezaTJazayeri
Reza Tayebi J
khaneye koochake animation
Tehran, Iran

Just a few tweaks

Jus a few tweaks...
I used mentalRay`s physical lens for the first time to get the blurry effect. It`s got 2 controls only. one for the distance of focus and another one for the amount of blur. Is there a more advanced way to control this node?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #40
MicahtheMartian
I has a flavor

portfolio
Micah Stanley
Art Director
Buffalo Bay
Greensboro, USA

Send a message via AIM to MicahtheMartian
Here's a quick one, still needs some work

Micah
HCM #18 - Turbocharger

Old 10-05-2007, 11:36 PM   #41
FeD
PRO

portfolio
Yannick Rogeat
Freelance
Voiron, France

Red face hey

great renders all,
here's my contribution to the challenge, i'm new to SSS so it's a good training for me(still not sure how it work).
i'm using Mental-ray, 1directional for moon light, 1arealight for the indoor light, tested occ+Zdepht in photoshop too, but the effect didn't gave what i wanted.

FeD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halloween.jpg (77.4 KB, 239 views)

Old 10-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #42
MicahtheMartian
I has a flavor

portfolio
Micah Stanley
Art Director
Buffalo Bay
Greensboro, USA

Send a message via AIM to MicahtheMartian
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeD
great renders all,
here's my contribution to the challenge, i'm new to SSS so it's a good training for me(still not sure how it work).
i'm using Mental-ray, 1directional for moon light, 1arealight for the indoor light, tested occ+Zdepht in photoshop too, but the effect didn't gave what i wanted.

FeD

Very nice work......I would love to see a glow coming out of there with some low lying fog
HCM #18 - Turbocharger

Old 10-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #43
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Hiya

First time entering a lighting challenge though I've always watched closely
Great renders everyone!
This is my first try, hope I didn't go too off-concept as it's not as dark as the others I've seen here. Maybe I'll try a darker moonlit version afterwards.
C&C very welcome, thanks.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #44
doodlerboy
Frequenter
portfolio
Anthony Thomas
3D Generalist/Lighting and Rendering.
Seattle, United States

Send a message via AIM to doodlerboy Send a message via MSN to doodlerboy Send a message via Yahoo to doodlerboy
Jeremy

Jeremy how do I go about adding a cookie sheet to my lights? I tried adding an image of a tree but all it did was shoot out the colored image of that tree. Should I draw it out in black and white? If so where do I put the black and white image in, the color? The intensity?

Anthony J. Thomas

Old 10-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #45
ACamacho
Conqueror of Tater Tots

portfolio
Angel Camacho
Lighting TD
Blue Sky Studios
Bethel, USA

Send a message via AIM to ACamacho Send a message via Yahoo to ACamacho
I usually put a black and white image connected to the "blend" attribute of a blendcolors node. That way I can still control the colors of the light. And then I just connect the outColor of the blendcolors to the Light.color. This is in Maya of course

reply share thread