Lighting Challenge #12: Halloween

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2007   #16
Thanks to Weepul there's now a Lightwave .lwo file to download. I also added a .3ds file to the download page.

leiluparker - Looking good! I think most of the image is running a bit too dark, I really can't see much of the detail brought out in areas apart from the pumpkin. On the pumpkin itself, you might make things brighter, bring out some of the translucency of the candle glowing from the inside.

RezaTJazayeri - Good start! I like the subtle lighting around the door number in the background. Try to get the pumpkin to look more translucent, with light coming through the edges and brightening the edges of the holes.

-jeremy

Old 10 October 2007   #17
hi jeremy

i thank for the posting of .3ds file

Last edited by swaroopindia2 : 10 October 2007 at 08:35 AM.

Old 10 October 2007   #18
Lookin forward to what people come up with on this one! Should be fun.

Old 10 October 2007   #19
Thought id give it a shot.. 3dsmax + vray

sorry for the poor quality

have to work on the sss a bit, cant get it to work properly

Last edited by simonjaap : 10 October 2007 at 01:16 PM.

Old 10 October 2007   #20
Thanks Jeremy. Does this one look better? I forgot to calibrate my monitor after I put in a new hard drive.
RezaTJazayeri, you can go to apple system preferences/display/color, select your monitor, clik on calibrate, and choose gamma 2.2. I hope this will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halloween05.jpg (96.2 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by leiluparker : 10 October 2007 at 01:43 PM.

Old 10 October 2007   #21
Smile Halloween

..hey guys..heres my entry to the challenge..

Last edited by Klixx : 10 October 2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: url

Old 10 October 2007   #22
omoro - Wonderful image! That's great! Maybe if you're doing another version work on the translucency of the pumpkin more so the sides of the holes carved in it go brighter, and maybe have the doorbell lit up?

leiluparker - Looking good. If you want more definition in the dark areas that make up much of the image, you might try some rim light on key edges. It seems like there's doubled shadows, where even the part of the main light that's in shadow has an extra shadow of the railing cast onto the wall.

simonjaap - That's great! I agree, keep working on the translucency.

-jeremy

Old 10 October 2007   #23
My first lighting challenge.. and what a great theme for this challenge.

Here's my first atempt.. did a quick sketch of a foreground in photoshop

Hope you like it

Old 10 October 2007   #24
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiluparker
RezaTJazayeri, you can go to apple system preferences/display/color, select your monitor, clik on calibrate, and choose gamma 2.2. I hope this will help.

thanks leiluparker...
the brighter version of your work looks a lot better.

Old 10 October 2007   #25
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiluparker

thanks leiluparker...
the brighter version of your work looks a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybirn
RezaTJazayeri - Good start! I like the subtle lighting around the door number in the background. Try to get the pumpkin to look more translucent, with light coming through the edges and brightening the edges of the holes.

You`re right. the pumpkin should look more translucent... I hope using FG make it look better.

You`re render looks pretty good omoro.

Old 10 October 2007   #26
Talking

Here's a quick and dirty one. All done in 3ds max 2008 using the new photographic exposure control, the new self-illumination options, the enhanced glare shader, and other... fun stuff.

/Z

P.S: This reminds me of a game I did once...

Last edited by MasterZap : 10 October 2007 at 06:06 PM.

Old 10 October 2007   #27
Thumbs up ..Thanx guys

...thanx..honesty for the first time..at least for me..il try and fix the gamma correction..but how do i do it in windows vista...a little help...

ill fix the image as soon as i can...thanx guys..just started posting..there'll be a lot of me from now

Old 10 October 2007   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by omoro
...thanx..honesty for the first time..at least for me..il try and fix the gamma correction..but how do i do it in windows vista...a little help...

ill fix the image as soon as i can...thanx guys..just started posting..there'll be a lot of me from now

As far as the Vista gamma goes, you might need to find a set of unofficial drivers on some site that has user scripted drivers.. I've heard of people needing to get these drivers so that they could actually setup the video card options, and use programs like CAD without the 90+% decrease in performance.

Thanks for the suggestions Jeremy, couldn't do too much for centralizing the upper lights.. The one above the door is the only one there.. Other than that I had a directional as the moonlight with a projection map to give the leaves on the wall, and there was a back fill blue light to kinda fill in a crappy basic 3 point setup. I tried comp'ing some passes together so that I could control the shadows a little better.. That and it'll be a lot easier and quicker to do any other changes down the road. Here is a new render of the scene.

Once again, critiques and comments always welcome.

Thanks

Old 10 October 2007   #29
Alright, it might just me being the noob i am, but i was playing around with the translucency and the upper half of the pumpkin just is very different than the bottom half, as you can see in the pic, it has the same material and everything.. im wondering how i can get rid of that?

Old 10 October 2007   #30
@Simonjaap,

Ye, I think it's because, in the top half of the pumpkin the normals of the faces are flipped.

Could be something that happend when importing.

reply share thread