madmar
portfolio
Deniz Intepe
Developer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via MSN to madmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybirn
madmar - That's a good basic concept. I'm not sure what software you're using (is it 3DS Max?) but if you have specific questions post them here or in the forum for your software and I'm sure someone can tackle them. The Brand X bottle doesn't cast much of a shadow, but there's some kind of shadow to the lower right of it that comes from nowhere. The Leet bottle has a lot of black in it, where I'd expect bounce light on the lower surfaces and some extra environment in the refraction.

-jeremy

Thanks Jeremy for your comments..
I am using XSI and mental ray to render.

Alright, here is my second try . I ve tried to fix the shadows, and managed to increase caustics effects.

Actually I would like to put some reflections on the bottles. But first, I will try the basic reflection and if I can find time, I will try to use HDR images..

And as far as I ve seen, there are some low res shadows and the brandx bottle is not good as I want.

As always, C&C s are welcome.

Thanks

Deniz

Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #32
pap87
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John Papafotiou
Lighting TD
Wellington, New Zealand

Hey again.
Here's my second attempt:

I couldn't get any lightbleeding to work so I went for a blurry reflective surface instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzhar
For the grainy blur caused be the depth of field -which my render is suffering from, you could use the al_DOf_lens_plus shader to get smooth results.

Actually the graininess is mostly from the DGS material. It'll go away when I further increase the samples. But where can I get this lens shader you al_DOF_lens_plus shader from?

Old 07-25-2007, 08:05 AM   #33
AndrewMarch
Frequenter
Andrew March
somewheretown, United Kingdom

The site where the models are hosted must be down, I get a timeout when trying to get to it.

Can someone look into this, I was hoping to participate in this one.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #34
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley,

AndrewMarch - It's up and running now if you can try again.

Thanks to mesutcapkin there's now a Cinema 4D version as well.

pap87 - That's a nice image. I wish you could favor the Leet more, maybe the Leet casts the bright blue caustics and the Brand X casts only a dark shadow? Something should make it clear that Leet is the better one, the focus and size in frame are a good start but I think something in the lighting could indicate the preference as well. Feel free to change whatever you want about the scene in order to get your point across.

madmar - Especially if you are using XSI, I think you could get nicer caustics from the Leet bottle, and soften the shadows. Maybe the label doesn't need to cast shadows or at least not block the light so much. I think the label texture isn't mapped accurately to the Leet label, the white border doesn't seem to be a consistent width all the way through.

Kain-Hazem - Welcome. That's a good quality render. Maybe you can keep working and add caustics, and think about other ways to show that Leet is better than Brand X.

DarkNemos - Nice image. The bottles appear to be floating above the ground. I like the metalic look, but it seems strange that the top of the bottle right above the fluid levels is metalic, then the rest is plastic?

MinaRagaie - That's a nice image. Bright rim/kick lights are no necessarily a bad thing, if they are a part of how you are highlighting the product. Keep going with your concept.

-jeremy

Old 07-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #35
railsplitter
Karl Dum
Berkeley, USA

Thanks for the feedback; here's my second image.

Changed:
  • Added bounce lights on both bottle caps. It might be too bright on the Leet bottle but I think it looks OK.
  • Added caustics.
  • Moved BrandX bottle slightly away from Leet to get rid of a weird tangent and also to expose the edge of the reflection of the backing in the bottle to make it less confusing.
  • Some blur in the refraction.
  • DOF to put BrandX subtly out of focus.
  • Cheated index of refraction of the leet liquid to make the image of the BrandX bottle less bizarre.
  • Texture changes to BrandX liquid and plastic to make it also less weirdly CG blurry.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #36
60WE
Veteran

Here is my first setup on this one, still have to smooth out some geometry and fine tune the overall image before the final render.
3 lights used and no post.
C&C and suggestions are welcome!
Cheers everyone!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #37
RavenEye
wannabe veteran

portfolio
Nathan Winfrey
Technical Animator
Visceral, EA
Palo Alto, USA

Send a message via AIM to RavenEye Send a message via Yahoo to RavenEye
Hello all,

I'm a newbie poster in this forum, so please don't be gentle. This is what I got done within my lunch hour. Currently playing around with the lighting before I figure out the best way to display the product. So, anywho tell me what ya'll thinks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leet01.jpg (50.4 KB, 99 views)

Old 07-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #38
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
cg enthusiast / computer science
Cartagena, Colombia

Send a message via MSN to Leotril
Second try .. Experimenting with DoF on this one also some color correction and glow added in After Effects..

@Jeremy.. Thx for ur comments im trieng to work out the caustics pass i need to use Mr for that one and composite back .. hope u like the updates

Cheers

Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #39
Animasta
Digital Assassin

portfolio
Dale Meece
usa, USA

There's no Lightwave file to download. :(

Great entries so far though.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 AM   #40
railsplitter
Karl Dum
Berkeley, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animasta
There's no Lightwave file to download. :(

The OBJ file worked well enough in Lightwave for me...

Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 AM   #41
doodlerboy
Frequenter
portfolio
Anthony Thomas
3D Generalist/Lighting and Rendering.
Seattle, United States

Send a message via AIM to doodlerboy Send a message via MSN to doodlerboy Send a message via Yahoo to doodlerboy
Trial 2

I need to losing the brightness of the Kicker light on the side. But I like the stage set up. Any other advice for the lighting? Could I add lights? Lose lights? Add a certain color tone? Etc...

Anthony J. Thomas

Old 07-26-2007, 03:05 AM   #42
doodlerboy
Frequenter
portfolio
Anthony Thomas
Seattle, United States

Send a message via AIM to doodlerboy Send a message via MSN to doodlerboy Send a message via Yahoo to doodlerboy
Raven Eye

I don't get what's happening in your scene? lol, is the Bottle hanging it'self and the other bottles just watching it happen in the distance, or did it get kicked into the screen by the other bottle?

Anthony J. Thomas

Old 07-26-2007, 03:14 AM   #43
RavenEye
wannabe veteran

portfolio
Nathan Winfrey
Technical Animator
Visceral, EA
Palo Alto, USA

Quote:
I don't get what's happening in your scene? lol, is the Bottle hanging it'self and the other bottles just watching it happen in the distance, or did it get kicked into the screen by the other bottle?

Right now, I'm playing with the composition before I do my add on's. Kinda play with the scene until insperation hits me sort of thing. The inspiration that hit me is to place leet in a soap bubble floating in air. While brand X is left laying there on the ground. Going to try to place a pretty ladies reflection in the bubble.

But, since you mentioned hanging. I can alway put a noose on Brand X and hand him high. I would have leet wearing a white cowboy hat.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:17 AM   #44
doodlerboy
Frequenter
portfolio
Anthony Thomas
Seattle, United States

Yes!

I thought about putting a knoose in Brand X. I started it too and thought, nah. I went for the door slammed in the face ahaha. DO THE KNOOSE RAVEN EYE. I hear ya. It's hard to come up with an idea right off the bat. At least for me. Especially after you look at some of the ideas that were taking before you got the chance to do it. lol First come first serve I guess. haha

Anthony J. Thomas

Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #45
RavenEye
wannabe veteran

portfolio
Nathan Winfrey
Technical Animator
Visceral, EA
Palo Alto, USA

Oh, you can do the noose idea. I don't have a model of a noose or a cowboy hat nor do I want to model those items. Modeling bubbles and bathroom tile is soo much easier.

reply share thread