Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #16
krzlesniewski
portfolio
Krzysztof Leśniewski
Rzeszów, Gliwice, Poland

Send a message via ICQ to krzlesniewski
I've got problem with downloading site - didn't open....

Old 07-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #17
KIDI
Know-it-All

portfolio
Yosef Refaeli
Tel-Aviv, Israel

cant download the model ....

Old 07-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #18
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
cg enthusiast / computer science
Cartagena, Colombia

Send a message via MSN to Leotril
Hi .. nice to have u back Jeremy..
heres my try im missing some DoF for the moment also i dont wanted to be neither to bright or dark something in between // feel free to comment

Cheers

Old 07-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #19
pap87
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John Papafotiou
Lighting TD
Wellington, New Zealand

Hey all.
Lots of very nice entries already.
This is my first time posting in any challenge whatsoever.

Anyway here's my contribution:

Done using Maya and mentalray.
I guess I may change the liquid colours.
Please feel free to criticize it to death!

Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #20
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

madmar - That's a good basic concept. I'm not sure what software you're using (is it 3DS Max?) but if you have specific questions post them here or in the forum for your software and I'm sure someone can tackle them. The Brand X bottle doesn't cast much of a shadow, but there's some kind of shadow to the lower right of it that comes from nowhere. The Leet bottle has a lot of black in it, where I'd expect bounce light on the lower surfaces and some extra environment in the refraction.

d4rk3lf - Great job! You really captured the feeling of jealousy on the part of Brand X. I wonder if it could be taken further, more figures worshipping and fondling the Leet, the camera swung to the left so the Leet is bigger in frame? Just an idea. I'll have to check whether the normals are flipped on the lower part of the dispenser in some of the exported file formats.

Labad85 & KIDI - Sorry if you had trouble downloading or there was an outage. Please try again, the site seems to be working fine.

Leotril - Good start. Maybe some caustics and more light on the Leet liquid and some softer shadows would all build from here.

pap87 - Welcome! That's a good start. I'd like to see more color carrying into the white ground underneath them, as I think it would in real life. I like the chrome look for the dispenser and cap, it makes the product look classy and expensive.

-jeremy

Old 07-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #21
MinaRagaie
Lighting artist

portfolio
Mina Ragaie Zaky
Lighting Technical Director
Arascope
Cairo, Egypt

Send a message via Yahoo to MinaRagaie
White Lights Rig...

ok.. So Far...
Just a "White Lights" Rig...
I'm using GI/FG/AO and outputting some frame buffers... I have a draft comp putting it togather.
Next step is the shaders
I'm planing to put a slogan in the upper right (that's why the composition looks unbalanced for now)

all C&C are welcomed!!
Hey, Are the Rim Lights on Leet way too bright??

-Mina

Last edited by MinaRagaie : 07-24-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #22
lazzhar
Lazhar Rekik

portfolio
Lazhar Rekik
3D and stuff
Algeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap87
Hey all.
Lots of very nice entries already.
This is my first time posting in any challenge whatsoever.

Anyway here's my contribution:

Done using Maya and mentalray.
I guess I may change the liquid colours.
Please feel free to criticize it to death!

Looks great.
I'd try to desaturate the red of BrandX because it's jumping up distracting the viewer who is supposed to be attracted by the other one.
For the grainy blur caused be the depth of field -which my render is suffering from, you could use the al_DOf_lens_plus shader to get smooth results.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #23
lazzhar
Lazhar Rekik

portfolio
Lazhar Rekik
3D and stuff
Algeria

MinaRagaie beautiful rendering.
I think you are right. The light in the left is not working as a proper rim light. Maybe you could try to push it more behind the bottle?
And there is something bizarre a bit in the composition. Thinking about the product as a character, it would be more itneresting -I guess-if it looks right to the negative space rather than looking left outside the frame? Does this ring a bell?
Good luck every one.

doodlerboy as I already explained to you in PM it's just a basic volumetric shader I used in my rendering.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #24
doodlerboy
Frequenter
portfolio
Anthony Thomas
3D Generalist/Lighting and Rendering.
Seattle, United States

Send a message via AIM to doodlerboy Send a message via MSN to doodlerboy Send a message via Yahoo to doodlerboy
Swap

d4rk3lf- I think you should either swap the two bottles, leet in front and the other in back. Or Blur leet a little. OR you could Blur Brand X a little. I don't know just a thought.

Anthony J. Thomas

Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #25
MinaRagaie
Lighting artist

portfolio
Mina Ragaie Zaky
Lighting Technical Director
Arascope
Cairo, Egypt

Send a message via Yahoo to MinaRagaie
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzhar
MinaRagaie beautiful rendering.
I think you are right. The light in the left is not working as a proper rim light. Maybe you could try to push it more behind the bottle?

Thx for the feedback Lazzhar,
what about the right one, do I need to push it more behind the bottle too??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzhar
Thinking about the product as a character, it would be more itneresting -I guess-if it looks right to the negative space rather than looking left outside the frame? Does this ring a bell?

This doesn't just ring a bell, actually it brought to my mind a couple of pictures from Jeremy's book. I bet you know them

as for the composition... there's supposed to be a slogan (in 2d) at the upper right side of the frame. that way the BrandX bottle will be looking at Leet's Slogan and leet would be standing "care free" looking "Proudly the other way...
I'll include that in the next update, then you can tell me if the composition is working for you or not

BTW I checked your Demo Reel, Nice work

-Mina

Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #26
railsplitter
Karl Dum
Berkeley, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaRagaie
Hey, Are the Rim Lights on Leet way too bright??

Yes, I think so - they are going way overrange and clipping over large areas. However, before tweaking it too much I'd recommend finishing the shaders first. If you decide to make your bottle and liquid transparent and drop the diffuse a lot the rim lights might end up being just fine.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #27
railsplitter
Karl Dum
Berkeley, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybirn
railsplitter - That's off to a good start, it looks clean and classy. The colors look good. The bottom of the Leet bottle cap could get some nice Leet-colored bounce light, and maybe some colored caustics or something could even hit the lower part of the Brand X bottle. The refraction is working for the Leet bottle, althought I don't see shadows through the refraction, like around the bottom of the image of the rear bottle. For the Brand X, the lower part especially looks like an opaque bottle, then the upper part has a little more of a clear bottle look.

Thanks. All the bounce in this shot is coming from radiosity, but the multiple transparent surfaces of the bottle and liquid are confusing it and blocking all the up light on both the caps, so I'll fake something in there instead. RE: the shadows through the refraction; believe it or not they are there - the bottles are almost lined up in the direction of the light (a necessity since the BrandX bottle is in Leet's shadow) so in the image of the BrandX bottle in the refraction of the Leet bottle, the shadow is almost directly behind the BrandX bottle (easiest to see in the far upper right corner of the Leet bottle). Again, I may cheat something to make it look less weird, but it's not bothering me as much as the fact that the BrandX bottle is just entirely too weird looking. It's supposed to look bad, but not weird and confusingly CG. I think I made some bad shader decisions.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to get a new version in a day or two...

Old 07-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #28
DarkNemos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Nemanja Stavric
Lighting and Texture Artist
Looking for work
Belgrade, Serbia

Send a message via MSN to DarkNemos
My first lightning challenge...

This is my first ever lightning challenge and i have a very little knowlage about lightning, so i did this for fun. Fell free to criticise me a lot. It took me about 3 hours to render this...

Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #29
Kain-Hazem
Veteran
portfolio
Hazem Alakhras
euroestudios
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Send a message via MSN to Kain-Hazem
Hi everyone

Nice challenge Mr.Jeremy

Great work My brother Lazzhar you are the best

And My brother MinaRagaie that's very very great work

And this is my image

Old 07-25-2007, 02:39 AM   #30
pap87
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John Papafotiou
Lighting TD
Wellington, New Zealand

Are we allowed to change the label colours or design in any way?

reply share thread