neonbulbs
Veteran

portfolio
Donny Yuniarto%2BMurdiono
Generalist and Lighting TD
Omens Studios
Tokyo, Japan

Send a message via MSN to neonbulbs Send a message via Yahoo to neonbulbs
hi all, this is what i've came up so far. Just a rough rendering, not shaded yet and currently still trying to find out what kind of theme that can suit the monster.

Any comment and suggestion are welcome..

cheers..

-donny

Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #62
holle
Frequenter
portfolio
Holger Schoemann
Unna, Germany

Hi there,

looks funny the new challange.
Ok, I make a first setup for my scene.
To make the monster looks flying I add some motionblur to it.
Image was rendered with fr2 and cinema4d.

www.schoemann-unna.de

Old 03-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #63
60WE
Veteran

Some progress on texture and the sky, still a lot of things to fix and maybe I'm going to change the forks with some other stuff.
Here is the pic after eating out the FSM.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #64
Forgott3n

portfolio
Justin Bull
Graphic Designer & Aspiring 3D Designer
Collingwood School
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via AIM to Forgott3n Send a message via MSN to Forgott3n
Fantastic! I plan to delve right into this challenge as my first official inclusion to the CGSociety Community. And what a no better way than to light the spaghetti diety himself.

Now, I seam to be lacking some textures. jeremybirn, you wouldn't mind if I use your Whopper texture?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #65
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley,

Earendil - You've started something, now keep going! Back-lighting the FSM is a good idea. Try to make the landscape look smooth and organic, not making polygons obvious.

neonbulbs - Keep going!

holle - Great start! See if you can get more depth to the eyes, you have inner eye surfaces that could have the iris mapped on if the outer layer was just transparent with reflections and refraction. I like the motion blur. See if you can get softer shadows, right now the shadows really cut-up the pasta. You also need to do some subdivision to the mesh to smooth it out, the pasta and the meatballs are suffering from looking too low-poly.

60WE - Nice solid rocks....

Forgott3n - Welcome! Yes, feel free to grab the portion of the texture that I posted if you want it.

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 03-31-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #66
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley,

Cheesy Looking Test

OK, this is cheesy, but I've just been playing with the scene and I've noticed how easy it is to cross that fine line between reverential and cheesy. I'll try to do better over the next few days:

-jeremy

Old 03-31-2007, 11:48 AM   #67
MooseDog
Dreamer

portfolio
Robin Hoover
Dreamer
Whoville, USA

i've done a bit of a mash-up as well. if that's not ok jeremybirn, please shun and ostrasize me as necessary

flying spaghetti monster as art:

(couple of area lights for key and fill, g.i. for fill, and one last spec only) (good, fun! challenge this time around too)

oh, and the text:

Jackson Pollock (1/28/12-8/11/56)
Flying Spaghetti Monster c. 1945
(Titanium, Obsidian, Glass)

An engagingly rare work from the American Master, Flying Spaghetti Monster
represents Pollock's unique foray into the culinary arts. Hand-formed in his Manhattan studio prior to moving to Springs, NY, this piece is known to signal Pollock's emerging "drip" or "pour" technique.

Art critic Hudson Huffington Morgan IV, writing in The New Yorker in 1947, describes this work as a "disgustingly sensuous homage to the various women of his life, redulent of garlic, fresh basil, screaming El trains and hot summer nights. Desparing of the confines of the City, Pollock was bursting with energy, sodden with new ideas, in love with himself and pasta."

Blog

Last edited by MooseDog : 03-31-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #68
juansilva
Looking for Work

portfolio
Juan Carlos Silva
CG Artist & Animator
Montreal, Canada

My submission

Hi Jeremy,

This was a really fun piece to work on. I'd never make 3D spaghetti before..and it's tough to make it look like actual spaghetti...but I guess since the model is very cartoony there's more than you can get away with. (Phew)

I wanted the volcano active in the scene..so I looked up a few reference pictures and found 2 that I really liked. One set at night with the lava glowing and another one that was all red lit up in fire with red smoke and all. So I decided to give both of them a try.

I used 3 different colors on the monsters "tentacles" if you will...'cuz I wanted it to be tricolor pasta, you know, the yellow, green and red one...but it doesn't show all that much, especially on the second scene. The first one ended up looking more like an alien monster but I'm still pretty happy with the result...but that's just me.

I would appreciate any feedback you could give me on my work. Thank you very much for your help.

Juan Carlos

Old 03-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #69
bohlrocka

Alexander Bohl
Kassel, Germany

It only comes out at night

hello there,

I thought such thing would only come out at night. so my first try is to show the FSM in a night scenario.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #70
suchoparek
Veteran
Giacomo Larocca Conte
Trecchina, Italy

Ok, I faked (?) the shadow using a spotlight projection, blurrin and adding a blueish color. I don't know if caustics cover the shadow (like this) or viceversa . Little overexposing the sky, now looks better to me. I don't like the tomato-blood trail, any suggest how to make it in photoshop is welcome. The eyes and the canyon will fix soon, as well as adding DOF.

@Moosedog and Jcsilvar: great ideas!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:01 PM   #71
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley,

MooseDog - That's great! The concept is wonderful. I think with a few tweaks mostly to the materials, you could get the whole thing looking 100% realistic, and that would add to it. You have it looks like 3 different shades of plastic in it, maybe if you made something a little lighter than the pasta, but darker than the other tones, you could make it all out of the same material. The highlights as if there were a low-angle spotlight on it aren't very realistic, maybe a toned-down highlight coming from a higher angle would fit the scene better. The pedistal is great, the text could probably slide a bit to the right for a more natural margin.

jcsilvar - Wow!! This thread is getting really, really good all of a sudden! I love both those images. The volcano is fabulous. It has a real sense of energy about it, even the more stylized aspects like the way there are stripes of clouds radiating away like shockwaves instead of just a cloud of smoke coming out of the top, make for an interesting eye-catching scene. In terms of color, they both work. Maybe the cool blue tone in the top one helps the warm tones pop out better, I love what the deep blue does for the glow from the lava flow in the foreground. If the monster could have some red kick or rim light to make it look like it was lit by all of this, it could tie it together better. In terms of composition, it seems like having the monster heading off-screen to the right sortof puts the balance of the shot with where he's heading, instead of directing us back into the scene. If he could turn to the left instead, maybe just enough to face the camera, I think it would be a much stronger image - with everything you have set-up, I hope it wouldn't take long to try that yourself and see if you agree with me or not.

suchoparek - Nice! The red in the water is confusing, is it supposed to be pasta sauce dripping down? In terms of shadow tones, look at the cliff in the center right of the scene. There are brighter tones and shadow tones on the cliff where parts of it self-shadow. The shadow tones aren't very dark, they are just darker than the direct sun. The same is true with the shadow color that fills most of the cliff walls on the left, they are in shadow but they don't go black. Where you add the shadow of the monster, maybe a much, much lighter tone that matched the shadow tone on the other cliffs would fit with your scene better?

-jeremy

Old 04-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #72
juansilva
Looking for Work

portfolio
Juan Carlos Silva
CG Artist & Animator
Montreal, Canada

Hi Jeremy,

thanks so much for your feedback! You're right...the rim light on the model is too subtle...I didn't add that much intensity to it 'cuz I didn't want the model to look too orange...but I went too low instead...I will fix that for sure. Oh, and I'll turn the monster slightly towards the camera like you suggested...as soon as I read your comment on it, I looked at the picture and it was like "THAT's what was wrong with this thing". I knew there was some issue composition wise...I just couldn't quite point out what it was.

Luckily I rendered everything in passes,so it shouldn't take too long to fix the image.

Thanks again, Jeremy!! You da' man!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #73
mesutcapkin

portfolio
Mesut Capkin
3d
Gladbeck, Germany

Hi.

Meanwhile... trying to find a different perspective and minor shader tweaks here and there...

Mesut.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #74
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley,

bohlrocka - Welcome! That's a really good "night" feeling, the light colors and the sky backdrop give just the right tone. You might do more polygon smoothing and work on the rocks. The composition is almost there, it seems as if the camera should move further ahead of him, so we see more of his front and there's more extra space in front of him for him to travel into.

mesutcapkin - That's great! The composition, and the expression on the character's face as he sees the meatsauce, are really spot-on! I wonder if the inside of the pan looks enough like the inside of a pan, though, because people need to understand what they are looking at - maybe the highlight should just be a tall vertical highlight, and there could be more reflections or shadows from the side to define the roundness? These are just ideas, but really getting the materials including the cookware and sauces to look great is the key, probably more reflectivity would help the sauce too.

-jeremy

Old 04-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #75
MooseDog
Dreamer

portfolio
Robin Hoover
Dreamer
Whoville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybirn
MooseDog - That's great! The concept is wonderful. I think with a few tweaks mostly to the materials, you could get the whole thing looking 100% realistic, and that would add to it. You have it looks like 3 different shades of plastic in it, maybe if you made something a little lighter than the pasta, but darker than the other tones, you could make it all out of the same material. The highlights as if there were a low-angle spotlight on it aren't very realistic, maybe a toned-down highlight coming from a higher angle would fit the scene better. The pedistal is great, the text could probably slide a bit to the right for a more natural margin.
-jeremy

much appreciated jeremy. thorough and adept critiques are pretty rare, your efforts stand out.

digesting this and working on it as i type .

Blog

reply share thread