Lighting Challenge #10: Flying Spaghetti Monster

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2007   #31
Diabolos - Sorry about your dinner! Your scene is off to a great start, I like the idea of different colored stripes on the canyon walls. I guess the volcano should be some other texture, not horizontal stripes though, since it is a volcano not layers of sediment.

lotusexige - Great start! I love the clouds and mist, they are really terrific looking already! What software/technique are you using for those clouds?

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 03 March 2007 at 06:30 AM.

Old 03 March 2007   #32
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jeremybirn: It's funny, after working with the macro shots of the Whopper surface, I didn't feel hungry anymore myself, and ended up throwing away the patty and using the whopper toppings (onion, pickle, etc.) on a veggie burger. Here's a full-res crop from my Burger King Whopper texture:

EWW!

That looks vaugely like the sheep intestines they used for the face hugger shots in the original "Alien" movie.

/Z

Old 03 March 2007   #33
Hi
Ok this my try I hope you like it

Old 03 March 2007   #34
Thumbs up

Whoah, that one makes me go "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

/Z

Old 03 March 2007   #35
Thankyou

Thankyou. I'll surely give it a try.

Thanks.

Old 03 March 2007   #36
LOL last one was pretty good nice mood alien looking no more pasta.,.
mine is looking very cartoon right now and im afraid ill end up puttin the truck in the scene ..

Old 03 March 2007   #37
simple

i tried this as well ... hehehe . stylized

here it is

Last edited by weng888 : 03 March 2007 at 06:21 PM.

Old 03 March 2007   #38
I've recovered enough now from the image of Jeremy's burger to do a bit more to this, with some texturing on the vertical parts of the terrain (though I'm putting off sorting out the smeary bits), adding the Physical Sun light shader (needs very low intensity values, helps fix some of the uneven lighting on the monster) and messing about a bit with the water, though I think I'm going to have to have a rethink about how to approach that.
Lotusexige - Hey ! Nice clouds !
Kain-Hazem - One of the great things about these challenges is the way that people come up with really different approaches to the same scene. Creepily atmospheric...I'll go along with Master Zap on this one...

Old 03 March 2007   #39
Wink This one looks kind of fun

Hey Jeremy,

I am glad you decided to go for the Flying Spaghetti lighting Challenge. I will be posting my entry later on this week. Looks like a lot of people like it so far. late

Gato3D

Old 03 March 2007   #40
Kain-Hazem - Wow! That's terrific! Great job! It's great when an environment and a color scheme expresses a feeling. It's even more powerful when characters are a part of the environment, and you can feel for them. If there's anything important that you might work on in other images, it would be thinking about how the creatures can be made sympathetic, so you know if they are sad or relaxed, resting or dieing, or whatever they are feeling at the moment. Sometimes little things like angle and pose help with that, other times a little facial expression in the eye area. On the technical side it looks terrific. You might do some polygon smoothing on the creatures, especially the one in the foreground, to make them more organic, and maybe the one in the foreground could be darkeneed down with less reflection?

weng888 - Stylized or not, if you work harder on believable lighting, then you could better sell the scene to the viewer.

andystopps - Great! First you got the horozontal, now you're getting the cliffs looking good. I think you need some more polygon smoothing to smooth the transition between them, too. (either that or some edge mapping on the top surface to get it to react to the shape of the drop-off?)

-jeremy

Old 03 March 2007   #41
Originally Posted by jeremybirn:
weng888 - Stylized or not, if you work harder on believable lighting, then you could better sell the scene to the viewer.

-jeremy

i was just trying a stylized look ... will make something else then ...

sher

Old 03 March 2007   #42
first monster try

Hi.

Just wanted to have some fun with this interesting scene.
Sorry for it being quite grainy... didn't let it cook too long...
If I'd be able to generate a pot full of spaghetti ingredients, I'd head towards this kitchen scene, I think... to see what I could I get out of it, when shaders, lights and details are being paid attention to... help in form of crits/comments would help a lot... Thx.

Mesut.

Old 03 March 2007   #43
hi all! lots of great images so far.. nice going guys, going to post mine soon.

@kain-hazem : wow!! i didn't know that spagghetti can look so crystal. anyway nice image man, more touch ups on the environment to make the monsters blend with the environments and your image will look great. nice job

Old 03 March 2007   #44
mesutcapkin - Nice scene! I like the appearance of the eyes, they have a lot of depth to them. So, that's like meat or spaghetti sauce in the pan? I guess for working on anything that looks like a really extreme close-up, I recommend finding or shooting some really good visual reference so you know exactly what it looks like and possibly can turn some of the photos into textures.

weng888 - Don't be :( no harm intended. There's nothing wrong with doing a stylized scene, keep the composition and models, just don't use "stylized" as an excuse not to work hard on believable lighting. What you posted was all flatly lit, mostly overexposed, looked like you just threw a few lights in there thinking it didn't matter how well lit it was just because it was a cartoon, and that's where you shouldn't cut corners in a lighting challenge. That's all I was saying.

-jeremy

Old 03 March 2007   #45
My try

Hey this is what I've rendered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spaghette monster copy.jpg (84.3 KB, 442 views)

reply share thread