Lighting Challenge #10: Flying Spaghetti Monster

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2007
60WE - Great start! If I were you I'd work on the sky/environment next. The sky is a big part of the image, it probably needs clouds, and the sky will be a big part of the reflections in making nice metalic looking forks. Your terrain on the cliff walls looks terrific! The ground looks very dry now, so right next to the water you might want it to get darker and wetter looking near the water line. The water surface itself is very regularly textured. I'm looking forwards to seeing your next version.

-jeremy

03 March 2007
Love the gauntlet of forks idea, 60We !
Here's a preliminary render to establish the camera angle, sunlight direction etc. I've used the Mental Ray Physical Sky environment shader with a single infinite light and final gather. You're supposed to be able to use Physical Sky with a Physical Sun shader on the light but whatever the settings this seems to come out far too bright, like the poor old spag monster's drifted into an H-bomb test range. The textures on the ground are a quick fix up to see how it's looking from bits of images of the Martian surface downloaded from the European Space Agency website. (Many useful textures free for non-commercial use).

03 March 2007
Hahaha, that is brilliant!

03 March 2007
The Lightwave file and link available for download is actually a .MAX file and thus rather useless for Lightwave...

03 March 2007
My bad - cut/paste error in the HTML - I fixed the download page if you shift-reload you'll see a working link to http://www.3drender.com/challenges/...Monster_LWO.rar

-jeremy

03 March 2007
andystopps - Great start! I love the texture on the horizontal parts of the terrain. See if you can get softer lighting on the FSM, right now it looks as if all the light from above comes from just one angle, and parts that are in shadow from that don't look top-lit at all.

-jeremy

03 March 2007
Jeremy, thank you very much for your comment, I'm working on the sky/environment and for sure it will take some time to make it look decent. Regarding the textures I think that I'll start to work on them later on, right now the ground is just a flat color with a bit of bump just to check how the terrain is unwrapped.

@ andystopps...glad you like the idea, I agree with Jeremy about the texture on the horizontal parts it gives a sense of a "big" space.

03 March 2007
No words come to mind.

Wow. Im speechless. This challenge's going to be by far the coolest one yet hahahaha. It's more towards comedy than anything.

Anthony J. Thomas

03 March 2007
60WE - I know what you mean, I'm trying this too and it is a real challenge, a lot of work!

All I got done today was some textures for the meatballs and the eyes. Here's a test render of the textures:

I already had some eye textures sitting around, but for the meatballs I had to buy a Whopper at Burger King, photograph it, and make it tile...

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 03 March 2007 at 05:08 AM.

03 March 2007
Talking

Darn, Jeremy. that meatball texture makes me hungry.

Your noodly appendages, though, needs some work.

/Z

03 March 2007
Originally Posted by MasterZap: Darn, Jeremy. that meatball texture makes me hungry.

Your noodly appendages, though, needs some work.

It's funny, after working with the macro shots of the Whopper surface, I didn't feel hungry anymore myself, and ended up throwing away the patty and using the whopper toppings (onion, pickle, etc.) on a veggie burger. Here's a full-res crop from my Burger King Whopper texture:

But I agree, I need to work on the pasta. I've started some tests on shaders.

-jeremy

03 March 2007
my go

thanks for ruining the appetite for the rest of us - some of us are on different global times and were ready to have dinner..........

03 March 2007
my first render

Hi,

This is my very first render and post in this society. Though this is the result what I achieved in my first render, apart from test renders. Hope you like it and would love if you criticise the mistakes. Looking forward for your C&Cs.

Thanks,
-M.Junaid Baig.

BTW: How do I post/insert my image? It is stored in my local HDD.

03 March 2007
One of the simplest ways of posting an image is to upload it to a site such as

imageshack.us

which hosts images and provides you with URL's linking directly to it. You then drop that URL into this forum.

There are plenty of similar sites, Imageshack is the one that comes to mind first. Try a search for "image hosting" and you should get a bunch of results.

Cheers.

03 March 2007
I'm really going to try and animate this one

I want a deep cloud cover, perhaps having a waterfall off the edge of the cliff in the bottom right of this pic, with all the haze and mist that creates.

Obviously need to shade the char too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CG_Spag.jpg (23.4 KB, 517 views)

Thread Closed share thread