Lighting Challenge #9: Neon and Chrome

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2007   #46
MasterZap - Wow You're just awesome with scenes! Thats really good. so full of colors! by the way the last image on your last post, how did you get the streaking reflection in the road of the head lights? is that something that just came from the shader or was there something specifically done to get it stretched along the road like that? I'm so jelous of how you got the objects in your scene to feel! how do you do it?

Dodgeas3d - Really good render! I like the texturing you have going for the building and road. Keep going!

ACamacho - It's nice to see renders of 3d scenes that show off photography skills, Nice angle and really nice mood you have set i really like it! can't wait to see what else you have instore for it. You have a similar idea it seems of how i was thinking of the lighting in the scene so hopefully when i get the chance mine wont look to much like a copy, even though it probually wont compare to the quality and show of skills yours will!

Old 02 February 2007   #47
Originally Posted by MasterZap: A more "dramartic" angle...

/Z

Thats a awesome render. I'm simply amazed .. speechless

Old 02 February 2007   #48
Originally Posted by MasterZap: The "Round Corners" features really helps to naturalize those artificially sharp edges....

Errr ... what is that ? A new Maya 8.5 feature?

Old 02 February 2007   #49
Talking

Almost done...

"An evening at the Cinema...."

/Z

Old 02 February 2007   #50
MasterZap, stop it ! You make me crazy. ;-)
I'm working on this challenge but it needs
so and so time...

Last edited by JCBug : 02 February 2007 at 02:43 PM.

Old 02 February 2007   #51
Wow MasterZap, really awesome update. I think you are right that it is just about finished. The only small critique/suggestion I would have is to maybe increase the reflectivity of the windshield a bit (even if it isn't very realistic) so that we don't see inside of the cab of the truck quite so clearly. It just looks a bit odd to have the rest of the scene so finished but then see no one actually driving the truck...

Anyways, I love it so far...the rain is a nice touch too. can't wait to see the final version.

-Brian

Old 02 February 2007   #52
Originally Posted by MasterZap: Almost done...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f...ap/carportC.jpg
"An evening at the Cinema...."

/Z

I bet you've been working on that movie in the ad..?

Astro Man
!!!!!!!

Six Tuts On Light And Shade

Old 02 February 2007   #53
Talking

Originally Posted by dodgeas3d: Tell me how did u get thoose reflection glows? or even neon glows? ur r using max mental right?

This is done in max mental, yes, but it could be done in any mental. I was using the Lume 'Glare' shader for the glows.

Originally Posted by yencaray: MasterZap - Wow You're just awesome with scenes! Thats really good. so full of colors!

Thanks! I'm getting kinda happy with how this turns out too!

Originally Posted by y: by the way the last image on your last post, how did you get the streaking reflection in the road of the head lights? is that something that just came from the shader or was there something specifically done to get it stretched along the road like that?

Nothing special, the Arch&Design/mia_material does a modified multilayered ward highlight, which has that feature. The bump adds to that too, so it behaves as it does in reality, basically.

Originally Posted by y: I'm so jelous of how you got the objects in your scene to feel! how do you do it?

This is all using stuff from the mental ray "architectural.dll" shader pack that is available inside max9, maya 8.5 and XSI 6.

- new material from architectural.dll known as "arch&design" (max) "mia_material" (maya) or "architecturalmaterial" (XSI) everywhere (except the car paint)
- use the 'rounded corner' feature from architectural.dll that makes render time bevels to edges so they don't look "computery sharp"
- use physical area lights everywhere
- use FG
- use tone mapping (mia_exposure_simple from architectural.dll)

Errr ... what is that ? A new Maya 8.5 feature?

Technically it's a mental ray 3.5 / architectural.dll feature (which comes with aformentioned product versions of your "favourite tool")

Originally Posted by floze: I bet you've been working on that movie in the ad..?

Oh, look at the birdie!

Btw, the deck of the Posseidon has a lot of glossy wood on it, did you know that?

/Z

Old 02 February 2007   #54
Once again master Zap.... could you explain how to get glare effecting only specific object? i found in a shader object tags (labels) option.... but whats that? object id? mat id? none of them is working....

Btw your "ENTER" is nasty looking, add some face cuts to letters to fix mesh

OKTA-STUDIO.com <<< Protfolio Rendering/Lighting

Last edited by Dodgeas3d : 02 February 2007 at 11:22 AM.

Old 02 February 2007   #55
Originally Posted by MasterZap: - use the 'rounded corner' feature from architectural.dll that makes render time bevels to edges so they don't look "computery sharp"
Technically it's a mental ray 3.5 / architectural.dll feature (which comes with aformentioned product versions of your "favourite tool")

@MasterZap: Thanks for the answer .. in fact i hoped that [introducing dramatic music with deep voice pronouncing especially all "U" and "O" vocals] SOMEDAY, SOMEONE ON THIS BELOVED PLANET WOULD BRING THE OLD F-EDGE PLUGIN IDEA TO OUR RENDERERS ... THAT DAY -MY FELLOW FRIENDS- HAS COME!!

have to try this soooon

Old 02 February 2007   #56
Just downloaded the file. Now to see whether I could squeeze some time to give this scene a go... Its too interesting a scene to miss...

Old 02 February 2007   #57
Talking

Originally Posted by Dodgeas3d: Once again master Zap.... could you explain how to get glare effecting only specific object?

I don't - the Glare only is added on overbrights, and in this scene only some highlights and the self-illuminating things are bright enough.

Originally Posted by Dodgeas3d: i found in a shader object tags (labels) option.... but whats that? object id? mat id? none of them is working....

Neither, by default it looks at something that isn't actually available in max. This is one of the reason the shader is "hidden" (i.e. not "officially supported") in max, since some of it's features isn't working correctly.

Originally Posted by Dodgeas3d: Btw your "ENTER" is nasty looking, add some face cuts to letters to fix mesh

I know, I was originally planning on leaving that offscreen (and I might, havn't decided final 'framing' yet) but I kinda liked my shiny trashcan

(Thats actually a real problem with an image like this; when you put so much work into some details and then they don't end up in the final image at all.... but it's the old 'Kill Your Darlings' dilemma).

/Z

Old 02 February 2007   #58
yea but you can allways choose 3 angles of your work (i mean like this scene) to show up your lighting sometimes it seems one image is not enough

Here is my second test render... still tweaking neon and some textures....but im already going for what i want ...

OKTA-STUDIO.com <<< Protfolio Rendering/Lighting

Old 02 February 2007   #59
Hey guys thats a nice job .. i was gonna upload my first render but i gues im going to hold back a bit after seen last render and work more on those shaders

..the rendertimes are about an hour using raytrace and gi any feedback on rendertimes ..will be cool to improve on that also i was exporting as tiff16 to add glow in aftereffects cause i havent implemented that on on maya any suggestion for the other format i cant use ? tiff32 doesn look right ..

@Dodgeas3d.. your a Pro nice work on those shaders i like ur prevos angle and resolution try wo work on those reflections on the windshield it looks black ..

heres what i got so far sorry about the tires at defaul settings only paint added and glass

Last edited by Leotril : 02 February 2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: more spelling issues :)

Old 02 February 2007   #60
... wooow .. you are fast .. damn for all that everydaywork ive to do actually, i want to give that scene a shot!

question: for those "lights", do you use duplicates for the visual neons and invisible objects with other gi-visible shaders for the light-casting, or do you place lights where the objects are?

I did a quick&dirty rendering with final render, setting up all neons to incandescence which results in very nice lighting (but resulting in wrong light distribution since the scene is to small compared for 1 maya unit = 1 cm). problem is, that the light emitting objects fully burn out - so duplicates are neccessary for the gi-way i guess.

reply share thread