Lighting Challenge #9: Neon and Chrome

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2007   #31
MasterZap very nice job. I have one main question. I am using Maya 6 but how on earth do you get lights to make your scene looks so good. I have done a lot of light linking and breaking so some things get lit properly but all I have right now is 2 points lights and 2 directional lights. I am also using mental ray but my truck looks nothing like yours. Please man share some of your secrets. Fantastic job!

Old 01 January 2007   #32
Talking

A more "dramartic" angle...

/Z

Old 01 January 2007   #33
Talking

Originally Posted by MasterZap: A more "dramartic" angle...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f...ap/carport3.jpg

/Z

Awesome, I love the carpaint and the chrome! Some more textures on the walls and stuff and it's perfect!

Astro Man
!!!!!!!

Six Tuts On Light And Shade

Old 01 January 2007   #34
Originally Posted by floze: Awesome, I love the carpaint and the chrome! Some more textures on the walls and stuff and it's perfect!

Thanks!

Whats "fun" is that the carpaint is pretty much default mr car paint shader, and the chrome pretty much default "chrome" settings on mia_material....

Yeah it needs some paint for the rest.... and some things doesn't even have materials assigned yet....

/Z

Old 01 January 2007   #35
Hi there! First time participating on this challenges (finally!!!), I'm starting to use MentalRay for Max (Max9+MR 3.5) so please be gentle but C&C are very appreciated Hope you enjoy! Cya.

P.S.- No post work here, directly out of Max.
http://www.ycdivfx.com

Old 01 January 2007   #36
Talking

Here is an updated version. I redid the coloring on the headlights/lamps and created some light fog. I also tweaked with my neon lights and added a few more in. C & C is encouraged thanks.

Old 01 January 2007   #37
Scizzer08: I would probably zoom in the camera more. Granted it's early and you'll probably add more neon lighting. But maybe adding a more interesting composition? Try adding some lights around the entrance to show more light contribution from the neon signs and maybe adding an overall fill to compliment the scene better. Go wild with the color scheme.

Kameleon: Sort of the same issue here except less with camera angle and more with lighting direction. You have the light coming from the entrance, moonlight, streetlamps it seems, and light from the signs. Maybe picking one of those areas to "punch" up? The inner area of the garage looks great. The overall scene feels nice with the subtle variety of color in there.

MasterZap: Wow. Truck looks awesome. Looking forward to the final.

update:

goin slow but done over lunch. Fire away....

p.s: forgot to add that it's done in Maya and rendered in mental ray. There is CC/grain/glows added in post (Shake).

Old 01 January 2007   #38
Realy great scene and great challenge you choose.

It seems that the c4d version isn't working with Cinema 4d 9.6 :/

Old 01 January 2007   #39
corack: I converted and saved the Cinema4d file in R10. The file was a lot of work to clean up in cinema so I don't know if I will take the time to do a version for 9.6. Try using the fbx or obj version. fbx usually imports best for me but you might get good results importing the obj using the free riptide plugin.

Old 01 January 2007   #40
@ACamacho- awesome job so far, the flourescent lights and the neon around the "P" look really great so far. It's going to look great once you finish some more of the texturing. Keep it up.

@MasterZap- Great start as well! The neon arrow on the wall seems a little too blown out to me, and the sky in the upper right seems a bit bright for the scene (it doesn't look like night time, which I am assuming it is....) but other than that things are looking great, especially the truck. looking forward to more.

Great job everyone, looking forward to more to come!

-Brian

Old 01 January 2007   #41
Thats very intersting.. i'm in

Old 01 January 2007   #42
Some Feedback

Don't want to be too nitpicky now, this is a big scene to get going with and most people are clearly just getting started.

I started doing something that I'll continue with for a while: I've edited the first post to show a really terrific image, so people who visit the thread for the first time see something more than a screenshot.

@ACamacho - Wonderful scene you're creating there, I love how the neon is reflected in the car. I hope you won't do that much bloom/glow work on your final product, it looks almost as if the neon signs are in a dense fog (although their reflections don't have the fog) and I think once the surfaces and lighting are working better you won't need to post-process so much.

@Kameleon & @Scizzer08 - There's room to explore the sort of mixed lighting environment we've got here: there's the mostly-flourescent light spilling out of the garage, the street lighting, and then whatever light from the sky or other off-screen lights fills in the roadway. The different areas should have different lighting, with different colors, different shadows.

@MasterZap - Awsome work so far! I hope you don't mind that I quote your image in the first post now to help promote this thread. Whoever wrote that carpaint shader you're using must be a genius. I can't really tell what's happening in the front windshield in this one - is that a reflection of something or are we looking though it?

@fraa - Welcome! Keep going with your work!

@d4rk3lf - A "Las Vegas" theme might work on really well, good idea! I guess we'll see a lot of interesting reflections on the car once it becomes reflective. It looks like you started with the side walls in terms of light spilling out from the garage, looks like it needs it through the entrance as well.

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2007   #43
Jeremy, this Challenge is hard ! Thank you for give us a lot of job. ;-)

Wow, Masterzap ! I know your very good past jobs on lighting
challenges. But here, you're great !
I'm thinking in myself what can I do now ?
Your level is very hard, I have to work a lot...

Old 01 January 2007   #44
Talking

Originally Posted by jeremybirn: @MasterZap - Awsome work so far! I hope you don't mind that I quote your image in the first post now to help promote this thread.

No problemo, naturellement!

Originally Posted by jeremy: Whoever wrote that carpaint shader you're using must be a genius.

Yeah, I wish I could meet him! At least I hear you met the guy, even had beer with him. And he has a signed copy of your book, you lucky bastard!

Originally Posted by jeremy: I can't really tell what's happening in the front windshield in this one - is that a reflection of something or are we looking though it?

I think it's an incorrect reflection due to incorrectly exported normals. I re-smoothed the glass with max's auto-smooth and got something that makes a lot more sense now.

The scene is - outside of the carpaint shader - 100% "arch&design" ("mia_material" in Maya 8.5 speak), and physical light + tonemapping + glare. I'm really trying to do this as "physical" as possible.

I must say life is much easier for me now that my new set of shaders are released and I don't have to hide the fact that I'm using your challanges as a great test bed...

Some more tests (assigning some new materials):

The "Round Corners" features really helps to naturalize those artificially sharp edges....

This one shows there's clearly something fishy going on w. the normals on the windsheild...

And another actual "entry"....

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap : 01 January 2007 at 06:08 PM.

Old 01 January 2007   #45
Nice renders Zap!

Tell me how did u get thoose reflection glows? or even neon glows? ur r using max mental right?
Here is a test render, still lots of mess but gonna fix

OKTA-STUDIO.com <<< Protfolio Rendering/Lighting

reply share thread