reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #61
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

andystopps - See if you can simplify and go closer to one key light and its shadows in a very clean render. Right now there's too much bounce on some things, it looks especially sourcy on the orange, and there are these extra rims on the grapes that seem out of place. There are hard lines on the fabric background and some of the grapes that might just be in the texture maps. Some of the stems appear to be glowing. There's a strange outline around some of the fruits in back, I can't tell where that's coming from. Anyway, you don't want things to look overworked from too many separate lights and too much cheating, because that can all add up to an image that isn't believable.

sandykoufax - Brighten up the things that got darker. I don't really see the gradient with distance underwater yet. I see some lighting on the posts, but it should go from the bright warm sunlight into the cool blue sky, not just medium gray to dark gray. Does the sunlight hitting the hat cast a shadow?

-jeremy

Old 03-11-2007, 11:20 PM   #62
Chrisdc
Spoil Monkey

portfolio
Christopher Crouch
Hatfield, United Kingdom

Hello, thanks for your comments on my last image. In retrospect I fell I was approaching the problem without any clear idea of what I was aiming for, so I have now started again with a new lighting setup, as well as adjusting some of the materials in the scene. In this new image I have attempted to replicate the look of natural light falling on the fruit.

This is the rendered image:

Backdrop radiosity (I mistyped background before) as a rendering option in Lightwave. When it is activated Lightwave uses the background image as an image based light source with occlusion, but no bounce calculations. I am still using this in my new setup, but at a much lower intensity in an attempt to get away from the flat lighting you mentioned before. I am also using four area lights and a couple of spotlights as shown:

Thanks again for all help provided,

Chris

Last edited by Chrisdc : 03-11-2007 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Added light colours to breakdown image.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #63
juansilva
Looking for Work

portfolio
Juan Carlos Silva
CG Artist & Animator
Montreal, Canada

My first challenge

Hi guys,

I'm getting started on the lighting challenges, so here's my try at the first one. The textures are done in photoshop with photo bases, some paint layers, and a few adjustment layers. The lighting was done with mental ray.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you very much.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #64
juansilva
Looking for Work

portfolio
Juan Carlos Silva
CG Artist & Animator
Montreal, Canada

Image not showing

Ooookaay, well that didn't work. I uploaded the image but it's not showing up. Could someone please tell me how to post my image entry for the fruit bowl challenge? Thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #65
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

jcsilvar - On the download page there's links to threads with posting help.

Chrisdc - It looks like you have a bit too much bounce light from the cloth and environment, but not enough bounce light between fruit, such as from the apple to the left side of the pear. Try to make the leaf look more translucent, and see if you can get the highlights on the orange to be white, just to punch it up a little. Your light outline in mentions a rim light, but there's no rim light in your shot, maybe it could actually use a little rim on the left of the grapes?

-jeremy

Old 03-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #66
doodlerboy
Frequenter
portfolio
Anthony Thomas
3D Generalist/Lighting and Rendering.
Seattle, United States

Send a message via AIM to doodlerboy Send a message via MSN to doodlerboy Send a message via Yahoo to doodlerboy
Under the board wlak troubles

Jeremy I've been looking in all the forums and I still can't find any info on fog. Can anyone just give me a straight answer on how to make the under waterlook like it fades in the distance? This is really hard for me guys.

Anthony J. Thomas

Old 03-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #67
Chrisdc
Spoil Monkey

portfolio
Christopher Crouch
Hatfield, United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice, I'll work on the areas you mentioned. Doodlerboy's post reminded me that I've been forgetting to mention that I've been using a small amount of fog in my scene as well.

Doodlerboy - If I may I'll make a quick comment on your fog issues. I suspect you'll find much more information about fog in your software's documentation then you will here on CGTalk. You mention using Maya in one of your old posts. Assuming this is what you are using you may like to search the online documentation (online here) for fog. I have very little Maya experience, but the environment fog page looks promising to me.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #68
neonbulbs
Veteran

portfolio
Donny Yuniarto%2BMurdiono
Generalist and Lighting TD
Omens Studios
Tokyo, Japan

Send a message via MSN to neonbulbs Send a message via Yahoo to neonbulbs
hi all, those are great entries guys! this forum is really great to keep on sharpening our lighting skills. by the way thanks jeremy for the comments, i really appreciated it. I also got a question, i know that maybe this is really not related with this particular subjet but do lighting artist need to work with calibrated monitor, especially the one that used software like equaleyes that can apply custom LUT to the monitor? Maybe you guys who have more experience in big studio can answer my question (especially you jeremy.. ), cause i kind of a at lost here and if any of you can help with it, i really appreciate it.

cheeersss..

Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #69
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

neonbulbs -

Be careful about doing too much custom work to your monitor, or else you might see images differently than everyone else who looks at your posts. Of course people in larger companies calibrate all the monitors, and some studios have special colorspace requirements, but I don't use any custom stuff at home, and I have the color management in Photoshop turned off so images won't look different in Photoshop than in other windows.

-jeremy

Old 03-15-2007, 11:53 PM   #70
icedeyes
Be prepared...

portfolio
George Kyparissous
VFX Artist
TD Generalist
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to icedeyes Send a message via Yahoo to icedeyes
here is what i have so far

I am very new to lighting and shading (i mostly just create models) but i have to learn how to do it someday... Here is what i have so far... C&C welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fruit.jpg (28.7 KB, 65 views)

My online portfolio

Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #71
neonbulbs
Veteran

portfolio
Donny Yuniarto%2BMurdiono
Generalist and Lighting TD
Omens Studios
Tokyo, Japan

Send a message via MSN to neonbulbs Send a message via Yahoo to neonbulbs
hi,

thanks alot for the advice jeremy, i really appreciate it. but how about when we trying to put the image or animations into other format, let's say like a video to be played on tv. Do the color from the image that we rendered in cg will change?

cheers...

Old 03-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #72
andystopps
Veteran

Andy Stopford
United Kingdom

Thanks for your suggestions Jeremy, I have tried to tidy this up a bit; many of the odd effects were due to me getting carried away with the ability to add lots of layers to Slim's Deluxe shader - three different rim effects aren't necessarily better than one...I think I've got that out of my system anyway, and am now trying to figure out how to use the Renderman coordinate system. I haven't yet found anyone here at Teeside University who knows how to use Renderman and most of the info on the net is either aimed solely at RfM, or is strictly for programmers and incomprehensible to ordinary mortals like me.
With regard to monitors, I've found the best thing is to view a test image on a selection of different ones (both CRT and LCD) and then try to adjust my own to some sort of average. Not perfect but the best one can do. I've found that encoding for DVD removes a lot of subtlety from colours. I don't know whether you can adjust for this at the encoding stage, I've found it best to increase saturation first - getting it right is a matter of trial and error.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #73
elenmirie
Tamara Petroff
Maidenhead, United Kingdom

Hi, thanks for previous comments. I've had another go at the fruit... I deleted my previous lights and started again applying some of the things that I've learned since. I can say at least that this version took 7.5 minutes to render and my last try took over 2 hours! (and I didn't know why.) So I must have learned something.

So here is Yet Another Bowl of Fruit v2... c & c welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fig23-high-res-small.jpg (88.4 KB, 35 views)

Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #74
danharing
TDK - 7/18/08

portfolio
Dan Haring
Lighting TD
Rhythm and Hues
USA

Send a message via MSN to danharing
haunted hallway attempt

I've been working on this to learn some mental ray and hopefully use as a reel piece. Any C+C more than welcome. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:32 AM   #75
mesutcapkin

portfolio
Mesut Capkin
3d
Gladbeck, Germany

1st try.. fruit bowl...

Hi.
So, this is the first pic I post on this forums. I thought, I should try the lighting challenges and start with the first one: the fruit bowl.

For the first attempt, my goal is to get a somehow balanced lighting... nothing dramatic but balanced. Materials are the first try, still a lot to do there...

So, this is the overall render:

This one shows the main light:

This one shows fill light (main-light colour):

This one shows the red one:

And the last one for the blue:

Cinema4D & MaxwellRender 1.1.

It would be great if I could get tipps and hints.

Thanks.
Mesut.

Last edited by mesutcapkin : 03-20-2007 at 04:38 AM.

reply share thread