reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #46
sandykoufax
Know-it-All

portfolio
Jeong-ho Kim
Freelancer
Seoul, Korea (South)

Thank you so much for you comment, Jeremy.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:44 AM   #47
doodlerboy
Frequenter
portfolio
Anthony Thomas
3D Generalist/Lighting and Rendering.
Seattle, United States

Send a message via AIM to doodlerboy Send a message via MSN to doodlerboy Send a message via Yahoo to doodlerboy
Under the boardwalk

How do I light this scene? How do I get the image to fade as it gets furthure back? No idea.

Anthony J. Thomas

Old 03-08-2007, 06:51 AM   #48
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

andystopps - Good start. So far it looks a little bright and very evenly lit.

Chrisdc - I don't know what "background only radiosity" is. It's off to a good start with the materials and textures. The lighting looks very frontal and could better define the forms if more came from the sides.

doodlerboy - Check your software's documentation or ask on the software's discussion forum for basics about how to do depth-fading and fog and so on. In terms of general approaches, I hope reading through the thread about that challenge and looking at people's tests and breakdowns and discussion of techniques will all be useful to you.

-jeremy

Old 03-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #49
Ash-o
AL-Harbi

portfolio
Ashraf Al HArbi
sport teacher
Muscat, Oman

Send a message via MSN to Ash-o
hi Jermy...

im try to fix the shadow and this is it..

i have to fix the fire but .... how???????????

Old 03-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #50
viskam
portfolio
Viskam Studio
free lancer
Colombo, Sri Lanka

Send a message via MSN to viskam Send a message via Yahoo to viskam
candle light

this is my first post in CG talks the site is really cool can learn a lot from the pro's this is what i did of with my knowladge using maya and photoshop

Old 03-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #51
viskam
portfolio
Viskam Studio
free lancer
Colombo, Sri Lanka

lighting chalanges

this is my first post in CG talks the site is really cool can learn a lot from the pro's i did this off with the knowladge i had in maya and photo shop

Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #52
elenmirie
Tamara Petroff
Maidenhead, United Kingdom

Yet another bowl of fruit...

Hi everyone...

I just started working through Jeremy's book, and have been reading through the old challenges- it's great, I've learned loads already! Thanks to all of you who are participating in this thread, and especially Jeremy.

Anyway, here's my bowl of fruit. I'm using Vue Infinite- that must be an odd thing to use; no one else in these challenges uses it, it seems. I'm a total noob and that's the only 3d software I've got. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

I've got lots of issues (some of them have to do with this scene ) but in particular, the shadow on the pear is driving me nuts. I'm not sure what to do to make it better without ruining the overall effect.

Cheers, and thanks for any feedback!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fruit-bowl4-small.jpg (83.5 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by elenmirie : 03-08-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #53
elenmirie
Tamara Petroff
Maidenhead, United Kingdom

Hi Viskam,

I love the Che Guevara pic! And the smoke rising in front of him makes a really nice composition.

Your candle flames look a bit like natural gas flames, though... can you fix that to make them look more like natural flame?

Seeing your work makes me want to do that challenge- just after I get over being obsessed with fruit.

Cheers!

Old 03-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #54
RobbieBaker
portfolio
Robbie Baker
Design Tech
Blacksburg, United States

Here is my try at the candle scene. I didn't get around to putting an image in the frame yet and didn't give much attention to the incense. I was mainly focused on getting the candle and flames right and the lighting from them. This was my first try at rendering in passes. I had four passes that I combined in photoshop (Shadow, Ambient Occlusion, Flames and Everything Else).

Last edited by RobbieBaker : 03-10-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: image wasn't displaying

Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #55
sandykoufax
Know-it-All

portfolio
Jeong-ho Kim
Freelancer
Seoul, Korea (South)

It is another scene rendered with maxwell render.

Render time is about 2hours.

No post processed except level adjustment.

and ashisa,

I like your burning coil(?) and smoke.

It's a really cool.

Last edited by sandykoufax : 03-11-2007 at 06:45 AM.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #56
viskam
portfolio
Viskam Studio
free lancer
Colombo, Sri Lanka

hi elenmirie

thankz mate for the comments regarding my work .... ayaiii ...i wanted the flames to look like gas flames cos i wanted to make the sean a bit ... different than than the real thing .... though i never achived my goal of realizam ... still ... i think for my knowladge leval what i did was good enough ..... yap me too i like che a lot and bob marley too .... thankzagain for the comment see ya bro ...

cheers

Old 03-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #57
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

ashisa & viskam - Flames get more realistic if you render them as a separate layer, so that way you can add or screen them over the rest of the scene, and they never make the background darker only brighter. You can also make a nice glow around the flames by screening blurred copies of the layer over the scene again. Candle flames are transparent in the lower part of the flame, look closely at some real ones, you want to make that bottom part transparent so it basically goes away at the bottom instead of looking solid.

ashisa - That could use a little more indirect or bounced light, at least a tiny bit of warm fill in the area around the candles.

viskam - There needs to be more shadows or occlusion where the candle bases meet the table for a solid sense of contact. I don't know what all the bright stuff is on the vase, if that is a reflection map or something else, but it doesn't look believable.

elenmirie - Good start. Some parts are over-lit and it'll need more bounce light eventually. Is that a problem with the shadow bias too high that's breaking the shadow on the pear? If not you could try adding some other models near the top of the pear, maybe inside it, to see if they can cast shadows.

sandykoufax - Great start! The part above water looks good, but is very flatly shaded. Objects like the hat and the posts should be made of nice gradients that define their shape. Underwater looks too clear, we need more murk or fog to fade with distance and some particles or DOF could help too if possible.

-jeremy

Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #58
viskam
portfolio
Viskam Studio
free lancer
Colombo, Sri Lanka

thankz

hi jeramy

thankz so much for the tips and tricks & pointing out the mistakes which i have done i'll try to do my best to correct them and use the tips and make out a good render .... many thankz again

Old 03-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #59
sandykoufax
Know-it-All

portfolio
Jeong-ho Kim
Freelancer
Seoul, Korea (South)

Thanks for advise, Jeremy.

It's a 2nd try of the same scene

Old 03-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #60
andystopps
Veteran

Andy Stopford
United Kingdom

I've done a bit more on this, working on the shaders mostly, though I've added a bounce light underneath the scene. I spent a fair bit of time on the grape shader set-up, messing about with sub-surface scattering and what-not. Unfortunately what looked pretty grapeish on the LCD monitors of the university workstation I was using, looks more like a pile of olives on my own CRT monitors. The peaches seem to have turned into tomatoes as well...
That's a handy tip about how to do do candle flames, Jeremy. Very timely since I am working on a project at the moment that includes a couple of candles. Talking of which yours are looking good, RobbieBaker.

reply share thread