On-Going Challenges

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2007   #31
Fruit Bowl Take #1

Here is the first round of my fruit bowl. Would love any C&C.

Old 02 February 2007   #32
@CourtneyCasper - That's a terrrific image! I wouldn't change much if I were you, overall the lighting is nicely balanced as-is. There's on hard-edged shadow on the plate that could be fixed. The saturation leaves me wondering: there are lots of places where the fruit is going gray, as it get darker it moves into a reduced saturation grayness, I wonder if there could be a warmer color in the bounce light from the plate or a little occlusion with a warmer dark color. Also, the background is very saturated and monochromatic, maybe working that down and maybe having it mix the hues and saturation up a little would add to the scene.

-jeremy

Old 02 February 2007   #33
hi all! ahh it's good to be able to post again, it's been 2 months since my last post. Anyway thanks jeremy for opening lighting challenge marathon. These are 2 different shots of the first lighting challenge that i have done about 5 months ago. I have put it in the first challenge forum but still no comment from anybody, so this is a chance for me to have comments on my renderings.

Shot #1 : Fruits in the dark

Shot #2 : Fruits & Fridge

well, i think that's it. cheers..

Old 02 February 2007   #34
fruit bowl

heres my try on the fruit bowl

tell me what you think

Old 03 March 2007   #35
neonbulbs - I love it! The "story" idea of the two images, one at night and one with the fridge open really shows a great level of control and ability to communicate with your lighting. They are both believable and on-target!

HDChris - Good start. Right now it looks underexposed. Even if you are trying for a "night time" look or something, there should still be some highlights or rims or kicks to bring out the contrast in the image.

-jeremy

Old 03 March 2007   #36
hi _ this is my try on candle challenge

ASH...

Old 03 March 2007   #37
Hello.
i never post my render :(

kitchen challenge :

Bottle collection

c&c are welcome

thx

Old 03 March 2007   #38
balou - The kitchen's off to a good start. There are some strange light leaks glowing from behind the counter and the left corner, and strange inverse-shadows behind the counter knobs, so I think something's strange with the GI. The vertical thing was supposed to be paper towels. Your bottle collection needs work. There's a lot of diffuse shading or something making the glass look frosty in places, but we aren't seeing through enough layers of glass to really see through several of the bottles at once. Try test-rendering with fewer bottles until you're sure you've nailed the glass shader.

ashisa - Good start. Try to make the shadow much softer, so you don't see the hard edge of that circle around the candle at all, make a bigger flame to motivate all that light, and put a little glow into the top of the candle to simulate translucent wax. Just some extra ambient light near the top of the candle can be all it takes to look like the flame is glowing through.

-jeremy

Old 03 March 2007   #39
Hey all. I am working on the fruit bowl. I figured I would get some feedback at this stage before I get too deep into this project. I know there are some artifacts and such and I still have to add the grapes but I am mainly looking for advice on the composition, lighting, and materials up to this point. Thanks for your time and honest feedback.

0xy

Old 03 March 2007   #40

Hello, all.

This is my try of candle scene with maxwell render.

The candle flame is worked in photoshop.

Thanks.

Old 03 March 2007   #41
sandykoufax - Nice scene. I like the background, and the overall lighting is good. The shadows look very hard-edged, and candle-light is usually softer shadows than that. The top part of the candles needs work. The texture should change for the wicks, and the top of glow of light through the translucent wax doesn't face off believably.

oxygencube - Good start. The shadows from the fruit could be softer, almost like the edges of the cookie. Some of the shaders still need work, especially getting some gloss and shininess to the apple.

-jeremy

Old 03 March 2007   #42
Hey all,

After reading the lighting challenges during months... I started working on the fruit bowl scene. I will keep working on it fixing some minor things like the leaf... adding more SSS...

The render was done using 3dsmax+vray and some photoshop tweaks. I have not use the vray's GI...

C&C wellcome...

Thanks...

Old 03 March 2007   #43
Tomas - Good start. There's something very strange about the shadows and occlusion in the scene. First, a lot of the shadow areas go too dark, diving all the way into blackness under the leaf of the apple, or on top of the reflective plate underneath a cherry. Then there's a white fringe, a bright edge right at the core of some of the shadows, you can see it along the bottom of the orange and where the bunch of grapes touch the plate especially, try to debug that issue.

-jeremy

Old 03 March 2007   #44
Although I've only just started this, I thought I'd post it since it's interesting to see these things develop. This is my first attempt at using Renderman Artist's Tools, and just for the sake of it I'll endeavour to use procedural textures as much as possible. So far I haven't figured out how to connect bump/displacement nodes into the graph, so if anyone can suggest any RAT tutorials anywhere I'd be glad to know. I can see from the work of CourtneyCaspar, Neonbulbs and Oxygencube that I've got a bit of catching up to do; great images, guys.

Old 03 March 2007   #45
Hello, thanks for keeping all the old challenges alive. Here is my work so far on the fruit bowl:

Rendered in Lightwave using several area light's and background only radiosity.

thanks,

Chris

Last edited by Chrisdc : 03 March 2007 at 12:09 AM. Reason: typo

reply share thread