Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2007
Revised fruit bowl

I have tidied up my original attempt at the fruit bowl. My first go at it can be found here.

http://www.gooddesign.com.au/Fruit_bowl_Project.jpg

This is the new one.

http://www.gooddesign.com.au/Fruit_bowl_2.jpg

Please believe me when I say the texture of the material that the bowl rests on is purely coincedence that it looks similar to Jeremy Birns.

I like the orange, grapes, the colour in the scene is a lot crisper, the cherries are cherryer.

Let me know what you think.

Buggsy

01 January 2007
Hi, well, until now I felt a little shy to share my opinion about other people work (because english is not my first language and I'0m new in this) but I think is nice to get an opinion from others, so I'll start to share my thoughts.

So buggsy take my words with a grain of salt.
Both are really nice images, the actual is much more reflec/spec and is an improvement imho.
The orange texture is better now, and the dof is good for me.

The cherrys are just fantastic but I don't think that match the rest of the image mood.

Well I will post an update, I change the grape texture, the apple and peach too.
I have to work with the leaf, is not finished yet.
I think that the frabric is not so good, maybe the next one I'll change it.

Sebastian
http://scarvajal.googlepages.com

01 January 2007

Background changed, and the leaf textured.

Let me know what you think!

Edit: Jeremy, I can give you a c4d file of this scene to add it to 3drender.com. Let me know if you want it.

Sebastian

Last edited by Meteoro : 01 January 2007 at 10:17 PM.

01 January 2007
buggsy - That's looking good! I think the highlight from the left makes me expect more of the light and shadows to come from that way too. Right now the shading on some places like the apple is brighter on the right, and the shadows are cast downwards. Maybe the highlight is too harsh in places, the cherries look somewhat like cough drops and the specularity map or reflectivity map (whatever's in the highlight on the apple) seems very high-contrast.

Moteroro - Nice scene! The sheen you're getting in some places looks good, defining the apple well. Some of the highlights seem a bit hyper, especially the ones on the bottom of the pear where the pear should be in shadow? I don't know what that shadow on those 3 grapes to the left is, but that looks strange. Rim lighting is nice, but in some places it goes too far, especially where it runs along both sides of those askdan fruits in the back.

Regarding the second one, the leaf texture is nice. I liked the old fabric better personally though. See if you can make the leaf look more translucent and get back the sheen on the apple like in the first image.

Sure, I'd be happy to host a C4D file (with just the models not the lighting of course) if you want to give me one. Send me a PM with its URL or PM me and I'll send an e-mail address.

-jeremy

02 February 2007
Hi I'm reading through your Lighting and Rendering book for a second time...Good stuff!! I thought I should implement some of the things I have learnt...starting with the good ol' Fruit Bowl.
I went with a classic still life painting style. I started by framing my shot, then lighting and then lots of fun with texturing...all Maya Proceeduals. I'm happy with the apple but the grapes were hard to get the translucence? correct.
Thanks for doing the book and the challanges they are great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg friutLit.jpg (71.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg finalFriut.jpg (75.5 KB, 213 views)

02 February 2007
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Meteoro: I think that the frabric is not so good, maybe the next one I'll change it.

What? Noo! The fabric is the most realistic part of the image!

/Z

02 February 2007
Question

1st and maybe the last try for this One ..

02 February 2007
My first try

Hope it's not too late. It already took so long for me to finish this.
(I'm thinking of fixing some area, and I just found
the front candle holder has no cast shadow...)
Any comments are welcome.

Thanks Jeremy and everyone at the original thread.
I really enjoyed and learened a lot from just reading it.

Maya(Mental ray), Aftereffects
Attached Images
File Type: jpg candles_final001.jpg (66.4 KB, 120 views)

02 February 2007
@CGmm - That's a lovely scene, thank you! (and I'm glad people are finally doing something other than just the fruit bowl in this thread!)

@SilentHell - That's nice, but I can't figure out what's going on with the table. It seems to be dotted with glowing dots that don't correspond to the candles or flames?

@jo_3d - Nice scene! The one on the right looks good, maybe the orange looks a little like paper mache instead of a real orange, but solid looking lighting overall.

-jeremy

02 February 2007
Smile Wine Bottel

Hi all

this is a first try to make Glass Matrial

Rindering on XSI 6 "4:30 Min" on BoXX Opteron Duo

02 February 2007
Talking

Dunno how "haunted" I can get it but... it's a hallway.....

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap : 02 February 2007 at 08:52 PM.

02 February 2007
The .obj imported into Carrara Pro 5, which i recently acquired. I had to smooth a couple of the bottles. The wall, window frame textures are mine, rest are Carrara shaders, most I had fun playing around with. Use caustics @ 20% and a glare effect. not exactly perfect, but i'm still learning this more advanced program. off to read the manual...heh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottle3cCopy.jpg (92.4 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by L33tace : 02 February 2007 at 12:00 AM.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: Moteroro - Nice scene! The sheen you're getting in some places looks good, defining the apple well. Some of the highlights seem a bit hyper, especially the ones on the bottom of the pear where the pear should be in shadow? I don't know what that shadow on those 3 grapes to the left is, but that looks strange. Rim lighting is nice, but in some places it goes too far, especially where it runs along both sides of those askdan fruits in the back.

Regarding the second one, the leaf texture is nice. I liked the old fabric better personally though. See if you can make the leaf look more translucent and get back the sheen on the apple like in the first image.

I agree with your comments. If I find some time to spend on it I'll post here the results

Originally Posted by MasterZap: What? Noo! The fabric is the most realistic part of the image!

I missed your comment, Lol, yeah I think is more reallistic too but I was not sure if it was nice.

Sebastian

02 February 2007
@L33tace - Good start with the bottles. For the "perfect" glass look, make sure you have things to see through the bottles and to reflect, then zoom in and do quicker renders with only 1 bottle visible, until you really have the glass shader working well, before you zoom out and show lots of bottles.

@BsBs - That wine bottle looks great. In terms of mastering glass, in a non-black environment it's what you see through it and what you see reflected in it that make-up a lot of the look, so maybe you should move it into the kitchen scene or something.

@MasterZap - The shading and bounce light on that skull looks terrific. I really like the solid look of the wood-plank floors, too, even if the textures do see to continue from one board to the next. On the lighting in the hallway I'm not really sure where it's going yet. I think one way to make a great leap forwards in lighting the hallway would be to do some research first, maybe search flickr or pbase for architectural reference pictures of corridors or hallways, and make something closely based on drawing inspiration from a real corridor or older building.

-jeremy

02 February 2007
Thanks for the comment and for the tip Jeremy.

reply share thread