Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2007

THREAD ALIVE

-The thread is now open, to have a chronological index of all the old challenges. Pls post your work here if you would like to receive comment on old lighting challenge scene !-

This thread was closed January 5, 2009. Please look through to see a lot of work people posted, based on previous challenges.

-jeremy

Last edited by jojo1975 : 04 April 2015 at 12:15 PM.

01 January 2007
More File Formats Wanted

If have a nice, clean version of some of the scenes imported into your own particular 3D software package, I'd like to host more file formats.

For example, if you've imported Challenge #1 into Softimage|XSI or CHallenge #2 into Cinema 4D, and your scene could make it easier for other people with your brand of software to get started with your challenge, I'd like to share it.

If you have a challenge scene imported into another file format which would be useful to a large number of people, then please clean out any textures or lights that you added, make sure the objects are grouped in a logical way, compress the file as .zip or .rar, and send it to me.

If you have a website, just post here with the URL where the new file can be downloaded. If you need other ways to send a file, PM me and I'll reply with an e-mail address or FTP address for you to use.

Thanks!

-jeremy

01 January 2007
Let me be the first...

Hi.. I did this first challenge after I bought the lighting and rendering. I thought the first challenge has closed already. That's y I didn't post it. Thanks for the chance that provids by jeremy... I took all the real texture of all the fruits. And few spots lights point lights and a area light. Raytracing shadow map has been used here.. The grapes has done of mentalray sss shader... C&C welcome...

01 January 2007
Great idea.
I've tried most challangest myself but due to time constraints I usualy don't finish them and hence don't like posting anything I know I'm not going to finish.
So here is an attempt to light the eye that I never posted. It was mostly done as a practice for inderect lighting setup and compositing via XSI's built in comp. This was the first pass on it and then life got in a way

Here is the composite tree for this: Comp Tree

Cheers!

01 January 2007
Just did this today, had dabbled at the challenges before, never had time to finish one. Then I got Digital Lighting and Rendering for christmas, which is teaching me lots. Heres the fruitbowl, and I think Ill do another tommorow. Done in Cinema 4D, post in Photoshop. Rendered in passes.

01 January 2007
Wow I couldnt even wait till tommorow. Well I guess technically its tommorow, but for me today hasnt even ended yet. Heres my go at the bottles challenge. Now Ill still have time for even another tommorow! Cinema 4D, multi pass, to Photoshop...
Whadya think?

01 January 2007
Taxman9 - Welcome! Just because there are several challenges available doesn't mean you have to dabble in all of them. If you pick one thing that you'd really like to make a "portfolio quality" scene with, then you can focus on that for a while really make something you'll be proud of.

ShadowM8 - That's a nice eye! If you're going for perfection (and who isn't?) see if you can nail that transition between the tearduct and the eyeball. Look at a real eye and instead of a black line between them you tend to get a more organic gradient from the pink to the white. Maybe more of a close-up wouldn't reveal the lack of eyebrows and such, too?

Liumiao19820823 - Good work! I think a few parts are a little "glowy" like where the grape is under the banana but it still looks bright. Nice shadows can really help define some of those shapes better. The grapes seem to get reflected in the plate, while the cherries and orange are not reflected in the plate, you might want to look into why that is.

-jeremy

01 January 2007
Yes your right, I really should slow down and really put some effort and attention into one of them and make something half-decent... But im off to Florida for a week and a half so nothing more for me for awhile..

01 January 2007
Smile

Hello every one this is my image
Thanks

01 January 2007
Taxman9 - Look forwards to seeing more when you get back.

Kain-Hazem - The texturing needs work, but you know that. In terms of lighting, I think the fruits need more shaping: some definition between a light area and a darker side. See how far you can get by lighting the whole scene with just 1 light, and adjust that light and its shadow to define the whole scene as well as possible. Then, after that, keep that first light as your key, and just add fill or bounce light to complete the scene, but make sure you really love your key by itself before you go on. You can post 2 images, the first showing just the key, if you want.

-jeremy

01 January 2007
Hi Mr. jeremy you are very nice man
this is my new image i hope it nice

01 January 2007
Here is a slightly updated version of my very late fruit bowl. I actually did post it a month or two ago on the original thread, but nobody saw it. I guess it should live here where it might actually be critiqued

-shawn

01 January 2007
YourDaftPunk - I like your image! That's nice work already. I'm glad we started this thread so that everyone would see new posts. The bright highlights on the screen-right side seem a bit overdone and distracting, but maybe that's just the framing. I just edited this comment so it didn't sound like I was suggesting too major an overhaul, but I think the sense of directionality (having just one clear key light) could make the lighting a little stronger and simpler in that case.

Kain-Hazem - That latest image is very flat and bright without much shaping to the fruits, maybe try fewer lights and see if you can make a more simple and clear image.

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 01 January 2007 at 06:55 AM.

01 January 2007
Fruit bowl

Thank for maintain open the old challenges.
I'm learning with the 1st one.

The Orange and grapes are procedural, all the rest is bitmap.
Tha fabric is a material downloaded from Maxon.

C&C as always are very welcome.

Sebastian
http://scarvajal.googlepages.com

01 January 2007
Meteoro -

Good start! See if you can get things like the leaf to look more translucent, maybe just letting some green light into its shadow and brightening the less-lit side would do that. Making the grapes translucent is harder, either change the shader or use a volume light emitting a little ambient.

-jeremy

reply share thread