reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #46
BlackFire86
Veteran
CH
Malaysia

Did you see something?

This is my 1st challenge.
All untextured and the ghost like material is from www.vray-materials.de (author:abarts)

Old 12-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #47
meanlebh
Veteran
portfolio
Brian Meanley
Lighting/Texture Artist
Hatchling Studios
Portsmouth, United States

@ACamacho: Nice work so far, I like the sense of moonlight coming in through the window. But I feel that It may be a little more convincing if there were some more contrast in the foreground to draw our eyes to that window even more. Also, under the stairs seems to get a little too much light in my opinion. Anyways, looking forward to updates. Nice work.

@Jeremy: Very nice work so far, I agree that it has that asylum type of feel to it (I like it) My only thought at this point is that the walls could use a little more texture (bump) to them for how dirty they are. Nothing much, just a few chips of paint, and maybe some damage around where the hole in the wall is. Anyways, again, very nice start.

@ slatr: I like the mood you have going, my only concern at this point is that there isn't quite enough bounce light in the room for how much light is coming in the window. I think that you can still retain that sense of mystery and still add some more light to it. Perhaps it could even be achieved with some carefully place rim lights to highlight the edges of some things such as the railings, upper stairs, and the upper parts of the archways. Nice start though, looking forward to it.

Alright, well I have to get back to work now (sorry I can't comment on more). But I can't wait to see how the rest of these shape up. And hopefully I'll get a chance to work on another update later on this week. Great work everyone.

-Brian

Old 12-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #48
ChrRambow
*gnaarf*

portfolio
Christian Rambow
architecture, product , character works
www.art-3d.com
Berlin, Germany

@ camacho ... this is coming along real nice ... it got the ambience of a cold and dry cellar (spelled right?)

@BlackFire86 ... the idea with a ghost ist wonderful. I like the green "slimey" look of your lighting a lot.

@meanlebh ... the textures and the mood is wonderful ... and i agree with Jeremy ... the shadows of the lightbulb-Omni light have to be much smoother. Maybe a very small yellow- greenish tint in the light.

some progress .... need to add more detail and rebuild/texture the lightbulb.
I used AO a lot for indirect shadows.

this version got no postwork ... just some small unsharp mask after rendering.

-
time is passing by...

Old 12-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #49
ChrRambow
*gnaarf*

portfolio
Christian Rambow
www.art-3d.com
Berlin, Germany

@jeremy ...Great... i like the cold mood you are going for ... but i miss a small amount of contrast in your lighting. Personally i would add some slightly yellow and blue tinted lights... with just a littlebit of illumination.

-
time is passing by...

Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #50
ACamacho
Conqueror of Tater Tots

portfolio
Angel Camacho
Lighting TD
Blue Sky Studios
Bethel, USA

Send a message via AIM to ACamacho Send a message via Yahoo to ACamacho
Quote:
@ACamacho: Nice work so far, I like the sense of moonlight coming in through the window. But I feel that It may be a little more convincing if there were some more contrast in the foreground to draw our eyes to that window even more. Also, under the stairs seems to get a little too much light in my opinion. Anyways, looking forward to updates. Nice work.

Your right. What I ended up doing is just brighting up the light in Shake with a zdepth to brighten up what was already there. Also lowered the overall brightness of the image. Here is WIP #003:

Alot of objects are still lambert shaded and will get to them. The noise in the image is because of the areaLights (low samples). But might add grain later on.

@ChrRambow:

That is looking ace man. Very nice. Right now the only issue I have is that the light switch on the wall and the eletrical cord don't seem to be giving any shadows on wall. Feels like its floating a little.

@BlackFire86:

I like that idea! Nice image. The haze/bloomy look is a little much IMO though. But looking nice so far.

@jeremybirn:

I love the mood and the colors so far! More grime and it could fit right in the silent hill atmosphere. Some suggestions I have is maybe adding some rims on the stair railing and posts from the bright light? And maybe a slight glow to the tile reflection of the strong light? (to mimic the glow on the main light source). Great image.

@meanlebh:

I like the intricate textures and everything looks really solid so far. I wonder if the walls would need more "gloss" to them? They are feeling a little like leather to me.

Great work guys!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #51
meanlebh
Veteran
portfolio
Brian Meanley
Lighting/Texture Artist
Hatchling Studios
Portsmouth, United States

Small update. Softened the shadows on the overhead lamp considerably as suggested, and added some slight volumetrics to the lamp as well, with a few other very minor tweaks here and there. Thanks for the comments and crits everyone. I'll see what I can do at some point about making those walls less leathery as well. More to come...

-Brian

Last edited by meanlebh : 12-05-2006 at 07:50 PM.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #52
ChrRambow
*gnaarf*

portfolio
Christian Rambow
www.art-3d.com
Berlin, Germany

Added some details ... and working on the concept.

-
time is passing by...

Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #53
Eomer41
lightwaver

portfolio
Matthew Lee
Portsmouth, USA

There are some nice pictures so far.

Here is my first try, with Lightwave there are 3 lights (2 point, 1 area). The only textures I used are procedurals on the wall. Specularity was turnded up for the steps, rail and pipes. Render with FPrime, and radiosoty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hallway1_0000.jpg (59.9 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by Eomer41 : 12-06-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #54
ACamacho
Conqueror of Tater Tots

portfolio
Angel Camacho
Lighting TD
Blue Sky Studios
Bethel, USA

Send a message via AIM to ACamacho Send a message via Yahoo to ACamacho
@ChrRambow: Again awesome mood! And nice touch with the chair and noose (sp?). Good narrative.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:26 AM   #55
arunurakkadan
Veteran

portfolio
ARUN.GEORGE URAKKADAN
Lighting artist
animation studios
Cochin, India

Send a message via Yahoo to arunurakkadan
haunted hallway

its my first try..i did,nt texture the bg.i have used default maya render...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hauntedhall.jpg (66.3 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by arunurakkadan : 12-06-2006 at 03:40 AM.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 AM   #56
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

arunurakkadan & Eomer41 - Welcome! Keep going!

ChrRambow - Great! One tiny area you might change is where the right side of the noose joins the corner of the banisters - that's a perfect tangency that seems like it weakens the noose in the composition. Maybe slide the noose or just slide the camera so the noose is over the white background with no other dark lines connecting to the side.

meanlebh - I said before, that's a great scene!

ACamacho - Wow! I love the richness of the colors you're building in there!

ChrRambow - Looking good! Maybe a little more shadowing or occlusion, under the boards leaning against the wall, places like that, would add to it.

-jeremy

Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #57
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

BlackFire86 - Nice ghost shader! See if you can figure out why the light is leaking behind the landing of the stairwell, and maybe see if you can smooth out the facets in the ghost geometry?

-jeremy

Old 12-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #58
dany_kurian
DANY
BUG
TVM, India

Hi

My 1st try ...

Old 12-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #59
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

dany_kurian -

That's really nice! In fact, it already even passes the "squint test" (by "squint test" I mean if you squint your eyes so you don't see it too clearly, it looks as if you could be looking at a photo of a real place in the overall colors and tones.) I think you need to work on your shadows, especially where the shadow of the thin board meets the floor and causes such a thick shadow. The amount of yellow light coming from behind us also seems strange, just because I don't know what the light source is supposed to be and because it causes a very bright highlight along the bevel by the edge of frame.

-jeremy

Old 12-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #60
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

I don't have anything impressive to post tonight. The green glowy look will probably come back in a few days, but I just was working on the hole in the wall, getting the model to not be straight along the left side, etc. This is a quick straight-up test render without any other passes beyond the main lights:

-jeremy

reply share thread