Lighting Challenge #6: Candle Light

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2006   #16
Oh, nice challenge! I'm cleaning it up for Lightwave/modo use. Shall I upload the LWO somewhere when I'm done?

I'm going to wait for my computer to get here, then get stuck in. The 733 MHz G4 I'm using now is just too dang slow. Oh well, it should get here this week.

Old 08 August 2006   #17
Hi all, I am new here on the forum, and this is my first challenge.I hope my english is not to bad . The image is made in blender internal render without AO, the shadows in the background look maybe odd but they look similar to the shadows cast by real candles.

Last edited by fulg0re : 08 August 2006 at 01:14 PM.

Old 08 August 2006   #18
Great challenge once again, and some really great starts so far, I am looking forward to being able to finally post some work in this one once again.

As I said, nice renders everyone, but I think one of the things that is looking just slightly off to me is the coloring of the candle light in most of these. It seems to me right now to be fairly whitish in color, when in reality candle light can be quite reddish....in my experience, even with indoor balanced film, it still appears quite orange/yellow rather than white. Anyways, just my 2 cents, but I really like some of the lighting that is going on here.

MasterZap, nice renders, however in your last one the DOF looks off to me, too great of a difference between the non focused and focused areas considering the actual distance that it is convering. Otherwise though, very nice starts.

Folgore, nice start. I would say that without the AO as you mentioned, your objects lose a great deal of connection with the table, try to add this in, or adjust your curent shadows to help give us some connection. Also, you are right about the shadows looking slightly off, try using some slightly softened shadow maps or soft raytraced shadows to help blend them a little bit better, I also feel that most of the shadows could be made to be a bit darker, rather than just upping the umbra, or coloring of the shadows, try to add some bounce lights to help lighten them up, this will aslo help to illuminate some of the pitch black areas of the unlit sides of your objects. And lastly the thing that looks the strangest is that the wicks of the candles are casting shadows on the back wall, this makes it appear as if the candles are not lit. Anyways, nice start, keep it up.

Nice job everyone.

-Brian

Last edited by meanlebh : 08 August 2006 at 01:26 PM.

Old 08 August 2006   #19
Revised render

Amended the frame and added a little more light

Old 08 August 2006   #20
Thumbs up

Frame is better.. but... still not as good as the rest.

Here's my problem - same as yours.

With little light... you hardly see nuttin'

With "more light"... it stops looking "candle lit".

I still don't have the perfect solution... yet.

Stay tuned...

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap : 08 August 2006 at 03:02 PM.

Old 08 August 2006   #21
Thanks for the feeback MrZap

The frame is mat gold material not wood. If I made it wood, it would not jump out as much. But as to whether it is acurately representing what a gold frame would be with the lights i have in there... then I think it probably does - I'm feeling it's the lighting I need to look to help convince you it's all candle lit... see what i mean?

i.e. my frame is not the same as yours so it won't look like yours.

also there's no glass, it's chrome/silver.

Old 08 August 2006   #22
oooops

posted twice by accident

Last edited by Seggy : 08 August 2006 at 07:56 PM.

Old 08 August 2006   #23
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Seggy: The frame is mat gold material not wood. If I made it wood, it would not jump out as much.

But as to whether it is acurately representing what a gold frame would be with the lights i have in there... then I think it probably does

I'm aware it's not intended to be wood.....

Right now, my eye says "glazed yellow plastic" about it. Are your reflections gold colored? For a gold look, it should reflect a gold color (which I'd say is a hair more orange than the color you are using) and have basically no diffuse component.

But gold is difficult! There is a reason I made my metal parts more coppery, it's a much easier color. I have a suspicion gold actually does something spectrally w. light which isn't really well representable in RGB.

Quote: - I'm feeling it's the lighting I need to look to help convince you it's all candle lit... see what i mean?

This is indeed tricky... I have the similar problem that it either looks "overlit" or "too dark" and it's hard to nail the middle-ground "candle lit".

Quote: also there's no glass, it's chrome/silver.

I noticed that when I tried to copy your cool candle holders and actually made them glass, which wasn't at all the look you had..... I really liked your silver ones.

/Z

Old 08 August 2006   #24
MasterZap, as usual, great great stuff! From the number of renders you posted, I can tell you are really having fun with this image!!!

I hope to get to work in this one soon, I am horribly busy right now, but can't wait to get my hands on this challenge.

www.silviapalara.com

Old 08 August 2006   #25
Talking

Jeremys challanges are great testing material. Perfect for surface- and light-shader code.

/Z

Old 08 August 2006   #26
Code? What is this "code" you speak of, Master Zap?

The last time I saw code I was trying to write a "Zork" game in Basic on my dad's TRS-80.

Man, if these programs didn't have GUI's, I'd have a different job .

Anyway, my next post'll have an image instead of my silly blather.

I may try to change the palette up a bit, after first solving the problems with my first pass. I'm seeing lots of wood and dark smoky-ness. Maybe a stainless steel table, or stone...But that's after fixing the lighting.

Old 08 August 2006   #27
Making progress

Here's a new version... with more subdued lighting, i think it's moving in the right direction.
Need to sort out those flames!

Old 08 August 2006   #28
nice one seggy! I really like the glowing ember and the porcelain dish. Something about the gold candle holders still seems slightly off to me, but they are definitely headed in the right direction.

Also the candles seem a little too smooth and perfect to be wax, makes them look a little more like plastic.

Anyways, great updates everyone.

-Brian

Old 08 August 2006   #29
Im giving it a try =)

Greetings to you all =) Well here's my little contribution. I made this with 3DSMax, started at 6PM with texturing and just finished my first try at 4h10AM lol. So I guess Im off to bed now =P Any comments are more then welcome. Good luck to you all

http://www.gdelescazes.free.fr/cand...oomed_frame.jpg

*needs sleep, hands shaking*

Old 08 August 2006   #30
Talking

Excuse me for double posting :/ hadnt figured out how to post an image.

reply share thread