japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

Talking

Hey, I'm new here, I was just curious when this challenge is over. Sorry if I missed a post on it. Looks like a lot of fun! Can't wait to start

Old 06-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #62
royterrrr
Expert

portfolio
Papillon Papillon
Lighting & Environment Artist
Square Enix
Montreal, Canada

hello guys.

I had diificulty acheiving the water surface look ( i wanted to have similar mercury reflection, becose that what you see when you'r underwater ).

I tried dielectric, but it was weird, so turned to DGS (specular).

but i wanted it to have that look before adding the objects, and textures.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #63
JeffPatton
I can count to potato!

portfolio
Jeff Patton
Freelance Digital Artist
Freelance Artist
Lexington, USA

Thanks Zap! I started not to post it since it was a rather rushed image. Nice work on your examples and thanks for taking the time to explain the physics of it all.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #64
lotaH
Toca Raul!!!

portfolio
Diego Schmidt
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to lotaH
I do not obtain the scene… How I make?

Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 AM   #65
KurtS
Know-it-All

portfolio
Kurt Singstad
world leader
Oslo, Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wade
Here is my first wip entry. Alot of texture work to do, and it needs to be more murky etc.

my favorite, so far...! Love the light from somewhere distant behind the scene.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:57 AM   #66
ShadowM8
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Serguei Kalentchouk
Technical Director
DreamWorks Animation
Los Angeles, USA

Wow stunning work guys!
I decided to give this a try tonight before I head of for a weeks vacation. Didn't get too far but kinda set out the look I would like to go for. Any comments and critique is highly appreciated.
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Underwater_WIP01.jpg (25.0 KB, 1723 views)

Old 06-22-2006, 04:16 AM   #67
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

@ jeffpaton - Amazing! That's a great scene! I love the contrast and level of definition, it really gives you something to look at, with a strong figure/ground breakup that keeps your eye busy tracing the key contours. (I really don't like the lower right hand corner, though. Anything else: going to silhouette (worth a try!), dappled light and texture, falling out of focus, even a white area if it really appeared to glow into the murk or be at the base of a beam of light, would seem better than ending such an amazing work of art on a weaker note.)

@ Dan Wade - Great! Like Creature From The Black Lagoon, really murky in a mysterious sense. I wonder if the places where bright light breaks into the water could be broken up more instead of all being in that elongated area beyond the boat?

@ Sherif.Nagib - Nice start! It sounds like you already have a lot to work on. Maybe you can make another copy of the grass so it doesn't stop so suddenly on the right? One way to do the murk would be to render a separate pass just based on the distance from the camera to the nearest surface, such as to the ground or the water surface, then use that pass as a mask for the color shift or distortion that makes your water look.

@ kevb3d - Nice, the textures and the dappled look is starting to work!

@ arcus - Great start! Very sharp, but somehow looks like a clean tropic dive. The foreground is definately too blank though - can you do some texture, another copy of the plants, some irregular light beams or caustics?

@ neuromancer1978 - That's coming out great! In the foreground, it looks like it could use a little environment map and maybe a little fill light. I'm looking at the dark side of the closest fish and also some of the plants, and in places where you'd expect the fish to be a bit reflective or the plants to be a bit translucent or otherwise for there to be some shading variation instead I see a flat uniform tone. In the background, the murk is looking really good. I wonder if the BG could fall a little out of focus, or if there could be some kind of slight distortion based on distance?

@ japetus - There is no deadline, and you can do any challenge at any time and post your work. The next challenge will come on-line right around SIGGRAPH, so this will be the top, most visited thread until then.

@ royterr - Nice! Especially the top one because it has a little variety to it. You might need to copy the grass out to cover more ground with that camera position.

@ lotaH - Models are available for download here: http://www.3drender.com/challenges/

-jeremy

Old 06-22-2006, 04:36 AM   #68
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

@ ShadowM8 - Wow, you follow-up your modeling work with some great color and light! The water surface looks like it could use a little displacement or variation right where it hits the edges of the boat and dock. It looks very flat there, it's a high-contrast edge, and the rest of the surface looks like it has some waves on it.

-jeremy

Old 06-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #69
neuromancer1978
RenderMan Junkie

portfolio
Ted Gocek
Madison, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybirn

@ neuromancer1978 - That's coming out great! In the foreground, it looks like it could use a little environment map and maybe a little fill light. I'm looking at the dark side of the closest fish and also some of the plants, and in places where you'd expect the fish to be a bit reflective or the plants to be a bit translucent or otherwise for there to be some shading variation instead I see a flat uniform tone. In the background, the murk is looking really good. I wonder if the BG could fall a little out of focus, or if there could be some kind of slight distortion based on distance?

Ah yes good call. Right now I am doing some DOF tests, and WOW! Since I really haven't done too much in the way of totally completed scenes, or shots, I kind of sometimes forget that DOF can really bring your image out.
As for the shaders, yeah after looking it at, there isn't too much in the way of variation in the grassy objects. As for the translucent fish, I had to laugh because I was watching the Finding Nemo DVD extras today and they mentioned the look of fish as being "gummy" so seeing you post the exact same idea struck me as funny - but very valid. Yes the fish look too "solid".

Working on it. Thanks for the tips!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #70
BarberofCivil
Veteran

portfolio
Trevor Quayle
Engineer
Waterloo, Canada

Some good work here so far. This one is tough as it's hard to get quick test renders with the underwater effects.

My first official try at it:

Old 06-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #71
lotaH
Toca Raul!!!

portfolio
Diego Schmidt
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to lotaH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybirn
@ lotaH - Models are available for download here: http://www.3drender.com/challenges/

-jeremy

It does not open, here!

Old 06-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #72
BarberofCivil
Veteran

portfolio
Trevor Quayle
Engineer
Waterloo, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotaH
It does not open, here!

I've had thatproblem too. Try: http://3drender.com/challenges/

Old 06-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #73
jorust
My brain hurts!

portfolio
Jan-Ove Rust
CG Illustrator
Aalesund, Norway

Lots of great entrys so far. I see that many of you go for a darker "muddy" look.

Being from Norway, not famous for it's coral-reefs, I think I'm going to do this with a Norwegian mood.
Also moving this project over to XSI...

Old 06-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #74
purpp
Veteran

Talking my first attempt in lighting chalange

hello guys.
This is my first attempt. Trying to fix the aliasing problem on the weeds. Will post the update later this week
Please comment
Thanks

Old 06-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #75
BarberofCivil
Veteran

portfolio
Trevor Quayle
Engineer
Waterloo, Canada

A couple more runs. Changed the colour of the murkiness and tried a different perspective.

reply share thread