Lighting Challenge #5: Under The Boardwalk

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2006   #31
I went with the tropical feel for this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nonemohere.jpg (93.4 KB, 2534 views)

Old 06 June 2006   #32
Think I am going to try this one

Hey Jeremy,

This seems like a great project. Can we add our own props? I had a neat idea for this project that I would like to try out.

BTW if any of you ever have a chance to take a class with Jeremy, DO! He is a great teacher. I was lucky enought to have a class with him two semesters ago. He will make you look at the world around you in a whole new way.....

Hopefully I will post something in the next few days...

Late,

Chris Logan
aka: mayadesigner
http://www.mayadesigner.com
and
http://www.karmicshort.com
Check out Karmic Short, we are currently in full swing with Pre-Production for a 1 Year Student Run Senior Collaborative at the Academy of Arts University San Francisco.

Old 06 June 2006   #33
Midnightly Surprise

I want to render some unhappy fish distracted from his sleep by a diver. Actually, this is not a nice place because people use to throw their waste in here. So god knows what's the diver doing here at this time of the day at that uncanny place.

The particles are noise textures on several planes orthographic to the camera but I am not really satisfied with the solution. Does anybody have a better idea to render the dirt particles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myUnderwater3.jpg (51.5 KB, 2051 views)

Old 06 June 2006   #34
Crazy visual that you guys demonstrated there, thanks for explaining it. Also odd how the viscosity in the liquid seems to pull in the dark reds from the background in that first picture. Lots to learn in this one

Old 06 June 2006   #35
Originally Posted by kary: Also odd how the viscosity in the liquid seems to pull in the dark reds from the background in that first picture. Lots to learn in this one

The ground underneath the water was wood-grain counter-top, and the background above/behind it was a white cabinet, so you can see the warm wood-colored area where the ground below is reflected. There is some optical dispersion (chromatic aberration) in the water refraction too, which gives some glints of different colors around the edges of some things, but the big color shift is just the reflected floor color vs. the background color.

-jeremy

Old 06 June 2006   #36
@ MT-Cup - Great start! It's wonderful what a good color scheme can do for a scene.

@ Coriolat - I guess that could work, although light from the surface filtering through the dirt and illuminating the particle clouds could better call attention to the dirtiness of the water. Maybe you could start with some general clouds of particles for the dirt, then add some "hero" junk that's really textured and has a shape to look like real garbage and floating debris? Sounds like an interesting project!

-jeremy

Old 06 June 2006   #37
Talking

Originally Posted by jeremybirn: Master Zap's wonderful explaination almost tempted me to go swimming today. But here some are reference shots I just cooked up in my kitchen, using a green spatula handle stuck into the carafe of a Mr. Coffee:

Cute pics

You could even go one step further and add a small piece of red tape around the spatula just where it breaks the surface... you'll see that it is this very spot you see "above the magial line".

I hope I didn't ruin the layout of your challenge here by pointing out these kind of effects early, and you were perhaps planning on letting people do a bunch of "wrong" renders, then jump in and go "a-hah!"... sorry if I spoiled the suprise

Also, I'm all for "artistic" interpretations, so don't let this observation stop anyone from posting. The thread kinda died

/Z

Old 06 June 2006   #38
Thank you for posting 3ds files this time !!

I'm in.

Old 06 June 2006   #39
You know MasterZap,

I was doing some experiments with Mental Ray, and guess what? I saw that same effect rendered by MR! And, thanks to your explanation, now I even know why.

www.silviapalara.com

Old 06 June 2006   #40
Whew!

THis is a tough one, be gentle

Water giving me fits

Need to go back and texture boat, rock, fish ect..

Old 06 June 2006   #41
Hey all! I am signed up to take a "Digital Lighting" class in the fall so I figured this is the best way to get a jump start. Jeremy, I just got your book in the mail. I am going to give the book a read and then give this a shot. Thanks for posting these challanges!

0xy

Old 06 June 2006   #42
Yes, it is a tough challenge! It seems that I can either get caustics or volumetric effects, but not both. So far I haven't come up with something I feel like showing in public :(

www.silviapalara.com

Old 06 June 2006   #43
Hi I thought I would hop in with this one. This is the first render. I was going for a lake effect that is a lil murky. The caustic map needs a lil work and I am trying to figure out how to get more of the ray effect with the volume light. This was done with 3dsmax 8 and mental ray.

Last edited by sethwolford : 06 June 2006 at 07:26 AM.

Old 06 June 2006   #44
Talking

Silvia, what volumetrics are you using?

Maybe you can get them both using passes, i.e. render caustics in one, volumetrics in one, and comp 'em?

Here's a slightly more tropical variant. I moved some stuff around, because I wanted the worm on the hook in frame, and it was difficult to get it in frame w/o getting an angle that actually showed the "edge" of the water (where the model ended)

I plan to move the "floater" for the fishing rod (whats the enligsh word) a bit and the worm more, such that the floater is smack dab in the center of the "puddle of visibility" and the worm RIGHT by the camera. Squealing. LOL

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap : 06 June 2006 at 06:55 PM.

Old 06 June 2006   #45
Finally I have started to do some serious work on these lighting challenges. This is a WIP of the scene, done in Pixie through Maya. There is a lot of work to be done, mostly shader work, but I think my lighting is almost done. Also I am not going to show the water surface mostly because I cannot seem to figure out how to do ray tracing in Renderman (the Liquid plugin is not very easy to master). Aside from the obvious I think it looks ok.

reply share thread