Lighting Challenge #4: Bottle Collection

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2006   #31
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: Also make sure you have enough trace depth! The number of refraction steps (in the shader, and in your render settings) needs to be at least 6 or 8 in a scene like this. It defaults to just 1 or 2 in most software, so fix it in the shader and render settings. For shadows, also check the number of steps or rays in the light, to make sure you can see the shadows through the refractive glass.

-jeremy

also, (in maya) I had to manually turn on "visible in refractions" and "visible in reflections" in the render stats tab of each bottle....so I'm not sure if that was just the way my settings default to for some odd reason or if this is is turned off in the downloaded scene.

Game Assets Thread

Personal Site

Last edited by itsallgoode9 : 05 May 2006 at 10:23 AM.

Old 05 May 2006   #32
Lighting challenge 4

thanks jermy for one more nice challenge, i m going to start work on this n try to put some good woks.

Old 05 May 2006   #33
I'm still having some problems with the glass material. I'm still not good with refraction setup. Gettin kinda fedup when i see something i don't like after a 10 - 20mins render.
I'm gonna treat the bottles as opaque to check out their interaction with the environmental lighting for the time being.

Heres my trial run...

Last edited by sapienz : 05 May 2006 at 01:20 AM.

Old 05 May 2006   #34
Originally Posted by sapienz: I'm still having some problems with the glass material. I'm still not good with refraction setup. Gettin kinda fedup when i see something i don't like after a 10 - 20mins render...

I like your comp and your lighting so far! You said you are using scanline Max render which is taking 10-20 minutes.....I'm guessing from your times, that you are using advanced lighting w/ light tracer or radiosity with that? If that's the case, have you tried Mental Ray? (I just recently switched over to Max from Maya about 8 months ago) so i'm not an expert by any stretch of the immagination, but from my rendering experiences in Max, a scene with opaque surfaces, such as yours has now, is quite a bit faster using MR rather than the scanline render. So if that's the case, you might look into trying Mental Ray......and if you don't know MR, it will take a couple days of frustration to learn, but in the end I think you'll be happy that you struggled through it!

-Birn, not 100% sure how these challenges work so if you are supposed to be the one/main guy giving the crits/suggestions just tell me and I'll shutup haha. I'm working on one too, so it'll be in here soon hopefully!

Game Assets Thread

Personal Site

Old 05 May 2006   #35
I tried using a dome light setup for the scene along with some lights at certain key positions to ensure the contrast in the scene.
I didn't use Mental Ray, LightTracer or Radiosity but I did turn on the raytrace global antialiaser and added a blur offset for nicer reflection... so that will acount for the longer rendering
Come to think of it, i shld have turned those off while i was still making admenments to the scene...
Silly me

Old 05 May 2006   #36
Max - Good start. I agree with Justin that you could try using MR if you got a free license of it with Max, you ought to be able to find some software solutions that lets you develop the look of reflective, refractive glass bottles.

I appreciate everyone who posts feedback, it's not my job to monopolize that. I'm setting up a scene myself, that should render tonight and I'll post a version tomorrow hopefully.

-jeremy

Old 05 May 2006   #37
Whew! OBJ fun

Ok, I have learned alot about surface and part selection and object format conversion recently.

To summarize, Lightwave 7.5d does not read in obj with the surfaces/parts separated properly. I found that opening in Messiah first then saving as a LWO object is part of the solution.

If I do this first, then all the different items are visible for individual surfacing. However.. and this is something I am still testing.. if we have to copy and flip to set up exit refraction for air then that will still need to be done.

Jeremy gave us physically correct objects. However, based on the reading I have done, Lightwave does not "know" to bend the light ray again when it exits the glass.

I will be glad to post the Messiah "converted" version for anyone that has Lightwave.

ALSO, we can use the stats panel to manually select the parts/bottles to subpatch ect..

Let me know if I need to post for anyone.

Brian

Old 05 May 2006   #38
caustics or not..

HI Jeremy - can't wait to see your results !
i'm working on the scene just to get some experience with caustics..
On my first test i'm getting weird caustics behaviour with filled bottles
(filled by me) so i need time to tweak on.
I'll post something tomorrow -

-e

Old 05 May 2006   #39
Originally Posted by herbertagudera: whoaw..master zap..very nice image you got there.

okay, heres my first take on the challenge. so far the shader works on some of the bottles. i only used one shader for all of them. when i come back tomorrow,hopefully i could texture each one of them right.
the lighting i think needs more tweaking. i used maya software render for this image. its a club scene.

Nice, you definately got that "club" feel. The red and blue light is working. You might even be able to stick with the bottles all having the same shader. The panel of light from underneath could be more convincing, though. I'd like to see more of a gradient from the white surface running up the window trim, from bright right above the white panel fading to dark a foot or so above. Most of the window trim could probably go darker, when you are away from the light. The glass bottles could also use some white near the base - maybe from a rectangular volume light scaled to include just the lower parts of the bottles, with ambient or other illumination in a gradient, and also white reflecting on the glass.

-jeremy

Old 05 May 2006   #40
update from slatr

Here is an updated image. I still need to go back and subdivide some of the bottles and work on the window frame surfacing. Also, more refraction testing is needed. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Old 05 May 2006   #41
slatr, that background is a bit too blurry, for me it doesn't look right for it to have a depth of field effect on it.

It's a very good texture that you've chosen though. A nice soft blue light going through the window and casting soft shadows would really look good I think. Good job.

Old 05 May 2006   #42
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: Nice, you definately got that "club" feel. The red and blue light is working. You might even be able to stick with the bottles all having the same shader. The panel of light from underneath could be more convincing, though. I'd like to see more of a gradient from the white surface running up the window trim, from bright right above the white panel fading to dark a foot or so above. Most of the window trim could probably go darker, when you are away from the light. The glass bottles could also use some white near the base - maybe from a rectangular volume light scaled to include just the lower parts of the bottles, with ambient or other illumination in a gradient, and also white reflecting on the glass.

-jeremy

thanks jeremy. okay heres an update. i made the window trim to a chrome. i dont know how (or if it is really do-able) to blur the reflection in maya alone. comments are very much welcome.thanks!

visit my
Lighting & Rendering Blog

Old 05 May 2006   #43
Here's mine...heheh I couldn't resist doing a Sin City style!

I've been working on a proper scene, so I'll post that one later.

Old 05 May 2006   #44
Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain: Here's mine...heheh I couldn't resist doing a Sin City style!

I've been working on a proper scene, so I'll post that one later.

Ha! Ha! That rocks! That one's going into the gallery.

Looking forwards to seeing your other entries.

-jeremy

Old 05 May 2006   #45
hamburgertrain, that is so cool man..looking forward for your next image man..

okay, i made some few fixes..i rendered a few versions too..

version 03
version 03-a

i kinda like this version. comments are very much welcome and appreciated.

version 03-b

visit my
Lighting & Rendering Blog

reply share thread