Lighting Challenge #3: Hairy Hare

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2006
Nice oddity!

Looks like you could reach out and try to touch your rabbit and it would run away

04 April 2006
Hello,

here is an update of my bunny [img]images/icons/icon7.gif[/img]...
I have worked on general colors and fur.

Marcus

04 April 2006
The fur strands are too long and too fluffy. Hare's have short, coarse fur. I think you need sharper colour and tonal variety in the fur as well.

Last edited by oDDity : 04 April 2006 at 08:13 PM.

04 April 2006
Arcus,

It would be nice to see the fur detail sharpened up and remove those really bright grasses or dull them down a bit so more focus is on the rabbit.

Oditty,

Great job.

the only suggestion is try and remove the bent grass. I think there is a setting in SAS for that. it's nice for a few, but there are too many like that.

04 April 2006
Preface: I haven't done much with hair before. I've looked at the max demo material, but haven't done much more then press render on the samples

I was surprised when you get past the oddities of the interface (shave's on top of max is bit different) it was fun -- I'm aching for a faster computer, but fun. I missed pretty badly on my first attempt here, but I'm going to keep plugging away.

---

Stones in the back are out of scale with the rabbit, grass needs to have a lot more colour variation in it, rabbit hair is to long, rabbit hair colour is a bit mucked up, and there are some funky things going on with the lights atm (ironic… for a lighting challenge?), but all and all not a bad evening considering I'm pretty new to this.

Last edited by kary : 04 April 2006 at 05:19 AM.

04 April 2006
Great entries everybody, very impressive.
I took a break during the holidays and started applying the fur to the rabbit itself. Now fighting with the combing tools in XSI hasn't been easy as it's pretty much a manual strand by strand process, so hopefully I'll have something decent on the bunny soon enough.

04 April 2006
Here is my update, cant get good lighting and shading. I dont know whats going on. It looks a little better than the last. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by oDDity: Done in lightwave with sasquatch.

That's great! When I first saw that one here, I thought "the game is afoot."

The fur colors look terrific, and the eye looks very eye-like as well with a nice reflection. If there are things to improve, the rabbit's ears could look more like translucent skin if places where they are going black were more pink. Also, having the horizon clipping in and out along the top edge doesn't really do anything for me, I'd rather push in and skip the horizon, or else move the camera down and in so the horizon comes about a third of the way down the shot.

The grass is off to a good start as well. I like the overall colors and design of the grass. Besides what others said, the white flowers look a bit too white, lacking in texture or shading in places, and the depth of field doesn't look photographic. Again, really nice work! Show us more!

-jeremy

04 April 2006
delpadre -

That's a nice, interesting image, but I'm worried about whether the shadows are working. Can you post an image with the rabbit lit by just a spot light from above, to show how the rabbit and its fur cast shadows onto the fur and grass?

-jeremy

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: That's great! When I first saw that one here, I thought "the game is afoot."

The fur colors look terrific, and the eye looks very eye-like as well with a nice reflection. If there are things to improve, the rabbit's ears could look more like translucent skin if places where they are going black were more pink. Also, having the horizon clipping in and out along the top edge doesn't really do anything for me, I'd rather push in and skip the horizon, or else move the camera down and in so the horizon comes about a third of the way down the shot.

The grass is off to a good start as well. I like the overall colors and design of the grass. Besides what others said, the white flowers look a bit too white, lacking in texture or shading in places, and the depth of field doesn't look photographic. Again, really nice work! Show us more!

-jeremy

Those are fair comments. It's all about how much time I was prepared to put into it I suppose.
I felt the important parts of this render were the quality of light and the fur, and those things I'm happy with and can't really improve much. The rest is just frippery. So yeah, I could have modeled the flowers instead of using a disc with a daisy pasted on, etc, and spent time setting up real DOF instead of fakng it in PS, but once I get the important stuff sorted out, I tend to get lazy and throw the reat together as quickly as I can)
Still, this is the first fur I've ever done, and I'm glad to have used this opportunity to aquaint myself with it. I've got the buzz for it now and am already doing a wolf)

A few quick tweaks in PS can fix a few things at least..

Last edited by oDDity : 04 April 2006 at 12:11 PM.

04 April 2006

i moved the spot I was using behind the camera above the rabbit. Any help or comments would be great. I am using the follwing settings:

Intensity 224
Decay Rate: Quadratic
Cone Angle 110
Penumbra Angle 10
Dropoff 10

Depth Map Shadows
Reolution 1024
Use Mod Dist on
Use Auto Focus Off
Focus 90
Filter Size 7
Bias .174
Fog Shadow Intensity 5
Fog Shadow Samples 20
Disk Based Dmaps Off
Use Single Dmap on

04 April 2006
So this is in Maya? Did you add fur shading/shadow attributes to the spot light? Are they set for shadow maps?

-j

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: So this is in Maya? Did you add fur shading/shadow attributes to the spot light? Are they set for shadow maps?

-j

Yes its Maya and I have the defualt fur shading attributes added to that spot light, they are set to auto self shadow.

04 April 2006
Smile

Originally Posted by jeremybirn: So this is in Maya? Did you add fur shading/shadow attributes to the spot light? Are they set for shadow maps?

-j

Hey I just pre-ordered your book at Amazon, it looks great! Cant wait to get it. Good luck with it.

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by delpadre: Yes its Maya and I have the defualt fur shading attributes added to that spot light, they are set to auto self shadow.

If fur shading/shadowing is set for auto-shade (the fake tip to base darkening) instead of shadow maps, then that's the problem.

-jeremy

reply share thread