Lighting Challenge #2 WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2006
Good start.

The light coming from near the window doesn't look like moonlight yet. The shadows all spread out as if it were a light coming from just a few feet outside the window.

That left side hall looks as if it needs bounce light. It's all black next to where the light is coming from.

Maybe putting something outside the window like a sky or background of some kind would be good, or adding glass and putting a gleam to less us know there is a window there, or else putting more rim light on the windowframe, just so we can tell where the light is supposed to be coming from.

The reflections on the trash can look a little too much, especially when nothing else in the scene looks at all shiny.

The bottle clearly looks empty now, maybe put something in it or make it less transparent?

-jeremy

02 February 2006
thanks for the help.

i will try it.

02 February 2006
Lighting Challenge #2:ToddD

I chose script 2. I thought some overexposure along with that "just woke up" blur would convey the feeling of a not quite recovered Nick. Also opted for a dark kitchen so I could attempt to use the light to guide the viewer toward the bottle. All effects except for the double vision are straight from Mental Ray(GI only no FG yet)Glare camera effect in mRay for the overexposure. Used PS to create the ghosted blurry bits.

Todd

My DigitalTutors

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door

Last edited by ToddD : 02 February 2006 at 02:55 AM.

02 February 2006
Heh, it is certainly good for the point of view of someone hungover. I'll pass on something that Jeremy commented on mine, the bottle shouldn't be empty Although I just hadn't gotten around to it yet, so maybe you haven't either. Where is this glare effect? I haven't heard about it before, or are you using XSI or something?

02 February 2006
"Submitting for script number 1: romantic moonlit evening."

You've certainly got a nice "kitchen at night" look going. I don't know about the "moonlit" or "romantic" thing, this almost seems more like a good starting point for script #4 where we are in the kitchen but worried if a killer might be sneaking up behind us. The light coming in from behind us certainly calls our attention to think about how much open space there is around our back.

The very low camera angle to the floor makes the room look huge, which it should, but doesn't seem like a romantic comedy type camera angle, unless the actress were about to walk in the foreground and they needed a shot of her butt.

I seriously think you could play-up the scary shadows on the walls a bit more and call it an entry for script #4. For #1 the moonlight should be inviting, choose either blue or yellow but go somewhere with it color-wise, and things should glisten and sparkle instead of being drab and gray and grainy.

-jeremy

02 February 2006
Thanks man, yeah I need to fill that bottle good point!

I'm using 3DS Max. Glare is a camera shader. I add it to the camera in the render dialogue, then drag an instance to the material editor where I can then adjust the amount of glare etc.
My DigitalTutors

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door

02 February 2006
The first thing I noticed was a lack of shadows around the base of the chairs and table where they sit on the floor. This leaves everything looking like it's sort of floating.

02 February 2006
Smile Lighting Challenge #2 : as07

hi all this is my first try, still many things to fix tho, and still need to render in higher setting and resolution, i will send the update version of this kitchen asap, this kitchen using complementary color as warm and cool in one room together kinda like christmas nights^^ style , anyway hope you like it c&c really welcome thanks
rendered in 3dsmax with help of ao (no GI or radiosity, etc)

02 February 2006
nice work Andre
i like the orange/blue christmas style lighting a lot
one thing that could be worked on though is the obvious tiling texture on the furniture.

cheers

02 February 2006
If you have Maya7, render layers seem the way to go
Comp it together in PS/etc afterwards for ultimate tweakability

02 February 2006
Beautiful job! Have a cartoon look!

I like the mix of color temperature.

But have much light... I think a litle bit of drakness on the up area wall will be cool and less multiplier in the hot light the moonshine will appear more.

02 February 2006
hi!

this was the first script fragment right?
the light was awesome! i like it!
still something need to be fixed, especially the texture on the upper right cabinet. hope u got my point
~duh! output bhs inggrisku amburadul! ~

02 February 2006
Looks great!

Maybe the warm light on the left side and the light on the right wall could both be brought down. I know you're thinking that indoor lights should be much brighter than the moonlight, but I don't think romantic films follow those laws of physics.

Background is perfect for a "Sleepless in Seattle" type thing.

Edit: Maybe too many things are reflective, especially the paper towels and the trash look very reflective.

-jeremy

02 February 2006
@digital_me, thankyou very-very-very much!
@Synthesizer, my first thaught was... it's gonna be some funny/happy/peacefull/cheerfull scene... or something like that.
sjmcc, i'll fix that ASAP.

thanks for all the comment!
-chris-

02 February 2006
Lighting Challenge #2: Sphere♥

Decided to have a go at script #1 this morning. Meg's point of view as she first sees the kitchen from the hallway. Sorry, basic texturing only on a few objects, I'm lazy. Tried primarily lighting with moonlight with a few indoor light fills but probably the scene's too dark. Makes me realize how much light filling there is in the movies, what's missing, a big blue gel? Thanks for the fun Jeremy, you're trying to show us how tough your job is, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Script1Test.jpg (17.8 KB, 144 views)

reply share thread