Discussion: Ideas for Future Challenges

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2006   #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterZap
Outside of my personal preferences - you're the boss. As long as there's cobblestone.

/Z

And the gas lamp! Don't forget the gas lamp!

www.silviapalara.com

Old 07 July 2006   #62
A future city like a "Blade Runner" landscape with fog and lights could be funny for a lighting challenge.
The Old london it's cool too

Jojo

Old 07 July 2006   #63
Thumbs up Street scene?

Jeremy

Perhaps look at this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...68&page=1&pp=15
maybe ask the guy if we could use his scene for a "guy under street lamp" challenge? His scene is a really good start (only misses the guy, basically)

/Z

Old 07 July 2006   #64
Hay people,
I have this scene for donation if people fancy lighting another room? i actualy did it in the first place as a personal lighting study. Ive asked the guy I used the concept of and he said it was fine to use too. I have my textures, if people are lazy, lol.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375497

Dan.

Old 07 July 2006   #65
Moving to a new job in a few days, will but upload the files to Jeremy if people are interested.

Dan.

Last edited by Dan Wade : 07 July 2006 at 08:10 AM.

Old 07 July 2006   #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wade
Moving to a new job in a few days, will but upload the files to Jeremy if people are interested.

Congraulations on the job if I didn't mention.

We're interested! It can be the next challenge.

That scene will offer variety compared to the more shader-intensive projects we've just had. If we have Gary Tonge's permission to do work based on his concept art, we can credit the scene for design as well as modeling.

I've been thinking of adding a texture map downloads section at some point (probably not set-up until after SIGGRAPH), so textures could be greatly appreciated if they are cleared in terms of copyright.

-jeremy

Old 07 July 2006   #68
Dan's scene is really cool to light Hope it will be one of the next challenge

Old 07 July 2006   #69
This looks like a great next challenge.

I've been watching this last challenge play out and have been more than intrigued by it, though too busy to get anything in. I think I'm gonna have to jump into the next one as soon as it goes live and try and plus out my texturing skills.

Thanks for the great forum and looking forward to more good stuff.

Old 07 July 2006   #70
a friend of my created this scene long time ago:
looks very similiar i think...
hmmm

http://daniel.mueri.net/gallery/plant-room/Final1.jpg

Old 07 July 2006   #71
It's from the same concept.

Old 08 August 2006   #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wade
Hay people,
I have this scene for donation if people fancy lighting another room? i actualy did it in the first place as a personal lighting study. Ive asked the guy I used the concept of and he said it was fine to use too. I have my textures, if people are lazy, lol.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375497

Dan.

That scene is awesome! That'd be a wonderful next challenge! Shoot, even if it isn't, I still want to light that!

Old 08 August 2006   #73
I'm sorry about the delay in getting the next one started.

The next challenge will start next Friday. It will be a straightforward, lighting-based scene, without a need for special shaders or refraction.

I haven't been able to contact Dan Wade about getting his hallway scene. That would certainly fit the bill for a straight-forward lighting scene (which is what we need after all these underwater issues) but I have another thing I'm putting together that will also be great to light.

-jeremy

Old 08 August 2006   #74
Sounds great Jeremy, can't wait to see what you have for us.

Old 09 September 2006   #75
I have a thought. Being a student and still learning course since when is there nothing else to learn in the cgi world?? I was thinking since yes lighting scenes are good but what about mood? light it up but add a mood? but insteaf of just handing us the scene with the challenge i think it ought to be cool to include a little "info" or lesson when starting each challenge on creating certain moods or lighting situations particularly for that lesson. not a this is how it's done but more of the technique to achieve that style and look. For example if one challenge was a scene that was an underground tunnel way or cavern that needed to be lighted from torchess or flash lights. You would give and state the lighting challenge and then one or a few moods that we could pick to create that apply for that challenge, for the moods for this it could be as follows: 1.Stark, mistky and empty 2. mysterious suspensfull and scary 3. warm calm and lonely . And then maybe offer a few tips or techniques used to create those. so for the misty or scary one i'd maybe offer some tips and techniques for creating and lighting a fog effect and making it seem scary and mysterious.

This is probually a poor example but i hope my idea holds. because i think getting correct lighting is good but haveing correct lighting with the correct mood is even better! this would offer us who are here to improve out lighting skills even more but also still alowing us to discover but with some direction.

reply share thread