Old 01-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

Discussion: Ideas for Future Challenges

Lighting Challenges are going great. To keep this up, we need new challenge scenes every one or two months.

Many of the challenges should be "simple" scenes - scenes that people could light in many different programs, or that you'd use as a test if you were getting yourself going with new software.

Some of the challenges should reflect common challenges of lighting in production, such as lighting animated characters, integrating 3D objects with real environments, dealing with hair, fur, reflection, transparency, water, etc.

If you have built an original scene that you'd like to offer for a future challenge (or know a person or company who could offer a scene), please mention it here, preferably with a picture.

If you have any request or other ideas about future challenges, this is the place!

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 05-22-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
ACamacho
Conqueror of Tater Tots

portfolio
Angel Camacho
Lighting TD
Blue Sky Studios
Bethel, USA

Send a message via AIM to ACamacho Send a message via Yahoo to ACamacho
I though of maybe doing a simple indoor scene. Like a sofa/chair propped next to a lamp stand/wall. And maybe a poseable character (very simple...cartoony most likely) to add character lighting to the mix. But it may have to be posed before people download for software compatiblity.

I can contribute a scene if time allows. Or maybe 3dcafe might have some full scenes. Just my .02 cents.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
MooseDog
Dreamer

portfolio
Robin Hoover
Dreamer
Whoville, USA

how about a challenge to depict a certain emotion using only lighting? no texturing, pre-defined camera angle, now create an image that says "the horror, oh the horror", or "I'm in love...".

film noir, 'nuff said . create an image from a simple scene that reflects the aesthetics of the genre, which was pretty much defined by it lighting (am i correct, i think so).

overall, ideas that steer people away from texturing skills. i recognize lighting nad texturing go hand-in-hand in real life, but i think it can be done ntl.

Blog

Old 01-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Zarathustra
Some old guy

portfolio
Dave Mauriello
Artist, Educator
Wilmington, USA

Maybe something practical like product shots.

Another idea might be a multi-stage challenge where you have to light a scene for say 3 different times of day.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog
how about a challenge to depict a certain emotion using only lighting? no texturing, pre-defined camera angle, now create an image that says "the horror, oh the horror", or "I'm in love...".

film noir, 'nuff said . create an image from a simple scene that reflects the aesthetics of the genre, which was pretty much defined by it lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
Another idea might be a multi-stage challenge where you have to light a scene for say 3 different times of day.

OK, I'm working on one like what you guys are saying. I'm getting the scene together for a "Four Scripts" challenge, where you start with the same 3D scene each time but a description of the location taken from different film scripts (with different genre, mood, and time of day possible), and you light the scene as you interpret the fragment of the script that introduces the location and what's happening there. People have to do at least one for the challenge, but I suspect some people will do 2 to 4 of them.

-jeremy

Old 01-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Zarathustra
Some old guy

portfolio
Dave Mauriello
Artist, Educator
Wilmington, USA

Sounds pretty cool

Old 01-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
reven
Frequenter

i am hoping to get to this scene as soon as my next semester starts...though this isn't an idea for future...i am hoping that they remain open even as new challenges come up...i especially am interested in this fruit scene...already working on some grapes for one of my projects and at this time i only have access to maya at the campus and we're on semester break! great to see this thread and challenge developing!

Old 01-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
JDex
First Prime of Anistropic

portfolio
Jason Dexter
Lighting/Rendering/Pipeline TD
Freedom
Providence, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by reven
i am hoping to get to this scene as soon as my next semester starts...though this isn't an idea for future...i am hoping that they remain open even as new challenges come up...i especially am interested in this fruit scene...already working on some grapes for one of my projects and at this time i only have access to maya at the campus and we're on semester break! great to see this thread and challenge developing!

Reven... if you want to play on break, download the PLE version. Watermarked ofcourse, but you can play in the meantime. I'm pretty sure the challenges will remain open. No real reason to close them.

On a VFX Hiatus

Old 01-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
reven
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDex
Reven... if you want to play on break, download the PLE version. Watermarked ofcourse, but you can play in the meantime. I'm pretty sure the challenges will remain open. No real reason to close them.

i only have 256 mb ram on my lap top...thought i need 512?

Old 01-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
JDex
First Prime of Anistropic

portfolio
Jason Dexter
Lighting/Rendering/Pipeline TD
Freedom
Providence, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by reven
i only have 256 mb ram on my lap top...thought i need 512?

Yeah... that's pretty low in the RAM department. It may run, but it'd be slow for sure.

On a VFX Hiatus

Old 01-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
reven
Frequenter

Quote:
Yeah... that's pretty low in the RAM department. It may run, but it'd be slow for sure.

yeah, for a brief moment i was hoping i had made a wrong assumption that ple would use less...well i have only two more weeks of break and hopefully by the end of the semester, i'll have a better option for Maya! thanx

Old 01-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #12
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

Quote:

Yes, the Fruit Bowl challenge will remain open. Around February 1 we will start the Four Scripts challenge, but if someone wants to post another fruit bowl image, there are people here who would still look at it and could reply with a critique.

-jeremy

Old 01-22-2006, 12:21 AM   #13
kevb3d
Just Some Dude

Kevin
3D Animation Production Lead
NGC, Inc.
Los Angeles, USA

I think the scripts challenge is key. It's one thing to do a product rendering, which is a great challenge in itself, but to take a scene and depict the words visually would definitely stretch the skill set. Many of us might benefit from it. It reminds me of a project that I had to do once for an English class, in which we had to draw a specific scene from The Great Gatsby. This is taking it that to the next level.

Kev

Old 01-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #14
Samo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alvaro Luna Bautista
Roses, Spain

There is a certain book plenty of concepts and exercises that can be used as guide for future challenges. Besides it would help people who have bought that book. I won't give names.

I'm particularly interested in compositing (Rendering in layers and Rendering in passes)

Rendering in layers has helped recently to finish a scene in time.

An exercise about animated lighting or animated shadows would be funny.

Last edited by Samo : 02-03-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #15
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

If people have any issues with file formats, I hope they can address them here. For example, are people finding that all the models are run together into a single object when they are imported? We should look into whether things could be better organized when transfered to different software. Also, it would be good to know how many people can import NURBS .igs files or something instead of all polygons.

-jeremy

reply share thread