Lighting Challenge #1: Fruit Bowl

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2006   #16
azazel -

That's terrific! It's great to see our challenges off to such a great start. Your work looks very painterly. Maybe one banana looks as if it had a coat of varnish on it. And grapes - grapes have a sort of "dusty" quality to them. Buy some grapes, study them at different tempertures, hold them, eat them, I hope you see what I mean. It's not dust, it's more like wetness on a skin that scatters light, but please tell me I'm not crazy, there's something that looks sortof dusty about grapes, isn't there? The bowl is looking good, maybe the reflection of the foreground cherry and banana stem is warped strangely, but that's probably just how raytraced reflections are looking. Other people will tell me if my comments are appropriate or too fussy or anything, overall it's great that you have a first render looking this good.

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2006   #17
Azazel,

That is really nice! I love the painterly quality you gave it. The banana on the far left looks great too. I think the one next to it could use less specular but the image is great for a "quick test".

Old 01 January 2006   #18
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.I know about the grapes, i'll work on that for sure for final version. Also, these violet thingies behind the apple are probably peaches, and it could be fun to make proper 'peachy' shader for them, instead of 'random' one as it is now .

The painterly effect, apart of the light setup, is probably due to some simple photoshop work - maybe i should post the psd file, it'd be easier than writing it

Old 01 January 2006   #19
is there a deadline for entry for this challenge?

Old 01 January 2006   #20
W.I.P.

Lighting set-up:

a big area light up and to the left, with a linear fall-off;
a small area light down and to the right, with an inverse squared fall-off and no shadow casting;
a specular-only point light up and to the right;
no GI.

Procedural textures, tools are Lightwave and Photoshop.

Hope this thing takes off, it's a great idea!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fruit_001.jpg (83.6 KB, 1049 views)

Blog

Old 01 January 2006   #21
Originally Posted by reven: is there a deadline for entry for this challenge?

There's no deadline. But, there will be another challenge started every 2 or 3 weeks. More people will be looking at this thread over the next two weeks than will ever be looking at it again, so if you want your work to be noticed and commented upon, getting something posted in the next two weeks would seem like a good idea.

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2006   #22
MooseDog -

Hard to tell much from early tests, but it looks like the final will need more shadows or occlusion added. The test seems to have too much light that lacks shadows or occlusion.

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2006   #23
Can't wait to get started on this, I'm glad you guys have things up and running, I really appreciate your hard work doing this for the community!

Old 01 January 2006   #24
Wow azazel really nicely done and it looks very artistic.

Last edited by jigu : 01 January 2006 at 04:13 AM.

Old 01 January 2006   #25
Just did test for fun!! i m posting clay render so i can get crits on lighting.

Old 01 January 2006   #26
there's no way to get that fruit bowl for maya 6.0 right? that's a 7.0 file. i heard about a converter from alias, and one on highend 3d...does anyone know where that is?

Old 01 January 2006   #27
Originally Posted by mewantelfears: there's no way to get that fruit bowl for maya 6.0 right? that's a 7.0 file. i heard about a converter from alias, and one on highend 3d...does anyone know where that is?

Maya 6 should be able to import the .obj file. I think you have to activate an obj import plug-in before you can import it.

If that fails someone could convert the Maya file to .ma for you (you can edit an .ma file to remove the "requires maya 7" line) but please try the .obj.

-jeremy

Old 01 January 2006   #28
Hey all!
I just downloaded the obj, works perfect with max 7, the details are amazing! I especially love the smoothness of the cloth I'll get to work on this once I get my scanner working.

Also, many thanks to Dan and Jeremy for setting this up.

Ta!

Alvin

Old 01 January 2006   #29
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: Maya 6 should be able to import the .obj file. I think you have to activate an obj import plug-in before you can import it.

oh my aren't i the brightest bulb....thanks!!!

Old 01 January 2006   #30
Originally Posted by the_jigu: Just did test for fun!! i m posting clay render so i can get crits on lighting.

Good start. The shaping of how light wraps around a grape is a little hard to capture, but see what you can do to make the grapes look translucent. Overall the lighting is looking very "sourcy" - as if it were sitting between two lightbulbs. Some of the shadows, like the cherry stem shadow on the left side of the orange (if that's what that is), just don't seem to be motivated by anything natural. If you're going to work on the shaders or textures, do that before you do more lighting, some of the lighting problems like the end of the banana going so bright might just get fixed by a map.

-jeremy

reply share thread