LC#47 Quixel Megachallenge !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

06 June 2017
Originally Posted by oglu: a screenshot of the light setup would be nice...
for the leafs are those double sided materials or some ss materials.?

The leaves was just a thinwalled mila, with a translucence layer, no double side or sss, but it could be done (but I wanted fast rendertimes).

And for the screen shot here it is :

waiting to see more from you all

Originally Posted by Arthur-Liebnau: No instances are recognized in the FBX files, so again there is a lot of work needed to "make stuff work", just as hgagne recently said.
As mentioned there are quite some textures used from cgtextures and not provided here, but others are simply missing like the one for the ivy, jungleGras, Palmleavy, grassClump,Grass_scan,*buisson_swamp and brambleThorny1Flower. Since these are UV mapped its quite some work to work these out.

It's strange the FBX dont work for you, but I think I gave a scene without the instances to jojo and where only the base mesh where there, so you could be free to scatter it your self and use proxy etc.
Same for the map, I took them all on CGtextures, and the leave are pretty simple to settup. And I understand that Jojo may want to be clean about what he gives. Maybe contact the CGtexture team and ask them if we can share the leaves ?

Last edited by FeD : 06 June 2017 at 07:14 AM.

06 June 2017
So, just to show that making a scene with the assets doesn't take much time : (this took me arround 3h)

06 June 2017
Sorry for the bad question, but how can I load the scene assembled with the textures already loaded in maya? If I import the fbx no meterial is assigned. Do I have to do it personally?

06 June 2017
@FED cool ! is this mental ray ? The shaders really look perfect !

06 June 2017
Originally Posted by jojo1975: @FED cool ! is this mental ray ? The shaders really look perfect !
Yes Mental-ray as usual from me^^. MILA shaders with normal map and.. that's it. 1H rendertime at 2k.

06 June 2017
What an awesome new challenge!

Going to try out some new FX driven stuff on this. Maybe some animation and have some fun with it. First WIP is some comp layout

Last edited by prestonplatt : 06 June 2017 at 11:53 PM.

07 July 2017
Alright WIP 2. I ended up going over to MegaScans and grabbing/Buying a ton of new models. I wanted to take the scene in a little different direction although maintain the comp. I have about 6 lights in the scene and I plan on adding a ton more as I get things figured out. Rendering in Vray which has become my favorite render lately. Im going for something a little more stylistic here and not so photoreal. Kind of the vibe you would get from a color script in production

07 July 2017
@prestonplatt:

Looking good;*the first image is looking cool.* I'd be interested in seeing the light setup for that one.

Cheers,

07 July 2017
Hey all,

Here's an update from my last post, I've added textures to most of the objects now and added some butterflies in the distance as a sort of focal point. I also gave DOF a try to help with drawing attention to the right place. Fairly happy with how it's looking now.

Here's a screengrab of my lights. The tiny light at the top is a small area light I used as a sun, and the oak leaf geo I placed below it to break up the sun light and create rays in the fog volume.

07 July 2017
Can you tell me how can I import the scene already texturized?

07 July 2017
creating the shader is part of the challenge i would say...

07 July 2017
@Lucentis when you import the original assets from quixel, you can setup in your software the directory of your texture, but creating your own materials depends on your the setup of your software of choice. If you opne the maya scene you will need to redirect your path according to your system and adding the "missing" texture that we could not include since they are part of cgtextures and "proprietary" textures.

07 July 2017
my vray version... needs a bit more but i lilke the direction...

07 July 2017
Hi All,
can any one guide me in shading part of this challenge, i m using maya -arnold* as a render,
how to use cavity map, fuzz , spe maps to get the proper look.
Thanks in advance

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by FeD: So, just to show that making a scene with the assets doesn't take much time : (this took me arround 3h)

Twitch stream or it didn't happen!

reply share thread