LC45 Xmas Awesome Mecabricks challenge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2016
Error in file

Originally Posted by jojo1975: Xmas Challenge

Thanks for the lovely set
Not able to open the scene properly, also shaders are not assigned. Some help plzzz

12 December 2016
Giorgio What an Awesome Challenge!

Here is my first quick WIP. Depth of field, subsurface scatter, Camera FOV, and heavy light bouncing are aspects of this that are going to be key to make this feel right. This scene is also incredibly busy so getting Comp is going to be tricky to get a feel for the story you are trying to tell

Exciting stuff!

12 December 2016
Alright WIP 1 Starting to really light the scene an get a feel for what im going with here. I like the thought of a christmas scene in a display with dim lighting. Really giving the chance to create some kind of realistic lighting with a subtle story.

No Subsurface scattering or really any work on the materials. Very Early. 7 Lights in the scene at this moment

Renderman for the Renderer/Maya Absolutely no Post work at this point

Last edited by prestonplatt : 12 December 2016 at 12:42 AM.

12 December 2016
WIP 2. Worked on the composition. Still feels a little flat any suggestions by you guys would be awesome. It also desperately needs more of a story. Im starting to get a little subsurface scatter but I want to crank it up. Still overall sloppy

Going to start doing some substance work for weathering the scene soon. At the moment 10 lights in the scene

Anyone know of any really good Maya Renderman Subsurface scatter tutorials? The effect Ardman and The lego movie is the aspect i'm trying to achieve here. Ive found a ton of documentation on it but never can get the right effect

Comments appreciated

@FeD As usual I love what you do. Maybe try pushing the contrast? Also more specific light source for the night scene and really work with that bounce light from the snow

@chribang Keep going this is really starting to look awesome! Think about the story your lighting is telling and the realism of where the light source is coming from. Right now i'm getting a vibe like this is a half real half cartoon world. Contrast is great but if that light source felt more real it would really pop

@wax78 Great Start. Depth of field really helps here I like it. I would suggest getting rid of the toon outline although if you keep it consistent on all aspects it could be pretty cool. Keep going

@Meglatura Love the wide angle and your scene really tells a story thats awesome. Light is very washed out at the moment. Maybe think about introducing a more consistent point of sunlight to give a bit more contrast

Last edited by prestonplatt : 12 December 2016 at 08:03 AM.

12 December 2016
WIP 3.

Lighting is starting to get refined for creating more depth. Still no good work done on making the materials more realistic.

Going to start adding some characters and refine the color palette

Added some IES light profiles which made a huge difference

12 December 2016
Nice WIP prestonplatt ! it's nice to see the progress of your image. Maybe get more reflections on the plastic.

Meglatura : nice render, I will say +1 with prestonplatt, maybe it is just the colors of your lego and not the lighting. do you use gamma 2.2 x2 ?

Thank for the feedback, here is my uppgraded version, and final I think. (right clic to see better rez)

12 December 2016
Hi!
Thanks for the challenge!
This is my version. I got lazy and used only the sled but i wanted a LegoMovie style with some dirty legos.
I used Maya SubstancePainter and AE for compo.

Cheers

12 December 2016
intro

Hi everyone

WIP

Maya Renderman 21

12 December 2016
WIP 4. Slammed with work but this challenge is too fun. able to texture the blocks a bit with spec maps. I created a little Animation because I think this is too good of an opportunity to pass up and it let me create some fun controlled chaos in the scene. Here are the first and 10th frame. Its about 30 frames but the render time is pretty intense

Comp is a little all over the place I will try to work on the color scheme soon but it almost feels right being so random since most children creating lego scenes don't have a semblance of composition color scheme haha

Down to about 5 lights in the scene. I was able to start getting some subsurface in the blocks. It was a bit odd with scaling

12 December 2016
Update

Took on board the feedback and made some changes. Any more creative criticism always appreciated.

@prestonplatt Looking forward to seeing your final result looking nice so far

Last edited by Meglatura : 12 December 2016 at 11:11 AM.

12 December 2016
Last Entry

Full Size

Fixed the snow

Last edited by Meglatura : 12 December 2016 at 11:06 AM.

12 December 2016
Hi there! I decided to go with 20s to 50s cartoon look, specially in getting those greys.
Later on I'm going to add some practical lighting as well as materials and textures.

lighting_test01

Last edited by GabrielAlmendares : 12 December 2016 at 05:29 AM.

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by ankurrastogi: Thanks for the lovely set
Not able to open the scene properly, also shaders are not assigned. Some help plzzz

The FBX file will work.

12 December 2016
Well late as usual, but here is my first image. Still got lots to do.

Direct link to full size image:

https://s23.postimg.org/cq1a6wmqz/lego_Woman.jpg

Thread Closed share thread