LC#43 Tears in the Rain (by Stahlberg)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2016
Hello to all,
so about the model, you are free to modify as you prefer. Since it's a challenge probably it will be better fo you to paint your own map. Also keep in mind that the model was tested in marmoset and unreal engine, so it's suitable to be used in realtime.
About the references..
why don't you give a look here ?
Every screen capture of this scene can be very helpful. Keep posting. I will give feedback during next week and week-end
Giorgio

01 January 2016
Doing a some minor facial expressions in zbrush then I will take the model to Unity.

Luck6 and Pedronix... Nic work. Looking forward to the finished work.

01 January 2016
This is a lighting challenge?!

01 January 2016
Shader/Texturing/Lighting challenge. Since I had the change to have a model from Stahlberg I guess it was kind of fun to light a pro model. Feedback is always wellcome and also idea for new challenge/help for creating new scenes.

01 January 2016
Luck6 and Pedronix... Nic work. Looking forward to the finished work.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man!

01 January 2016
After doing some research on the web I came across a nice shot from sincity. It really got me inspired.

I think I will do a similar render of it. But more into the art noir fibe. The typical trench coat guy in the rain under a light kinda thing. What do you guys think? Will it still be good for the challenge?

01 January 2016
This is the concept sketch I made for it. Any feedback from you guys?

01 January 2016
I can offer Trenchcoat and hat if you want

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by Scote: I can offer Trenchcoat and hat if you want

How kind! If it is any good, sure why not . I will put your name at it when I'm done.

01 January 2016
Looks cool Lucas!!! but you'll prolly need to zoom in cos the requirement states that you have to show skin as per how I understood it....

GOOD LUCK!!!

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by Pedronix: Looks cool Lucas!!! but you'll prolly need to zoom in cos the requirement states that you have to show skin as per how I understood it....

GOOD LUCK!!!

Yeah I kinda thought so. I will make another sketch and zoom in onto the character. Make more of portait render. But I still wanna keep it in the same style. I think it would look awesome to see the water dripping of the hat. But than again it would be weird that the face is wet. So I have to think about it

01 January 2016
Alright here is my 3rd WIP. Seeing some great first steps on here keep up the good work guys. Still very low quality render. Starting to figure out the story for my soaked guy here and playing with the comp. I like that he is taller and kind of juts out of the umbrella's. I have 5 spot lights in play here with one environment map to give some ambient reflections and color. See bellow. One of my favorite parts is that this is without any post work its just a straight render.

Its awesome that Steven Stahlberg donated this model. One of my very first 3D inspirations from when I was about 13 years old was Expose 1. his dragon and girl image that was the cover.

Anywho would love comments about comp and feel. Still very early but its starting to come together

Rendered Image

Screen shot Alt Angle showing Model setup

Lighting setup

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by prestonplatt: Anywho would love comments about comp and feel. Still very early but its starting to come together

That's a nice concept. Love the Idea of the umbrella: nice addition. But look like he's surrounded by little asian people. He feel too height.

Also as for the Light setup I see a rectangle reflected on his forehead, so I guess you're using a softbox with a rectangular shape. Maybe try a hard spot on something else.. Rectangular shape in an exterior feel wrong for me.

What is your story behind it? You could for exemple try to tell the story that a car is turning the corner and his headlights blasting the scene.

Last edited by Scote : 01 January 2016 at 12:57 PM.

01 January 2016
@Scote Awesome feedback! I love what you said about being in an asian country that was kinda what I was going for but I think i might need to put him even lower I tried to ground him more in the comp to make it feel better though. Tried to fix everything else you noticed hopefully I succeeded

Here is my next WIP Need to work on the eyes for sure and overall work with his expression. Need to figure out the point of the image as well. Background needs help too.

Still a straight render from Renderman with no Post work. Im going to try to keep it that way

Last edited by prestonplatt : 01 January 2016 at 10:26 PM.

01 January 2016
WIP 5 Low resolution render. Working on expression he feels a little too pathetic and annoying. Its a little blown out and needs some help with the comp. think im going to put him a little lower he still feels a bit tall.

Last edited by prestonplatt : 01 January 2016 at 09:58 PM.

Thread Closed share thread