LC # 41 VanitaSSS

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2015
Thanks korabkoff! The geo next to the window is nothing actually, it's just a part of the room that happened to be separate to the rest of the room. I guess the verts weren't merged there and when I hid the rest of the room that part remained.

The skull shader is fairly simple. A simple 3d procedural driving some colour and spec roughness variations. Then I added an ambient occlusion node with a tight radius to bring out the tiny cracks and gaps trying to match some refs of old skulls off google image search. There is also some sss but it's very subtle.

Regarding the dark area under the candle, I see what you mean. I kind of like that it remains a little darker so that the eye can be drawn to the more important parts of the composition but earlier I did try toying around with the flame light position to maybe fake more light in those places but ultimately I ended up with what you see here.
The flame in the render is the actual light source in my scene so "technically speaking" there should be no candle light under the candle stick and that was the main reason I decided to add the large soft fill from above to add some value to the muddiest areas and pick up some highlights there.

I really like the nautical theme you have going on in your render! Great result

08 August 2015
I changed the lighting to a much warmer tone to condense the light and to get rid of the photographic look and push it more to the warm saturated tone of oil colours. The scene is now basically lit by two tiny omnis, one for diffuse/specular, one for reflection. I also modeled some lillies.

Viewport:

08 August 2015

Here is my first pass. Geo gave me a lot of trouble so didn't get to texture as well as I would like to...

Last edited by deijardon : 08 August 2015 at 08:03 AM.

08 August 2015
Second Pass

Refined this a little more. Use energy conserving materials and I think that really helped. Texture mapping isn't great but I don't feel like changing it...

Maya + Arnold + After Effects

Cheers!

08 August 2015
deijardon - Great work on materials! Fabric looks weird right now - like a foil.

08 August 2015
bibi5000 - love your vase, books and glass shaders!

08 August 2015
Originally Posted by korabkoff: deijardon - Great work on materials! Fabric looks weird right now - like a foil.

Thanks Korabkoff! Yes it is supposed to be foil. Or some kind of thin metal. The fabric was modeled to stand up off the surface of the table so I just went with it. Maybe I'll do a cloth sim and replace that one.

08 August 2015
jojo1975, what is the deadline for this one?

08 August 2015
vanita 03

A lot of good work here!
Added some more candels..started texturing. Still trying to get a filmed candlight look.

08 August 2015
LC # 41 VanitaSSS

hear is my try

08 August 2015
amitlighting - cool cartoon style look. love it!
cyrus3v - till 15 of august

I have had some time to seat, relax, gather suggestions and to reconsider post. Right now I having troubles with attaching result to project - it is just hang out upon upload progress bar is full.

Last edited by korabkoff : 08 August 2015 at 10:38 AM.

08 August 2015
how to delete post???

Last edited by korabkoff : 08 August 2015 at 09:53 AM.

08 August 2015
Hello to all, I'm on vacation and I will come back to my workstation soon. It seems lot of people like this challenge and I still have to prepare next one, so don't worry too much about the deadline, I will need to make an extension to it

08 August 2015
Another variation with more cinematic look inspired by pap87.

Critic are very welcome.

Last edited by korabkoff : 08 August 2015 at 04:27 PM.

08 August 2015
Hello again!

Great work on this challenge from everyone, its always cool to see the variety of treatments and styles.

Here's my final version for this one, I haven't been able to spend too much time adding extra details to it but I've played with the shaders and toned down the post abit from my WiP. Hope you like it, comments are always welcome, thanks Andy

--------------------------------------------------
http://rewsrenders.blogspot.co.uk/

Thread Closed share thread