LC # 41 VanitaSSS

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2015
Thank you

@ragupasta and @Eric-Harvey - thank you for sharing your workflows.

07 July 2015
1st Try

Thanks Eric-Harvey for sharing your shell material settings.
I think I need to play with it some more. still learning more about SSS material from vray

Last edited by metafus : 07 July 2015 at 04:31 PM.

07 July 2015
Eric-Harvey. Thank you much appreciated.

@metafus: Nice dark foreboding scene there. The shell SSS is a bit strong though. not sure what attribute controls it in VRay, but from my package the intensity would be too strong. The subsurface should be quite slight unless there was a very bright light situated inside. I assume the light penetrating the surface is from the ones inside the skull?

07 July 2015
Great renders everyone!

Here is my first try on Corona render:

Raw render:

07 July 2015
still life

@ragupasta yes leaning towards a darker feeling with the image.
I added more candles to give it more that feeling. I adjusted the
lights so they are not blown out which is what happening in the skull sockets.
I am still thinking on what to do with the books to create more variations.

07 July 2015
v01

Hi all,

beautiful challenge..couldn't resist. First try mainly for light and basic material.
No textures yet. Wanted to try to get somewhere close to Barry Lyndon.
http://www.diptyqueparis-memento.co...s-barry-lyndon/
Which is quite hard to achieve
Again with Houdini Mantra.
Hope you like it

07 July 2015
Tons of awesome work here guys keep it up. Giorgio had let me test out this scene a while ago and this is what I came up with. I dont have any WIPs unfortunately. All rendered in Mental ray. I seem to always go back and forth between render engines. I think im going to give this one another shot in Renderman im really blown away by how great that renderer is. Thanks guys

Edit: Found my scene and lighting setup. the two other spot lights were linked to a couple objects that just needed a bit more illumination. Pretty simple with a bounce card below. Used a heavy amount of Global illumination to get the bounce lighting.

Last edited by prestonplatt : 07 July 2015 at 10:30 PM.

07 July 2015
Hi everyone,
Good challenge and great work so far by everyone, I had to have ago at this one! Here's my first WiP image rendered in Corona out of Max. A small bit of post in PS. Hope you like it.
Andy

--------------------------------------------------
http://rewsrenders.blogspot.co.uk/

07 July 2015
wow r-e-w, that lighting looks fantastic, very painterly. The glass looks a bit cg-ish, I think.

08 August 2015
Hey all, pretty awesome renders here so far! Here's my go at the scene.
Fairly low-res and noisy in some parts for now but I'll run out a better quality one soon.

Using maya and mentalray, and glow done in post.
Let me know what you think, cheers!

08 August 2015
Lighting Challenges > LC # 41 VanitaSSS by Dzianis Karabkou

At leas I have a couple of days to participate in Lighting challenges. All in all it takes me 12 hours.

About 2 hours spend on to get rid of geometry glitches after exporting from OBJ. May be next time I will spend more on tweaking export settings )))

Layout and basic lighting was ready in next 2 hours. Nothing special but many renders to achieve plausible result. Key and fill light additional light with makes shadows under the desk a bit softer. I used vray dome light with HDRI in it where diffuse emitting was set to off, which help me to cast additional reflection for gold chandelier and doesn’t mess with my lighting.

Most of the time spent on developing shaders - 6 hours.
I was try couple of shaders for cloth from basic pattern fabric to cotton and they look exquisite and shiny, but they grab to mush attention. Finally I end up with final rough burlap. Texture I found on Cgtextures.com, apply displace and use vray fur to create spiny look.
For both shells, skull and candle I used vay SSS2. I found useful to create test object like piece of cheese with couple of concave in it , place it in lighting condition in isolate selection to figure out which parameters works best - it render a lot faster and result is highly informative.
Big dark brown vase was another big issue because of size and role in composition. I have a lot of color variation but they all argue with skull until I have made it almost black.

Rendering and final polishing in Nuke and Photoshop takes the rest 2 hour. Render time is about 25 minutes on Intel 4790K 4.00 GHz with 32 Gb of Ram. And as always no matter how many prerender you have done before you are notice something crusial during final render time ))) For output I used 32 full float EXR with passes like reflection, GI, SSS, Z-Depth, mates for every objects and separate lights passes. Nuke was used only for glow and for Depth of field. And yes there is no any DOF because it ruin everything. Next time I will do some test for DOF before going further than layout. And finally in Photoshop I add some thickness to paper, remove overburns from skull and stamp dark artifacts on one of the shells.

Actually it takes 14 hours because to make that description a spend another 2 )
modeling: Giorgio Luciano and BodyParts3D for part of the skull
Layout, Texturing, Lighting, Rendering and Post: Dzianis Karabkou

08 August 2015
Originally Posted by bibi5000: wow r-e-w, that lighting looks fantastic, very painterly. The glass looks a bit cg-ish, I think.

Thanks for the feedback bibi5000, yeah now you point it out the glass doesn't look quite right, time to start tweaking shaders!

08 August 2015
Here's a higher res version with better samples compared to my last render.

Render time was 6.5 hours on my i72670-QM 2.2Ghz 8GB RAM laptop. Bit slow for sure, but too lazy to optimise.

Here's my scene setup:

Very basic rig. Cool soft key from the window, warm sharper light from the candle and very soft low intensity fill light that's about the size of the ceiling. I did use the room for extra light bounce, I just hid it in this screenshot to make it easier to see the scene.

Used this scene as an opportunity to test the latest mentalray and so everything here is using the mila material and new mentalray prototype GI solution and new SSS, all of which I find refreshing as there are no more splotchy artifacts to worry about, just noise which can be easily taken care of and I find the results much more realistic and time-saving given the results.

Not much to mention regarding render settings. Basically all quality sliders set to 0.6 and bounces set to 5. I'm still learning what some of these do, although it seems to make sense so far.

Happy to hear any suggestions if you have any or answer any questions if you have any of those too!

08 August 2015
r-e-w - magnificent work. Love your composition, shaders (except glass), lighting and atmosphere. Congrats!

08 August 2015
pap87 - Great mystic atmosphere! Number 1 shader for skull I think.

A little bit dark and messy under the candle to my taste. It looks like candle light have to cover that area and .

Why you have flag next to light representing window??? Are you using some color variation map on window light?

Thread Closed share thread