LC #38 Urban Decay

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2014
Hey Guys,

Ill post a Maya and obj. version tomorrow. I unlocked the normals and gave most the surfaces quick automatic Uv's. The other objects should also be in the right places since a couple were thrown all over the place when I opened the file.

10 October 2014
Links Updated Thanks To Preston !!! Start Posting !!!

10 October 2014
Arrow First test render

Hi folks!

Love lighting challenges !

Despite messy scene and geometry, lack of UVs, (looks like it came straight from CAD software) I choose to go "dark" way to hide lack of model detail and missing texturing. Its quite fun to play with atmosphere of the scene as it gives nice volume in space and same time details.

Demo Reel <<< Protfolio Rendering/Lighting

Last edited by Dodgeas3d : 10 October 2014 at 07:08 PM.

10 October 2014
That's a great start ! I have to say that I really like the atmosphere and I will be very curious to have a look at the light setup you used ! Also it will be fun to see a version with more dust and smoke. I know that the file have no UV since I thought that probably due the dimension of the scene if someone would like to create a close-up will spend a bit more time manually unwrapping the object interested and leaving a generic shader for the rest, but hey if someone has a UVmapped scene that will be great (BTW cilynder UV and BOX map can do the trick for almost all the scene
Is anyone interested in adding details ? I can model a bit more of stuff (industrial light and so one) to add to the scene.
I will be greatly interested to see how the scene work in a realtime render (UNREAL ENGINE ETC) so if you want just send me a line and I will be glad to contribute to help
I'm waiting for more entry ! Rember this is a huge challenge, take your time but also start posting
Giorgio

10 October 2014
Thanks Jojo !

Light setup is basically very simple : 3 spot light for main direct light, left and right sides, another on the back + skydome light for global illumination. All is about to find right angles intensities and colours.

Last edited by Dodgeas3d : 10 October 2014 at 05:22 PM.

10 October 2014
Wonderful Challenge , I'm in . . .

10 October 2014
Another angle plus adding more light cause on different monitors I noticed some details are lost in shadows :(

10 October 2014
Nice atmosphere How long did it take to render HD frame? In my tests using skydome for interior lighting is insanely slow in Arnold.

10 October 2014
Just start lighting with Arnold...

10 October 2014
Anvell > well it takes some time from 45mins to >1 hour.

mikeshuangyan > nice details you added to the scene ! all these piles of bricks.

The sun seems to be a bit too big , making scene as miniature, shadows too washed out, should be more sharp to get the right scale. Good work!

Last edited by Dodgeas3d : 10 October 2014 at 10:42 AM.

11 November 2014
really great entry so far ! Also I love the addition of the broken bricks
Pls remember to post your light settings to help each other learn more.
I'm looking forward to see more post ! I will give more detailed feedback during weekend
Jojo

11 November 2014
Thanks Dodgeas3d,Jojo !
I have adjust the shadow area and roughly add some textures.

11 November 2014
@mikeshuangyan Awesome Progress! The scene really has weight and the lighting does wonders for that. Keep going and maybe soften some of the lighting in the middle of the scene. Its a bit harsh on the eye. Awesome stuff.

11 November 2014
@ Dodgeas3d really fantastic work ! I like the atmosphere. Why don't you try also to add a bit of fumes or vapour coming out of the pipes ? It can be very interesting variation ! and pls post light breakdown
@ mikeshuangyan I like the textured image. You should work a bit on the dimension of the big tank since the scratch seems a bit too big. Also adding a bit of color variance can help the whole image.
The lighting is wonderful The volumetric effect really kicks. Really waiting to see more ?
@Preston where's your entry ?
Giorgio

Thread Closed share thread