LC #37 BART Bay Area Rapid Transit

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

06 June 2014
Inverted normals?

Thanks Preston! Great model. Will keep improving it, and try a daylight one. Duplicating the train sounds great.

BTW, when I imported the obj, I still got quite a few inverted normals. Those gives me problems when I sub-divide them. Particularly on the body near the air vent by the side door, and also on the seats. You mentioned it was fixed in a previous post but I tried the first download link and still got some problems?

Thanks!

06 June 2014
Bart Bay Train First Cut

Hey All,

Hope you all are good and Excited to enter this challenge and see some great works from the masters.

Here's my First Cut for this challenge. Hope you all like it and Comment and criticize on it.

Good luck to everyone..

Softwares Used.

3Ds Max 2014, VRay 2.40, Photoshop CS3

Thanks

06 June 2014
Thanks prestonplatt! the inspiration for this color scheme came from the french train RER B http://ufies.org/~aleith/transit/pa...e_rer_lineb.jpg

06 June 2014
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I can't get this file to import without all kinds of issues with the normals. I have tried 3DS max 2013 and 2014 as well as Maya 2015. If anyone has any suggestions as to what settings to use with the import or perhaps a link to the file already imported into max or maya that would be really helpful.

Thanks.

06 June 2014
Hi everybody,

thanks a lot for another challenge jojo and thank you Preston for this nice model!
I also had normal problems when importing the mesh into maya2015
Flipped them by hand.

If you don´t mind some german names for the shapes (most of them are in english though) feel free to download this version.
I also grouped the objects for better handling.

Here´s the link: Bart_Maya2015.rar

06 June 2014
Thanks very much funky, that worked perfectly.

06 June 2014
you´re welcome

06 June 2014
@funkygfx Thanks! So odd because when I import I have no flipped normals. I even tested Vray/ Arnold/ Mental ray in some render tests. This was the base model I had before I started building the short so maybe something went wrong. Glad we got that sorted out though!

Cant wait to see what you come up with.

06 June 2014
How do u check the normals?
In Maya I turn off "two sided lighting" and check "use default material".
Normally u can see the flipped normals then. (this was the case with ur model)

In some cases especially when working with CAD-Data the normals look fine with two sided lighting off, but turn black when u switch it back on.
If this happens the vertex normals are pointing in the oppsite direction of the polygon normals....
Our TD wrote a script to align vertex and polygon normals...works in some cases...
Maya and normals is an endless annoying topic....

06 June 2014
@funkygfx Oh dont get me started I know exactly what you mean. I deal with tons of CAD and Solid Works models and the Normals are always a mess. I usually use the good ol Viewport 2.0 to check with that scenario and it usually spots them. It wasn't effecting my renders so I guess I just missed it.

For the Normals issue with CAD and such, I use a V-ray 2 sided shader with the same material piped in and it works wonders. You can also slide that slider to the right on the 2 sided shader a little and get some nice translucency as well haha.

06 June 2014
Originally Posted by funkygfx: How do u check the normals?
In Maya I turn off "two sided lighting" and check "use default material".
Normally u can see the flipped normals then. (this was the case with ur model)

Good tip.

I typically use the Display > Normals and set the length to a smaller value than default ... makes it easier to see if the geometry needs some "love".

If it does, I usually do a Normals > Conform which usually sorts things out ... at the very least, it helps reduce the number of reverse normals to correct.

Cheers,

06 June 2014
oh and one more offtopic normals thing.....
what to do if u have a CAD-mesh with locked normals which are flipped?
When unlocking u can reverse them, but the smoothing angles of the polygons are lost and the mesh looks like crap....I don´t have a workaround for that so far

06 June 2014
Hi all! Here's my take on this challenge. I wasn't sure if I was ever going to post this in the end because I basically just wanted to play with it and get back to 3D and all that by doing so.

Anyways, this BART was rendered in 3dsmax with VRay. I did some contrast and color adjustments in Photoshop as well, added some minor details and finally gave it a bit of glow and lens effects in AE.

Hope you like it, at least it was fun working on it! Thanks and keep it up.

Last edited by JNevalainen : 06 June 2014 at 12:04 AM.

06 June 2014
OBJ version?

Hi funkygfx,

Thanks for fixing the normals. Would it be possible for you to save out an .obj version of the file? Thanks!

06 June 2014
Hello dwu,

I created an obj for as well as a fbx (so u won´t loose all the groups)
Download here:

Bart_Model_PrestonPlatt_OBJ

Bart_Model_PrestonPlatt_FBX

Bart_Model_PrestonPlatt_Maya

reply share thread