LC #32: Architectural Landmark "intermezzo"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2013   #16
Originally Posted by cubiclegangster: I hate you so much.
They weren't in order. It's more interesting that the quality achieved with maya/MR and the 3 max/vray ones is comparable - showing that software doesn't matter and it's down to the artist.

I just kinda figured you're effectively in competition with people who didn't have a deadline and picked away at these for (in guthrie's case) the best part of a year - It's going to be very difficult to make your own version which doesnt simply boil down an angle already done before by one of these, and better.

Well, you said the top 6 and this one is in first place. And is true, it doesn't matter the software, but I still found amazing that he used Maya and Mental Ray.

I agree with you, with a deadline (maybe we can get more time) is hard to achieve the quality you can find in other works. I am not sure when I will start post something, as I am finishing a job. But right now I am adding more detail to the model and then I will start working in the light.

Giorgio Luciano you did a great job

Old 04 April 2013   #17
Just some clarifications..

Hi I'm a compositor learning lighting and rendering. What does "The challenge is not to put an HDR but to reproduce the lighting as you will see in the references attached" mean? The contestants can only use the default lights in the package? Sorry I'm a bit confused.

Old 04 April 2013   #18
Originally Posted by TurboRat: Hi I'm a compositor learning lighting and rendering. What does "The challenge is not to put an HDR but to reproduce the lighting as you will see in the references attached" mean? The contestants can only use the default lights in the package? Sorry I'm a bit confused.

I don't think so. Is just a way to say, Look this is more then using a HDRI to light this scene.

By the way, you may need to scale the model a little to bit.

Old 04 April 2013   #19
Here is my 3rd WIP. I went another route for lighting this one. Trying to get a better feel. Im having fun trying different styles out. This had a point light couple area lights and a image based source for the sun.

Still needs a bunch of work but im feeling better about it

Last edited by prestonplatt : 04 April 2013 at 03:37 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #20
Hi prestonplatt,

Looks good. What approach are you using to light this one?

Old 04 April 2013   #21
Originally Posted by badeindi: Hi Guys!

I'am new in here First question, I use Cinema4D R13 and have normally no problems but if I try to import the data the viewport show nothing (if I start to render then yes but if not I dont get any picture).

Has someone the same experience? I would like to take part and take the challenge

regards

mike

I'm having problems too with Softimage 2012.5 to open the file

Old 04 April 2013   #22
I can export as a Collada file if want to or as obj with different settings.

I am using 3ds Max and Maya and is fine here.

Old 04 April 2013   #23
Originally Posted by cyrus3v: I can export as a Collada file if want to or as obj with different settings.

I am using 3ds Max and Maya and is fine here.

If you can try it would be great!

Old 04 April 2013   #24
Using 3ds Max 2012 I exported the obj as

Collada file:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5y...dit?usp=sharing

and

FBX file:

Old 04 April 2013   #25
Originally Posted by cyrus3v: Using 3ds Max 2012 I exported the obj as

Collada file:

and

FBX file:

I had some problems in displaying the scene in the viewport but now it works! Thanks a lot!!!

Old 04 April 2013   #26
Glad I could help you. I am still working a few aspects in the model and then I will start thinking in the composition.

I am going to apply some useful things I learned here:

Photographic Approach in Architectural Visualisation

Old 04 April 2013   #27
Originally Posted by Gabba: I had some problems in displaying the scene in the viewport but now it works! Thanks a lot!!!
Well, the .obj format exported from Max and Maya is not the .obj format that most non-AD apps are able to read consistently. Can only assume it includes something proprietary to AD. Also look out for flipped polygons and normal maps.

Old 04 April 2013   #28
Here is my contribution for this challenge.
Done with Maya and v-ray. 3 rect lights, 1 sphere light and 1 hdri.
There is too much furniture i think so but anyway...
Critics are welcome.

@Preston
Nice work and good lighting approach !
And thanks for your help ...

Last edited by Tit-Co : 05 May 2013 at 08:28 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #29
here is my attempt

hi, here is my attempt on the contest... I look up images of the interrior of the house and try to mimic one of the hopefully photograph of the house, because it could very well be a very good 3d render , I wanted to thank Luciano for being so kind to lend us the model.

any thoughts and critiques are welcome...

-Erwin

Last edited by erwinriau : 04 April 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #30
Updated texture for the wall, but something wrong with the alignment of layers that will need looking into.
Anyway, also used dynamics simulation to drape a cloth over the couch.
Changed the camera angle as well.

*Edit* Fixed the texture locators - but still room for improvement with respect to getting a closer look compared to the real concrete slabs.

Last edited by runejw : 04 April 2013 at 07:46 PM.

reply share thread