Lighting Challenge #30: Old school Smoke, no Smoke

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2012   #46
@Preston Please no lens flare !!! this version of image is very good. the only thing that look weird are the pepper and salt container. probably the IOR of the glass is a bit too high. Als try to add a bit more sample to the rendering
@rgiles Great start
about shaders
the spoon look a bit too glossy, while the cup a bit low reflective.
Try to add a dirt map to the metals in your scene and also to change the pepper texture. The ketchup material need to be more plastic. Also try to give more overall contrast to the image.

to all ! NEW SCENE ALMOST READY FOR NEW COMPETITION. THIS ONE WILL RUN TILL END OF MONTH. NEXT ONE IS A HUGE CHALLENGE !

Old 12 December 2012   #47
Smoke Old School

@jojo1975 I have Finally completed this scene. I am still new to lighting so any feedback would be great.

Software used

Maya 2012
Mental Ray
Mudbox 2012
Photoshop CS6

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums...pg?t=1355325641

Last edited by kewel7 : 12 December 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Add in a few things

Old 12 December 2012   #48
Final

@jojo1975 It was super late at night and I had just watched Transformers Movie I dont know what I was thinking I got rid of that dumb flare haha. I really cant wait for the next challenge this was a ton of fun!

Here is a quick shader setup and A light setup of My Maya scene. Dont know if It will come in handy but who knows. 3 V-ray Rect Lights and 1 Dome for reflection and slight color.
I always Find this stuff fun to look at regardless

Old 12 December 2012   #49
@kewel
Texture are very good. I will make the glass look brighter now it seema tooo way dark even if it cast correct caustics. Also I will add a bit of contrast to the image more bright on the top and a bit less on the lower part. The shader for the ashtray probably will need a bit of work.

Old 12 December 2012   #50
ok.....looked all the entires ....and i found that everyone doing best.....ofcourse some very talented artists are also here ....and some of my friends are like me.....as i just started learning 3d , lighting and all stuff ....
and hats off to guys @prestonplatt @ArthurStaschyk
i will be back with some improvements .........thx to all friends who gave valuable feedback........ especially jojo1975

Old 12 December 2012   #51
Is this still going on? When is the deadline?

Old 12 December 2012   #52
The Challenge will go ahead at least for two more weeks so Beam up your PC during these holidays !

Old 12 December 2012   #53
First test...

original size

Old 12 December 2012   #54
Talking Smoke Old School

this is my final image for the challange
feel free to give feedback and comments , thanx in advance

Software used:

Maya 2012
Mental Ray
Aftereffects

Old 12 December 2012   #55
THE CHALLENGE WILL END ON THE 6th January 2013 at 12 GMT so please submit your final image for the gallery in the final image thread !

A bit of feedback
@ jdayan
Great start !
It seems there is something strange with the reflection of your glass (it seems the glass is distorted) also the pattern of your caustics looks very big. Probably you can try using a smaller light for casting them. The shader of the ashtray looks a bit bluish on my monitor (I don't' know why) try to make it a bit more scratched. The texture chosen are very good and also the overall mood of the image is very pleasant
@ pixeldompteur
it's a great start and almost finished !. I will make a bit of dirt in the texture of the bottle near the sugar. All the shaders look very good. I will try to contrast a bit more the image. the coffee smoking is a very keen detail more real than real
@ preston
thanks for sharing the breakdown and also for explaining me about the skateboard. Also why don't' you give it a strange fancy texture ?
@ Kewel7
try with a lighter glass that can really boost your scene !

Thanks to all for taking part to this challenge ! Next one will start soon and it will be a bit complicated one

Old 12 December 2012   #56
@prestonplatt - how can you get the salt & pepper to look grainy? Are they just textures?

Old 12 December 2012   #57
Jojo1975 I tried Turning the board around but it wasnt working out it was too distracting. The griptape has a pretty sweet texture on it but the blur takes away that detail.
Also Is there a Final Forum page to post to?

Panupat I used a bump map on the pepper other than that its just simple texturing. Felt like the salt would be to fine of a grain to add anything.

Here is another Final update with some foam on the coffee. Just keep tinkering with it

Old 12 December 2012   #58
Talking

@ jojo1975, thank you for the feedback , im on it

Old 01 January 2013   #59
Hi everyone !

Here is my current image. It's not finished yet so i'll post a new version soon

Edit : I updated the image and this is now my final output.

Last edited by GuillaumeBoizante : 01 January 2013 at 06:01 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #60
please post your final images HERE
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=185&t=1086438
Still a few days to go !

reply share thread