Lighting Challenge #30: Old school Smoke, no Smoke

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 11 November 2012   #31
Here is my 3rd WIP. Awesome feedback @jojo1975 and @ArthurStaschyk. For this update I worked mostly on the shaders. I will go in and add some more contrast in the lighting on my next pass. This has been a good opportunity to get my shaders to look more dirty and worn. I still dont get the character out of the scene I want yet but it will come im sure.

Im using Vray for Maya anyone know a good technique for layering shaders in Vray Like transparency textures for Dirt and extra Spec/Reflect???

@ndosanjh Try adjusting your colors and re modeling the liquid in the bottle your getting Artifacts from geometry intersecting with other geometry.

@williamJames Awesome Start. I like your comp (although maybe get rid of the framing of the image) Make sure on your images to turn off any filtering on the texturing. Maya does this without letting you know and it blurs your textures. Just make a change from quadratic to non with your texture image selected in the attribute editor. Also try coloring your lights a little you would not believe how much that can help.

@ArthurStaschyk Your image just keeps getting better. So fun to see your Wips. Awesome work

Old 11 November 2012   #32
Thanks jojo1975 for taking the leadership in this challenge. I was awaiting for the next challenge to test some new techniques.

I am going to use Maya 2012 and give a try to Mental Ray with Mental Core.

@prestonplatt

Really nice render and I love the little detail that you added. Like the salt and the coffee marks on the table.

@ArthurStaschyk
Like the composition and the caustics effects on the glass. Just my 2 cents but I would work a little more to the ash on the cigarette.

I will upload something tomorrow.

Old 11 November 2012   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonplatt
Im using Vray for Maya anyone know a good technique for layering shaders in Vray Like transparency textures for Dirt and extra Spec/Reflect???

VRay Blend Mtl is what you're looking for.

I'm seeing awesome work being made here. I have to worry with my submission if I am to recieve the good feedback.

Old 11 November 2012   #34
@prestonplatt and ArthurStaschyk: Thank u very much.......for ur suggestion it really help me to understand the lighting and whole process to achieve realism ........
BUT i have question how to get bokeh i m using 3ds Max 2011 And vray for rendering ......please help me......thanks in advance
@ArthurStaschyk: can u please tell me the light setup of ur scene coz its looks like a real pic....

Old 11 November 2012   #35
Thanks ndosanjh, I put a quick LightLayer screen together with the contribution of all my LightSources into the final image.
As you can see the HDRI does the basic mood, like a studio surrounding. From here I placed some lights to clear out some areas of the scene.

The green long mesh is just a helper for me to aim the tight IES light for the caustics.
Some of the other lights have black "collars", that tighten the light beam a little. Since I work with Indigo I have some great physical render Engine out of the box, but can't trick much with invisible point or spotlights with custom falloffs etc.

The HDRI is taken from here, its the "Old Industrial Hall"

Old 11 November 2012   #36
Sweet just a quick doodle to get started, maya/vray:

Last edited by visua : 11 November 2012 at 11:52 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #37
Hi, here is my first wip.... its a test render.... i will try to work focusing in the glass... a lot of things to do yet but you get the idea.

Old 11 November 2012   #38
My current progress:

http://i.imgur.com/0Ac1A.png

I have a single light dome with blurry HDR for diffuse + spec and clear HDR for reflections. I used this to develop the shader look and I'm kinda happy with the way they turned out. Still need more details, but I feel that I can safely start lighting the scene.

And that's where my inexperience comes in. What process do you guys use for this? Fetch a reference image and replicate it? I don't know, I'm seeing this result and don't really know where to put my lights, although I do have a specific look in mind. You know, that 40's detective Dick Tracy office look, with the blinds down and some warm colour flooding in. I do have reference images for that but I seem to have hit a roadblock. Maybe I should just try stuff out and go crazy, but I was thinking (obsessing) about this too much and decided it would be best to share with you guys.

So yeah, please tell me what you think. I also need to offer my input to you guys, as I feel I'm being selfish, so I'll be doing that later.

Last edited by FranciscoSCN : 12 December 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #39
here is my first post

maya/vray

Last edited by xyounx82 : 12 December 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #40

my first work in progress. need some more texture work on cigar box, maybe break up specs on wood?

what do you guys think?

Old 12 December 2012   #41
So I went through turned off texture filtering, the table still seems quite blurred but I think that is a combination of a poor file and me needing to tweak my depth of field more as I'm having to render DoF in maya as I still haven't saved enough pennys for photoshop and neither of the other image editing software I own supports camera blur using a Z map. So I'll look for a better texture for that and tweak the dof this week. Also I sorted the issue with the sugar jar brightening the background, for some reason I seemed to have some ambient color on it and tweaked the refraction's through it. Got rid of that silly border, thanks prestonplatt :P The sauce bottle was far too saturated so dropped that down and increased the bump for the molding a little. Think my two biggest problems now are the coffee stains looking very "flat?", like they are just sort of stuck on the image and the horrid blocky shadow on the pepper shaker. Anyone know what would cause that block effect on the shadow and how to sort it?

Old 12 December 2012   #42
Hi,

First of all let me say,

@jojo1975: Great challenge, is exactly what i was hoping for!

@ArthurStaschyk: Awesome job till now, your work is beautfiul and really inspiring!!

Here my first entry for this challenge, first i have focused to get a nice composition and light mood. Shadings are still in wip altought im happy with the glass and the icecubes by now, still many detail to be added.

Hope you like it!

Ps: Im usign 3dsmax+vray and PS for colorcorrection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lighting_challenge_30_v007.jpg (91.7 KB, 59 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #43
@ Vampire2584. Great Start.
About shaders. I like the glass and also the bottle. Ashtray need a bit of work and also the cigar texture (you need to put ash on the cigar). The wood of the table is perfect (and I like the detail of the small screw).
About lighting. Caustics are very good and also the whole material for the glass. in my monitor the image look a bit too overexposed on the front I will dim a bit the light to give a more nice nuance to the image.
@ Vital.
Great Start. about shaders. I will change the ashtray shaders. Too glossy and dark for an ashtray. More reflection will help. I would also change the placement a bit of the matchbox, it looks distracting. Also add a bit of dirt (small scratches) to the glass. Even the cleanest glass is not so clean as in CG . Lighting is good as start. Increase caustics and also dim a bit the light on the back ! Keep going !
@Visua. Shaders looks very good but too clean. Add a bit of dirt. Dont' overdue with bloom... it is becoming the new lens flare )) (even if a bit of it is very good). try to give more contrast to the whole scene if possible now it's a bit flat. (use negative lighting if needed)
@Arthur Thanks a lot for the suggestions and pass. I really love your image. Why dont' you try also the non smoke ? Or just why dont' you try a different lighting (night for example with only a bit of light coming from a spotlight ?)
@ndosanjh Great start. About shader. The teapot look a bit too reflective and the whole image is a bit too clean. Add dirt (world is a dirt place ) ) Also you need to adjust the metallic surface of your scene that now look a bit more mother of pearl for sugar and small glass bottle. The texture of the jam (nestle) should be checked with a reference on dimension. Give more contrast to your image. and keep going
@Preston. Great image. Just to be curious what is that grey object on the background ? Why dont' you try without it one render. Also I will be very curious to see color variation of the image. You dont' need to render anything, just have fun with post process. Now it looks a lot an Instagram photo. You can try also a different look

To see some examples of color grading and have fun http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.it/20...lease-stop.html
@FeD waiting to see how you continue with the shaders. I don't understand why the liquid is so red on the interface. Is it the color of the light or chromatic aberration ?
@William. Before focusing on DOF and put a frame, post some WIP so we can give feedback in the whole process for creating the image. Try at first a render with no shader (just a flat grey, a bit reflective) and with your light. Now the illumination look too flat. Wellcome to our forum. Keep going and post WIP

jojo

Old 12 December 2012   #44
WIP 4

@Jojo1975 Thanks for the input I tried to apply some color correction. The grey thing is a skateboard. I took it out for a couple renders and I didn't like the blank space. I decided to add a little lens flare. @WilliamJames good progress keep going. Make sure your looking at the reference image for inspiration on parts of your image. Also Maybe look for Higher res textures. I have been thinking about restarting my image and go for some photo realism with some different techniques. Its been fun trying out some different stuff for this image.

Old 12 December 2012   #45
First Ever Submission

Here is my first submission.. Just a WIP.. Hope to get more accomplished after finals. Please let me know what you think.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

reply share thread