One important skill in lighting is being able to match the look and feel of a render to a backplate, another shot, concept art, photograph, film, etc..
Recently from one of CGSociety's Hardcore Modeling Challenges, Pixar Tribute, A participant by the name of Sapna Mondol has graciously donated a tribute scene of Gusteau's Kitchen from Pixar's film, Ratatouille. Your goal for this challenge is to collect reference images and then replicate a similar look to a scene in the film. This is not an easy task by any means, the original kitchen took many artists an incredible number of hours to complete. You will have about 3 months to complete this challenge, April 22nd 2012.
Here are some sites with references to get you started:
- Since the film Ratatouille is property of Pixar I ask that you do not post any images or videos from the film in this thread. I will have to remove them if you do.
- If posting your own rendered images or video of this scene anywhere out of this thread, please credit Sapna Mondol for the modeling.
- Use any 3d software and techniques you would like.
- Changes to the scene are allowed but not required.
- Post your work in progress by replying to this thread so you can receive feedback
- Feel free to share any extra information or breakdowns to show your techniques or lighting set-up.
- Ask questions and give feedback
- Enjoy yourself!