Lighting Challenge #28: Captain's Log

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2011   #61
cam2_1

by sivaavatar

Old 10 October 2011   #62
cam2_2

by sivaavatar

Old 10 October 2011   #63
siva1

by sivaavatar

Old 10 October 2011   #64
hi everybody

stage 1
[/IMG][/IMG]http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1835/pirate3.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by lighthunder : 10 October 2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: that was not correct

Old 10 October 2011   #65
hi everybody great renders....

stage 1

Last edited by lighthunder : 10 October 2011 at 04:44 AM. Reason: little correction

Old 10 October 2011   #66
here is my first try

i used vrayforc4d proxy2 for instancing the ships round about 30
also combining this with new r13 xref system for switching low/high poly ship

the enviroment fog is new to me and i spend hours to tweak settings...

please give me some feedback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shordy_Captains_Log_e.jpg (48.6 KB, 153 views)

Old 10 October 2011   #67
Hi everyone,

Here's my second try. I changed the camera-angle a bit and tuned down the ocean. I added fog and also a bit of particle spray in front of the ship. Minor tweaking in PS (fog & depth pass gliches mainly, noise, levels etc.)

Cheers,
Mikko

Old 10 October 2011   #68
Thumbs up wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

wowwwwwwwww.........niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 10 October 2011   #69
Looking at my own image after a couple of hours makes me think if I should rotate the sky so that the brighter cloud area would be behind the ship. In that way the contrast would help separate the ship from the background. At the moment it seems to dissappear at some spots...

Old 10 October 2011   #70
Lots of feedback

mikkokuri: Nice update. The sky in your image could be quite a bit brighter. In general, the sky should be brighter than the diffuse lighting in the scene. Once the sky is brighter you'll probably need a brighter reflection of the sky in the water. Looking forward to more progress.

Shordy: Good concept! With such a bright sun I'd expect brighter reflections of it in the water and on the edges of the ships. The sails of the ships could use more translucency, especially in the area near the sun. Keep going!

lighthunder: Good start. Overall the image has too much ambient light, especially since the sun is in the image. It's strange being able to see through the sails. They should be more translucent instead of transparent. Here's a reference image you might find helpful http://www.flickr.com/photos/chevywally/4671838925/

sivaavatar2010: Welcome! It's hard to see a lot of your image because it's so dark. Most importantly, the sky could use some brightening. The glow on back of the ship and the lava is too intense, it may look better if the glow is much more subtle. Here's an image that may help you as a reference http://images.wikia.com/lotr/images/8/8c/Mount_doom.png

Behrendt: Coming along nicely. The wave directly under the ship looks too diffuse for water. I think it's because of the contrast of the mist on the ship and the green color of the wave. Maybe giving the wave more of a white cap similar in color and brightness to the mist on the ship. The cloud in the sky above the ship looks out of place. It looks as if it's being lit by direct sunlight which doesn't match with the rest of the image.

Borreworks: Welcome! Your lighting lacks dark values. If you're using an ambient light make sure to multiply it by occlusion. Also, try to match the colors of the lights in your scene more to your sky.

Leotril: Great start! Your sky tells me that the sun is setting (or rising) on the left side of the image but the lighting on the ship and shadows in the fog makes me thick that the light is coming from the upper right part of the image. Where the sky meets the water on the right side of the image is oddly dark. I'm not sure what would cause this. Keep at it!

koushik_routh: Always nice to have newcomers. Neat concept, interested to see how you reproduce this in 3d.

chickenkts: Your image has a very nice quality to it. The ship is very organic. Compositionally I think you could benefit from a vertical format. I'd expect to see the moon reflected in the water.

urgaffel: Creative take on the scene. In your first image, since the sun is in the image I'd expect darker diffuse lighting with more of a silhouette. Hope you can bring this one further.

runejw: Nice work. The sails seem to be getting much more diffuse lighting than the rest of the boat and could use some darkening. The sky looks too bright to me for being a night image. Keep going.

Old 10 October 2011   #71
thank you so much i ll work on it..

Old 10 October 2011   #72
Hi guys, this challenge is awesome!!if i have enough time i shall have a go. when i first read the 'we are lost in an unknown sea' i thought of Sir Ernest Shackletons and his Antarctic Exploration ( i know a bit random), so i might have the ship drifting through chunks of polar ice caps, and have a huge alien wall of ice blocking its path (still need a bit more thought). anyway, loving everyones renders so far, keep it up.

Old 10 October 2011   #73
hi

nice scene...
wip

and this is final . i like strip look ..

Last edited by djidji : 10 October 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Old 10 October 2011   #74
I really, really wanted to get into this one. However the obj file I think is just too large for my pitiful computer to open in Carrara 8. I've tried for hours during the past weeks. Eh. I'm enjoying viewing other's progress at least!

Old 10 October 2011   #75
Problems 3ds max 2011

There are problems opening with 3ds Max 2011, please put it to that version.

reply share thread