Lighting Challenge #3: Hairy Hare

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2006
Thanks everyone for crits and comments.

Quote: Wonderful! It looks like you posted a painting.

The rabbits are a bit small so I can't say much about the fur, but that backdrop with the sun there could really motivate a strong sense that everything is back-lit. The grass, the rabbits' ears, anything that can show translucency or rim light, could be getting some in a scene like that. (I wonder about how blown-out the sun is in the background, too, if a little more color and detail worked into the blown area would complete the painterly look...)

Well, i thought it's more about lightning/color and composition after all, rather then fur So you are completely right about the paintarly look, because i didn't wanted to spend hours tweaking and rerendering the fur, so I've just made a realy quick renders of the grass and the rabbit, just "as-is", and got the final picture in compositing.

Quote: michael_fd I really like your work so far. Definitely very nice, and painterly like Jeremy pointed out. What are you using to work on this?

Thanks again
It's Maya and as i said before mainly compositing - Shake.
Here's a little "making-of":

04 April 2006
lighting challenge

hi dex, i use hairs to produce grass in max 8.

04 April 2006
Hey guys, very cool stuff.

Vijay I haven't really used Max that much (just the particles), so I didn't know they had built in hair system.

Michael, is that Maya hair/fur or are you using shave and a haircut? Sorry, I should have been more specific. I went to school for Maya, but use XSI at work so I'm using XSI hair (shave and a haircut). So I was interested in comparison. Definitely great so far.

04 April 2006
Very nice

Quote: Thanks again
It's Maya and as i said before mainly compositing - Shake.
Here's a little "making-of":

http://fd.pbnet.ru/making-of.jpg

This is so nice. It immediately made me think of Watership Down.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078480/

04 April 2006
After seeing all these cool postings, I decided to give it a try. I've never used Maya Fur or Paint Effects before other than playing around, so this was a challenge to learn. Maya is clunky feeling to me coming from XSI and Lightwave, but I'm starting to feel much better with it. (It can do almost anything except feed the cats and clean the dishes) I just hate when things "break" for no reason, like fur descriptions, etc...LOL.

Here's my first attempt...

Thanks,

Kev

04 April 2006
Quote: Michael, is that Maya hair/fur or are you using shave and a haircut? Sorry, I should have been more specific. I went to school for Maya, but use XSI at work so I'm using XSI hair (shave and a haircut). So I was interested in comparison. Definitely great so far.

Yup, its shave + native software render.

Quote: This is so nice. It immediately made me think of Watership Down.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078480/

Thanks, but unfortunatly never saw this movie :(

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by dax3d: Hey guys, very cool stuff.

Vijay I haven't really used Max that much (just the particles), so I didn't know they had built in hair system.

Yeah -- max now has shave & a haircut built in

05 May 2006
delpadre
i Like ur Camera Flash Light Effect i just wana know how u achieved it ? what sort of light is placed and what setting would be thankfull to u

05 May 2006
Hi All,

Nice Thread, I really appreciate this kind of friendly C&C challenge. I decide to give a try to mental ray fur. I try 2 different mood. I personnaly prefer the second one though I think it seems perhaps a little bite underlite.

Hope you like those.

ps: sorry for my terrible english

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by pleasent: delpadre
i Like ur Camera Flash Light Effect i just wana know how u achieved it ? what sort of light is placed and what setting would be thankfull to u

Hi I will post some screen shots and info tonight.

05 May 2006
I went back into this for a bit this afternoon and some of the hair stuff (so close to writing hare there) finally clicked. For a still it doesn't seem fantastically complicated, but it plays out as the type of tool that you must have a 'back to front' grasp of before you can make a lot of progress. Combing is one of the parts where experience would play a big role -- experience and a fast computer .

This is darker then I had in mind originally, and is sort of aching for the lack of bounce and ambient. On the amusing side the harsh key with almost takes a feel of film noir, on a bunny. The angle isnít kind either, it seemed interesting in the beginning, but as I went on it wound up more of a handicap then I expected. The narrative would run along the lines of him working his way towards the dark then hearing something that freezes him, or if you're less kind he just noticed his own shadow

Iím applying what I got out of this to another scene right now and itís started off well ó this was a great exercise to head into fur for the first time.

There is a lot of good work in the thread, and it's reassuring to see everyone making progress together michael_fd's painterly version is really remarkable, nice one

--- Edit: A little less gloom in this one.

Last edited by kary : 05 May 2006 at 02:52 AM.

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by delpadre: Hi I will post some screen shots and info tonight.

THnkx I Will Be waiting for that

05 May 2006
Nice lighting and composition.

05 May 2006
Talking

Wow guys nice stuff !!
kary, I like your new composition a lot, very nice ! Shadows are working great.
kevb3d, good start. Now just put one light enable shadowing and let us see what you get. good luck.

kaelmd, very nice too, maybe the depth of field is too strong I guess it toke ages to render out right?
SoLiTuDe I've just seen your tiger-bunny looks cool lol.

I've thought it's interesting to try the night scene setup, here is what I got

Keep it up guys.

Last edited by lazzhar : 05 May 2006 at 06:14 PM.

05 May 2006
Hi Kaelmd -

Nice work!

The night one is a little too uniform in tone, and have a very saturated blue that doesn't quite work.

The day one is really nice, but the composition doesn't really lead your eye as gracefully as it could to the rabbit. I feel as if my eyes settle on the orange center-foreground areas, where the ground looks soft and fluffy. Maybe the rabbit could just be bigger and taller, so his back cut into the bright orange area that is a few inches above his tail now, that could make him read as a more integral part of the composition?

-jeremy

Originally Posted by kaelmd: Hi All,

Nice Thread, I really appreciate this kind of friendly C&C challenge. I decide to give a try to mental ray fur. I try 2 different mood. I personnaly prefer the second one though I think it seems perhaps a little bite underlite.

Hope you like those.

ps: sorry for my terrible english

reply share thread